PDA

View Full Version : What bears repeating

MickMick
01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=726450#post726450)

Saint Marys is the best team GU has faced. Better than Michigan State. Better than Illinois.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=732162#post732162)

Gotta stop Jones and now Waldow. Mitch Young has a history of playing out of his mind against the Zags. Holt has great all around game as well.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=727825#post727825)
This is SMC's race to lose. They certainly look like a team that can win in Utah.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=729764#post729764)

I think the best GU can hope for is to beat BYU and SMC at home, then hope that SMC doesn't take it to BYU in Utah.

That is asking a lot for all of those things to happen. SMC is in the driver's seat as they have already protected their home floor against both BYU and GU.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=734687#post734687)

I personally believe that SMC takes them to the woodshed and the Marriot Center rhetoric will kick up another notch.

That would be just before GU goes in there.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=732461#post732461)

I don't notice anything out of the ordinary except his noticeable mouthpiece.

He is a magnificient player and you can tell that his biggest improvement stems from SMC being "his" team. He runs the show and he runs it very well. Even when the rest of his team has an off night, Dellevedova is contributing enough to win.

There isn't a PAC 12 guard playing near the level that Delly is. A Zag victory over SMC begins and ends with accounting for him.

link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=733463#post733463)

The Zags are very, very good. The top of the WCC is very good. SMC has the capacity to beat any team on the West Coast. BYU and LMU are not chopped liver.

Oregonzagnut
01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I hope they get overconfident with all this. But St Marys has 10 years of desire, anger and rage to beat Gonzaga again this year. Our streak? :explode: We better want it more than St Marys wants it.

I can tell you right now, they want 1 conference championship more then we want our 12th consecutive. So it will depend on how much more skilled we are and how much luck we can conjure. That is not a cut on our guys but a compliment to their guys. It is clear fact. SMC wants this more than any team has shown lately and they have the determination to finish it off.

MDABE80
01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Abe says "We can take em"

DixieZag
01-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I am not sure about the "go further in the tournament than GU ever did" - that is setting the bar pretty high.

I also don't really think there is much difference in which team wants the title more, its just at this piont, one team has pulled away in the quality of play. Given that SMC racked the "Y" and BYU has to go to the east coast to play a game they could lose, GU will face the angriest, most motivated team in the conference - I seriously doubt we come out with a decisive victory like LMU and SMC - a one point victory is good enough for me right now.

It is theoretically possible to win out until the SMC game, but I just don't see it in the level of play that our guys are showing, to this point. We made a nice little turnaround last year when our backs were against the wall, it could happen again but I have a tough time seeing beating SMC at our place right now.

FlyZag
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
The Gaels sure look good this year. They are a good TEAM!

If we fail to win our 12th straight... At least it will be to a better team & not some 'fluke' and not to some newcomer named BYU. The streak is something to be proud of. But to me, winning in March is more important.

The Gaels just put a ton of pressure on us to win in Provo on Thursday. If we don't win, the odds of us winning the conference become very slim. When was the last time that BYU lost 3 in a row at home? Odds are against us.

awberke
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Is this the toot your own horn thread or am i lost?

Oregonzagnut
01-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Abe says "We can take em"

Oregon agrees we can!!! But will we take 'em? On paper we are better but on the court we are one game behind the better "team"?

The whole of St Marys is better than the sum of its parts. The part that they have is sheer will and determination. I see no other team in the NCAA Div 1 who wants their conference championship more.

MickMick
01-29-2012, 01:29 AM

Why yes it is.

Give me good sampling of yours.

cjm720
01-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Why yes it is.

Give me good sampling of yours.

Lmfao

Zag365
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
The Gaels just put a ton of pressure on us to win in Provo on Thursday. If we don't win, the odds of us winning the conference become very slim. When was the last time that BYU lost 3 in a row at home? Odds are against us.

yes, yes, and yes. this is a do-or-die (to have a chance at extending the streak).

ZagAddict
01-29-2012, 08:49 AM
SMC got BYU at just the right time in Provo with BYU coming off an east coast trip this week in a tough game against Virginia Tech. BYU now has time to rest up before their match up against GU in Provo on Thursday. You can bet they are confident that they can beat us after seeing us in the NCAA tournament last year, and know that this is a HUGE game for their conference standings and fight for a NCAA bid in March.

SMC is certainly in the driver's seat, and now GU will get their turn to prove their worth as a possible WCC champion. It starts with BYU in Provo next Thursday...

rijman
01-29-2012, 10:50 AM
The Zag-BYU game is likely do or die for both. If the Zags were to fall, they won't, they would be playing for 2nd place with 2 losses unless SMC choked their way down the stretch like they did last year. With 4 losses BYU would be out of the hunt for the top 2 seeds in a dogfight for 3rd place. St. Mary's is a good team, but will they continue playing at their current level and can they do it in Spokane especially after the Zags have already seen them once this season? We'll know soon enough.

