PDA

View Full Version : Technically...

raise the zag
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
The Zags have to beat BYU *twice* AND St Mary's at home to even keep pace for a Co-Championship this season.

Easier said than done. :(

The Cougars have lost two straight at home, are backed into a corner, claws out, & waiting for the Zags. BYU had just flown home from an East Coast trip and Gaels caught them at the right time, tired & confident after beating an ACC team on the road.

Are we up for the challenge next Thursday? We have no choice.

Crazy to think every. single. game. is a must-win at this point(or else).

People will reference last season, yet all we had to do was win ONE game vs St Marys head-to-head, this year its 3 outta 3 and vs better opponents, not to mention LMU with DuBois(had 19pts last night) back.

Lastly, I don't see this particular SMC team dropping a game to USD either. They learned the hard way last season and playing with a big-time chip on their shoulder right now.

Both teams are on a Mission, yet we have to prove we can ALSO beat BYU twice...gulp....

Zag@LMU
01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Technically, all we have to do is carry ourselves and do what we have to do to win. And that will be enough. In reality, other teams successes or failures is really irrelevant to our end goals.

zagzilla
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
SMC is very impressive right now. People were talking about how 6 of their last 9 WCC games were on the road and they were bound to drop some. Well they have now won the first 3 of those 6 on the road in some tough buildings. They will be confident coming in to Spokane and rightfully so.

Pressure is squarely on GU. Hard to believe we are under the gun due to just a single loss. That's the new WCC for you.

ZZ

bartruff1
01-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Technically...without a collapse...the only streak at risk is the string of Conference Championships. I don't want to minimize that, but it will not be the only thing that will define our season. In the end, IMHO , if we have a sucessful NCAA that will be the measure of the season. For example, if we lose the Campionship and go to the Elite Eight .... ? Looks to me like we are in the NCAA ....

zagitarious
01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
If byu plays anything like they've played in the 3 games i've watched them this season, i think the zags wont have too hard a time getting a sweep.

zagademic
01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Gonzaga can beat BYU, and at home we can beat anyone we want to. Our season is about to get interesting.

Ezag
01-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Technically, we need to play a lot better than we did the past couple of games or it's a mute point.... One loss to even BYU this Thur will spell the end of the streak.

coolhandzag
01-30-2012, 08:37 AM
The ball club need to focus playing their best ball for the next game, and the next game only.

gamagin
01-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Technically...without a collapse...the only streak at risk is the string of Conference Championships. I don't want to minimize that, but it will not be the only thing that will define our season. In the end, IMHO , if we have a sucessful NCAA that will be the measure of the season. For example, if we lose the Campionship and go to the Elite Eight .... ? Looks to me like we are in the NCAA ....

too much hand-wringing, shallow, Eeyore-like analysis going on, imo. If we can't beat the teams in the WCC we need to beat, we don't deserve to move on. They do.

And squeaking in to the history books may be thrilling to some, but historically, it will always include an asterisk if it isn't done with vigor and unanimous consent that we earned it and deserved it, versus some alternative.

We actually have until the league tourney to work our way in to the dance. We have a week or so to stay in the WCC crown hunt and we are in complete control of our destiny. What else could we hope for ?

Just do it.

Zagsker
01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
too much hand-wringing, shallow, Eeyore-like analysis going on, imo. If we can't beat the teams in the WCC we need to beat, we don't deserve to move on. They do.

And squeaking in to the history books may be thrilling to some, but historically, it will always include an asterisk if it isn't done with vigor and unanimous consent that we earned it and deserved it, versus some alternative.

We actually have until the league tourney to work our way in to the dance. We have a week or so to stay in the WCC crown hunt and we are in complete control of our destiny. What else could we hope for ?

Just do it.

exactly:thumbsup:

Baseline
01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
BYU is a wounded animal right now, they can be very dangerous!

I have a gut feeling that Carlino has found himself and will give GU fits, hope I'm wrong.

MDABE80
01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I do think we can beat BYU twice. In the time between Thursday and the following Thurdays, Few ill need to devise a sytem for SMC. We do have the talent to win and win at home. I have my own ideas how I would defend them. Later on that. For now though, our offense is a good one. When we stink it up though, it's pretty bad.
Defensive work will win the SMC game.

Meanwhile BYU is of ultimate focus in the next few days. THAT place will be laying for the refs as much as us. I hope we don't get called for everything seen and unseen just to appease the BYU fans. Control their bigs, and run at BYU hard and we win. I do hope our kids are practicing FT's. We're up to 70% on the season.....we'll need better. Something tells me the BYU brains will be thinking they're still playing SMC. Some odd form of payback......just get the "W" and leave town on our jet.

SMC will lose one besides us. If we don't beat em head to head, I don't think (painful though it might be) any of us would think us a league champions. I mean seriously...we get swept, we might find the Swt 16, but the league championship won't be ours.

kitzbuel
01-31-2012, 07:13 AM
IMO, the good news is that the outcome is still entirely in the Zags hands. They still control their own destiny and, as of yet, do not have to rely on the insertion of God's will like last year's SMC defeat by USD (and they thought God was a Gael...).