PDA

View Full Version : What USF coach said about Sam

EuroZag2010
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
RT @USFBBallCoach Note 2 GU TV. I like Dower as a player, but he wouldn't start @ USF. Please stop putting down rest of WCC 2 compliment GU

Hmmm I hope Dower puts 20 on them!

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Classless to call out an individual player on Twitter. Truly classless. And Sam would be starting on every WCC team this season except for GU and BYU. Believe that!

EuroZag2010
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I want to tweet him so badly!! And give him a piece but I am not going to. Note to Rex, it's not "GU tv" it's ESPN something you don't see much of when USF is playing unless they are playing GU or BYU. These are ESPN analysts...

Just keep doing work Sam that's all I gotta say.

jazzdelmar
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
at the same time, which coach had Dower in the NBA for sure? that kind of talk is as irresponsible and unfounded as this jack of all arses. maybe Dower has been reading the positive clips too much. he has played awful, almost not the same player. Walters does look like he has a chip on his shoulder. Bulletin to Rex: You're not in Kansas anymore.

raise the zag
01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Bulletin to Rex: You're not in Kansas anymore.

Rex is a good guy and solid coach,

yet, as I mentioned last summer, he seems to bring up his "Kansas days" in every single interview, article, chance he gets to say, "When I was at Kansas...yada yada yada".

I've noticed this on numerous occasions.

btw, why is this 'putting down the rest of the WCC' as he put it?

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Can you say bulletin board material.

I also hope Sam drops 30 on them.

awberke
01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
The truth is that GU gets better recruits. I don't understand how it is putting down another team by saying one of our bench players would start at another school.

What kind of coach tweets that stuff anyways? "Waaa, commentators are picking on us"

primal23
01-27-2012, 02:32 PM
This is the same coach who had to sit out the first few WCC games for a "sportsmanship" violation. Stay classy Rexy

Ezag
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
sounds like Rex Ryan

raise the zag
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
This is the same coach who had to sit out the first few WCC games for a "sportsmanship" violation. Stay classy Rexy

Rex Walters suspended for WCC opener
By Diamond Leung

San Francisco coach Rex Walters has been suspended for next season's West Coast Conference opener and publicly reprimanded by the WCC due to a violation of the league's sportsmanship guidelines.

"The West Coast Conference and its membership take its sportsmanship principles and standards very seriously," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said Friday in a statement. "It is of the utmost importance for our coaches, student-athletes and administrators to represent the values of our institutions and the conference in an appropriate manner.

"I look forward to putting this matter behind us and working with the University of San Francisco and coach Walters as they continue to build a successful men's basketball program on the Hilltop."

Zaninovich and Walters each declined further comment.

Walters, the former Kansas and NBA player, led San Francisco to a 19-15 record in his third season and an appearance in the CollegeInsider.com tournament.

what did he do?

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I thought he kicked the opposing teams ball boy after they lost or something.

Zag4Hire
01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Apparently, he even rubs non-conference teams the wrong way. Pretty good read and I have to say if what these posters are saying is true, he is an embarrassment to the WCC. He makes Keating look like Brad Stevens.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/60758-USF-coach-suspended

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I think he is just trying to move the attention away from his crappy W-L record hoping that he can keep getting a paycheck for a bit longer.

When they can him...I will not be sorry to see him leave the WCC -- let's get someone in there with a little class.

EuroZag2010
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
On their board some poster is giving a reason for "standing up for his players" no one was attacking USF...

If Mark Few said.. " USF starter are nice players I like their game but they would only start for GU if I have bigfoots baby"

^^^^ joke re bigfoot.

I think it's not classy players never talk smack about each other like that on twitter for the WHOLE WORLD to read

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
at the same time, which coach had Dower in the NBA for sure? that kind of talk is as irresponsible and unfounded as this jack of all arses. maybe Dower has been reading the positive clips too much. he has played awful, almost not the same player. Walters does look like he has a chip on his shoulder. Bulletin to Rex: You're not in Kansas anymore.

He's had more off nights than I personally expected from him this season, but "awful" is definitely not within the spectrum of adjectives I'd use to describe Sam's game.

Jakester425
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
That wasnt all he had to say. Usually its the players you have to talk to about posting this crap...great example coach. I also love how he keeps mentioning GU-TV aka ESPN :lmao:

Rex Walters @USFBBallCoach

Also don't like the fact that GU-TV shows the opponents BOB (baseline out of bounds) Plays...but won't show GU BOB Plays.

At least they should be able to figure out the correct standings if they are going to put it on the TV Screen.

Someone needs 2 let the Gonzaga TV network know that 3-5 (w-l) is better than 2-4. Bad enough that we have to listen to absolute HOMERS....