ZagHouse
01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
BYU scares me a bit more than St. Mary's right now. Another loss on Thursday would mean three home losses in a row. SMC I think comes in over-confident. I see Jones trying to do too much and forcing things because he barely scored last game, and I see Waldow struggling against Sacre and Dower this time around. No way we get beat up on the boards again. If Marquise continues to play well, I think he can be the X factor given that he knows this team and was integral in helping us beat them at home and in Vegas. That being said, SMC looks damn impressive considering they played no one outside of Baylor, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went undefeated.

How about this for a worst case scenario: SMC wins the conference title and surpasses our deepest run in the NCAA's by reaching the Final Four. You think their fans are classless now.

northsidezagfan
01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Predicting St. Mary's was going to be good is no big accomplishment.... congrats?

zagfan1
01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
GU will beat BYU in Provo on Thursday having one week to prepare. My prediction is that GU will win out and tie St Mary's for the WCC conference title. St Mary's will lose in Spokane as Carter and Edi progress. The Zags will also shoot lights out and beat St Mary's by 12. End of story:)

primal23
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
GU will beat BYU in Provo on Thursday having one week to prepare. My prediction is that GU will win out and tie St Mary's for the WCC conference title. St Mary's will lose in Spokane as Carter and Edi progress. The Zags will also shoot lights out and beat St Mary's by 12. End of story:)

Been awhile since GU shot lights out, even in K2. I say split with byu and lose both to smc.

SDzagster
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Isn't the guy that started this thread the same guy who predicted the Zags would take down St.Mary's by at least 8 points in Moraga?

Oregonzagnut
01-30-2012, 01:40 AM
If I tooted my own horn it would sound something in between a foghorn and a whoopie cushion.

An example of how jaded i am as a fan, I think we have underperformed at 17-3 and the only game we lost to a better team was at Moraga. Illinois and Michigan St were well within our grasp but we were sloppy and lacked cohesion.

St Marys is the best team we have played this year. I hate to say it and it actually hurts deep down inside that we should be 19-1 and a top 10 team. If we can get in "the zone" in Provo and when St Marys comes to Spokane, we have a chance.

If we stick to our game plan and if we can hit over 75% of our FT's and we stay under 10 TO's per game, we will win out.

there is my toot.

MickMick
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Isn't the guy that started this thread the same guy who predicted the Zags would take down St.Mary's by at least 8 points in Moraga?

Yes and it was that game that changed everything for me.

I was an immediate believer after that. Meanwhile a good portion of folks thought it was an anomaly.

Yes. I am tooting my own horn.

The hindsight thing is pretty funny as well. Of course everyone knew that SMC would be really good. Only a dummy would think that they couldn't dominate the conference.

So how many knew that SMC would take BYU to the woodshed in Utah and that the Mariott Center would raise the rhetoric a notch? I kinda think I nailed that one.

Sheesh you dummy Mick. Everyone knew that would happen as well.

JPtheBeasta
01-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Mick, you have enough clout and respect on this board (including from myself, fwiw) that you do not need all of this self-aggrandizement. Just look in the mirror and say...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jX9QklC3G4E/TM8lAt040UI/AAAAAAAADRI/eW0s2_t1W9c/s400/Stuart_Smalley.jpg

"I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me."

gamagin
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
as she kissed her cow.

maynard g krebs
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Interesting... I just reread that thread, and a couple posts later, someone pointed out that SMC's perimeter attack was too good to stop if they are hitting their 3's, pointing out their 17 assist per game average.

Wondering if the tooter still thinks Xavier's guards are better than SMC's, as he once asserted?

MickMick
01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Interesting... I just reread that thread, and a couple posts later, someone pointed out that SMC's perimeter attack was too good to stop if they are hitting their 3's, pointing out their 17 assist per game average.

Wondering if the tooter still thinks Xavier's guards are better than SMC's, as he once asserted?

Two months ago I would have said yes. We are talking about a pre season All American paired with a seasoned senior companion for a guard combination. Just about every pre season publication, based on merit from last season, had Xavier in the top 10, and their guard combination as the primary reason why.

The season didn't play out that way. Dellevedova and Holt are playing at a higher level than Gaddy and Wroten. Better than Jared Cunningham and Ahmad Starks for Oregon State. Better than the pair for Xavier. Better than the pair for GU.

Can they maintain it down the stretch? We shall see.

The game against GU was the start for me. I was immediately convinced. The guard play for SMC is extremely good.