EuroZag2010
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
How old is this guy? I like how he calls ESPN "gu tv"

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
That wasnt all he had to say. Usually its the players you have to talk to about posting this crap...great example coach.

Also don't like the fact that GU-TV shows the opponents BOB (baseline out of bounds) Plays...but won't show GU BOB Plays.

At least they should be able to figure out the correct standings if they are going to put it on the TV Screen.

Someone needs 2 let the Gonzaga TV network know that 3-5 (w-l) is better than 2-4. Bad enough that we have to listen to absolute HOMERS....

My reaction...
http://www.theiinlife.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/steam-out-my-ears-300x258.jpg

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now...

Jakester425
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
How old is this guy? I like how he calls ESPN "gu tv"

Yeah its quite sad...I was actually editing my post when you said the same thing. I dont use twitter, but someone from here should tweet him.

primal23
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I wasn't able to have audio of the game last night, due to a sleeping baby, but is he referring to ESPN or Heister? Heister says ALL the time what Rexy is complaining about.

EuroZag2010
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
It was Sean Farnham and and an Arizona cat former bball player I dont recall his name

john montana
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Wow. The guy is d1 college basketball coach...what is he thinking?

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
The bulletin board material that he is providing our boys for the game at their house is great.

Still waiting for him to tweet something about our mascot, cheerleaders, Canadians or EHs mom.

Keep it up--the Zag boys will give you something to tweet about come game time.

Bing
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
What a do nothing loser.

TheZagPhish
01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Wow. The guy is d1 college basketball coach...what is he thinking?

Possibly about that next sportsmanship violation?

raise the zag
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.hoseheadforums.com/images/uploadedimages/Forums/media/Big%20Slim/Wambulance.jpg

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
It's funny how the fans on the dons site are supporting what he is saying (a couple of them realize what a "special' coach they have)--but the rest not so much---another classy bunch.

raise the zag
01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Meanwhile, this sign is posted on the door of Coach Few's office:

http://store.funnytimes.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/Nowhining.jpg

FlyZag
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM
When were these comments made? Wasn't he coaching the Dons @ SCU when GU was playing?

CarolinaZagFan
01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I didn't check, but is it verified this is actually USF's coach? I can't believe a coach would actually tweet that stuff. He's either unbelievably childish or he was completely wasted and should have a breathilizer in order to access Twitter in the future.

misszigzag
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow, totally bush league.

JPtheBeasta
01-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I didn't check, but is it verified this is actually USF's coach? I can't believe a coach would actually tweet that stuff. He's either unbelievably childish or he was completely wasted and should have a breathilizer in order to access Twitter in the future.

I wouldn't put it past the Don's board for a member to create an account like that, because it appears that someone over there had made an account in the past to make it look like one of the well-known GU boards members was posting over there. Someone has some sort of personal vendetta against a few people over here, which is really strange. It's a smarmy place over there and reading some of the threads gave me the creeps. They obviously don't like GU and think most of our players are over-rated. I don't know what that makes their players since they lose to us most of the time, but I digress.

DCZag
01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Guess Walters is channelling his inner Keating....couple of jealous @$$clowns

Psychozag
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
If Walters is able to win 11 WCC conference titles in a row, ESPN will kiss his ass like they kiss ours. Until then he shouldn't act like a 13 year old girl and tweet his grievances.

GoZags
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
What does "USF - tv" have to say about it? I think they had a webcast stream once, but I didn't hear Good or Reveno "tweet" about it.

sittingon50
01-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I basically like Rex. Seems like an obvious case of his medications being a bit out of balance & in need of adjustment.

Perhaps our medicos could discuss his blood gases.

zagitarious
01-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Not to mention one of the biggest college brawls of the last 20 years (X, UC) was fueled by comments similar to this one. Seems pretty immature and lame.

GoZags
01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
FWIW and to clarify, Rex Walters posted on the Dons Central thread that he was watching a tape of GU/USD when he made his series of "tweets".

Thus, he was referring to Root Sports, not ESPN.

Zag 77
01-27-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't know how Twitter works. I just learned to text on my cell phone 2 years ago.

How confident can we be that the tweet is really Walters?

If it is, my estimation of him just went down 1000%. I was inclined to give him credit for making USF basketball more relevant (based on last year).

zagmantis2001
01-27-2012, 07:40 PM
The dons central folks are a bunch of clowns, so its no surprise that their coach is a clown as well. Its the USF culture. #####ing about announcers, I have no problem with that, but going after one player? Idiot.

Ekrub
01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't understand, was this an unprovoked attack or a reply to something an ESPN analyst said?

Zag4Hire
01-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't care if there is a misunderstanding about which game he was watching, what he was attempting to say, he was trying to pump his troops, etc. Here is the bottom line: Coaches don't talk about players on other teams in a negative light. The WCC upholds a high standard of academic and athletic excellence. If you can't handle it, I am sure Bill Self is looking for a great ball boy to help out his guys during shootaround. One last thing Rexford, it states this on the USF site:

(San Francisco) - USF head coach Rex Walters is an active member on Twitter, the free social messaging utility for staying connected in real-time. Now Dons fans can log onto Rex Walters account and follow his hectic schedule in real time as he builds a winning program on the Hilltop. The second-year USF head coach will log on and provide up-to-the minute information on all things relating to Dons basketball.

Live up to that first and then we can talk.

xStartTodayx
01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
What kind of coach reads and posts on message boards?

FWIW and to clarify, Rex Walters posted on the Dons Central thread that he was watching a tape of GU/USD when he made his series of "tweets".

Thus, he was referring to Root Sports, not ESPN.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2012, 08:24 PM

A coach who is about to get canned.

VinnyZag
01-27-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't know how Twitter works. I just learned to text on my cell phone 2 years ago.

Oh, yes. Happens regularly, including several times this week with Prince Fielder news.

cjm720
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
sounds like a boozer

lothar98zag
01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't care if there is a misunderstanding about which game he was watching, what he was attempting to say, he was trying to pump his troops, etc. Here is the bottom line: Coaches don't talk about players on other teams in a negative light. The WCC upholds a high standard of academic and athletic excellence.
+11

Behind close door say whatever. "Dower eats kittens for breakfast." I don't care.

But in public? C'mon. That's bush league. I bet if he'd limit his comments to GU's announcers, he would have gotten high fives from several Zag fans. As it is, he 's lucky USF has already traveled to Spokane.

Finally - I wonder when he's gonna finally stop getting in trouble from what he say. Suspended for a game by the WCC. Lots of unintentional technicals during games. Unsportmanlike tweeps about players on other teams.

It's probably going to be a while if he goes onto a fan message board to defend his stupid tweet.

Zagdawg
01-27-2012, 11:33 PM
It's gotta be some high school kid pretending to be Walters--- no real coach would be that stupid.

I'm leaning toward thinking this is a jealous SF teenage fan trying to stir up some excitement on their board--get their minds off the SF W/L record.

Or is that really Walters intellect level?

EuroZag2010
01-28-2012, 04:23 AM
I think it's Walters because I have read other tweets from him on dons central about USF games and his players etc. I don't doubt it's not him.

Walters tweet:
"Going to have to really research who would like to follow....all of the sudden got a lot of interest from GU Fans. Just want to be clear...I am not a GU Hater. Have a lot of respect 4 Mark and the Program he has up there. However, I'm not letting GU Fans follow me, why would I?"

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Well, Rex, let GU fans follow you because you're not sixteen years old and this isn't high school. Do you think Roy Williams gives a crap if Duke fans follow him?

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Hahaha.. What a ######bag

CarolinaZagFan
01-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Well, Rex, let GU fans follow you because you're not sixteen years old and this isn't high school. Do you think Roy Williams gives a crap if Duke fans follow him?

To be fair, Roy probably does because he's as childish as they come. Point taken though.

FlyZag
01-28-2012, 06:44 AM
To be fair, Roy probably does because he's as childish as they come. Point taken though.

Well, there you have it! Wasn't Roy his college coach at Kansas? It was modeled for him.

MickMick
01-28-2012, 06:50 AM
This isn't one of his better years for coaching.

Returning many players from a promising season. Many folks think the team has underachieved. Still capable of pulling off an upset against any WCC opponent but certainly incapable of sustaining it.

They appear to have a clear path to a five seed in the WCC tournament.

JPtheBeasta
01-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Ok people. Fess up. Which one of you is Mark Few?!

raise the zag
01-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Ok people. Fess up. Which one of you is Mark Few?!

Better yet, who do we think it could be?

BZ is the obvious choice, yet I'm kinda sold on Woohoo being the likely culprit -- we all know Coach Few is a funny man behind his media persona.

If not woohoo, then most definitely Jazz. True colors.

gonzagabasketball
01-28-2012, 08:27 AM
If Sam Dower wouldnt start on USF it would say more about the coaches lack of basketball acumen then Dowers ability.

Not only is it a petty response, its a blatant lie.

RenoZag
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Must be a slow news week if a Rex Walters tweet merits multiple threads on Dons Central and a
thread with this many responses & views on the GUB. . .

Baseline
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Instead of nocking Sam, he should be more concerned as to why Blackwell (sp) isn't producing as expected.

Also: Few = WooHoo (its just so obvious)

rennis
01-28-2012, 08:56 AM
If the real Mark Few had a Twitter account, his feeds would be about trout runs and Fox sports broadcasts of bass tournaments.

Saxon_zag
01-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Rex is a terrible coach and should probably just be out of the D1 game the way his team has underachieved this year especially. Rex, people would want to put your team on TV alot as well if you ever freaking won. Instead you will have to settle for your occasional appearances on gutv

ID ZAGFAN
01-28-2012, 09:36 AM
It is possible for a coach to twitter without being a jerk.

Our own Kelly Graves twitters. His tweets are upbeat, self-deprecating, and fun to read. He doesn't criticize either his own or opposing players, or other coaches. He provides links to stories and photos, and shout-outs to his team.

WBB Zags (or something like that) also twitters--links to photos and stories, etc.

Even Thane McCulloh twitters--always in a positive way.

ZaGranny

HillBillyZag
01-28-2012, 09:56 AM
The outpouring of rage and indignation concerning a"twitter" remark" about one of our Gonzaga athletes "supposedly" made by a WCC coach is not only simplistic, but laughable. Far worse comments are/have been made on this very board by loyal Gonzaga fans. We all have opinions and thankfully some of us can even disagree without being disrespectful. IMHO, Sam Dower has some excellent offensive moves and his scoring can be a big plus for this team. On the other hand, he is not a natural five, a step slow, has no more than ordinary vertical , and refuses to utilize his off hand. He is a great kid and I luv him, but like many of us, he is a work in progress. I have no doubt he will work on his weaknesses and continue to improve, that's up to him?, with the situation we face now with bigs, I'm sure thankful we have Sam.

CDC84
01-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Rex Walters needs to realize that the same behavior did nothing for Jessie Evans. It does nothing but hurt your program to go public with your envy of Gonzaga and the attention they get. I feel bad for their fans more than anything else.

The way to approach things is to do what Randy Bennett and Eric Reveno have done....win games and zip the lip.

EuroZag2010
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
The outpouring of rage and indignation concerning a"twitter" remark" about one of our Gonzaga athletes "supposedly" made by a WCC coach is not only simplistic, but laughable. Far worse comments are/have been made on this very board by loyal Gonzaga fans. We all have opinions and thankfully some of us can even disagree without being disrespectful. IMHO, Sam Dower has some excellent offensive moves and his scoring can be a big plus for this team. On the other hand, he is not a natural five, a step slow, has no more than ordinary vertical , and refuses to utilize his off hand. He is a great kid and I luv him, but like many of us, he is a work in progress. I have no doubt he will work on his weaknesses and continue to improve, that's up to him?, with the situation we face now with bigs, I'm sure thankful we have Sam.

- 100 I disagree with everything you said just my opinion.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Walters.. just another worthless coach who probably should have been fired by now. I'm amazed there is so little coaching turnover in this league given how pathetic some programs are.

MJ777
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Walters.. just another worthless coach who probably should have been fired by now. I'm amazed there is so little coaching turnover in this league given how pathetic some programs are.

It seems that teams in the league tried for a few years to fire coaches to find "that guy" in an attempt to follow the GU model. Now, they are trying to be more patient ala SMC. It is hard to build a program when you keep changing architechs. Looking back, I bet that SCU regrets running Dick Bennett (a few years early) and USD regrets firing Holland even though I think Grier is a capable recruiter and coach. I'm not saying they would be consistent winners, but they seemed more capable of challenging for the top with Bennett and Holland respectively in charge of those teams.

a13coach
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
It seems that teams in the league tried for a few years to fire coaches to find "that guy" in an attempt to follow the GU model. Now, they are trying to be more patient ala SMC. It is hard to build a program when you keep changing architechs. Looking back, I bet that SCU regrets running Dick Bennett (a few years early) and USD regrets firing Holland even though I think Grier is a capable recruiter and coach. I'm not saying they would be consistent winners, but they seemed more capable of challenging for the top with Bennett and Holland respectively in charge of those teams.

MJ you mean Dick Davey. :)

MJ777
01-28-2012, 05:22 PM
MJ you mean Dick Davey. :)

Thank you, yes, I meant Dick the Sweaterman, Davey.

JAGzag
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
This thread should have been locked long ago.

webspinnre
01-28-2012, 07:18 PM
It was Sean Farnham and and an Arizona cat former bball player I dont recall his name

Miles Simon I believe.

Bocco
01-28-2012, 07:22 PM
This thread should have been locked long ago.

agreed