• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacomaZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Energy at the Chiles Center last night

Wow, that was the worst game envoironment I think I have ever sat through. The building was DEAD, they couldn't even sell out that tiny arena for their biggest game of the year, and there were more people wearing ZAG gear than Pilot swag. The Chiles Center was a morgue compared to K2, even when the students aren't in session at GU.

It didn't help that the Zags seemed to "sleep walk" through the first half, but the crowd didn't even get into it when the Pilots were ahead by 4 at the half. The biggest cheers from the Pilot faithful were for the break dance team (they were really fun to watch) and the kid who does the Michael Jackson dancing every year.

K2 is a great place to watch a game, great atmoshere and great energy. Last night really reminded me of that.

Go ZAGS
  • sullyzag66
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Wow, that was the worst game envoironment I think I have ever sat through. The building was DEAD, they couldn't even sell out that tiny arena for their biggest game of the year, and there were more people wearing ZAG gear than Pilot swag. The Chiles Center was a morgue compared to K2, even when the students aren't in session at GU.

It didn't help that the Zags seemed to "sleep walk" through the first half, but the crowd didn't even get into it when the Pilots were ahead by 4 at the half. The biggest cheers from the Pilot faithful were for the break dance team (they were really fun to watch) and the kid who does the Michael Jackson dancing every year.

K2 is a great place to watch a game, great atmoshere and great energy. Last night really reminded me of that.

Go ZAGS
    Yeah. More students showed up than for other games (not unusual) but there were a lot of empty seats. The four or five season ticket seats next to mine were empty. Not at all like previous Zag games in Chiles.

Comment

• Knotsolucky
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Go ZAGS

It sure seemed that way (dead) on TV too! Was there even a student section?

It was mentioned that it was a sell out by either the ESPN boys or on Tom Hudson's pre-game show. We noticed all the empty seats too! Sad really...

Comment

• jake
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

I thought the environment was decent. There were empty seats, but they were sold. The Chiles Center isn't tiny either. It holds almost 5,000, which is a lot more than the old Kennel held. The ticket office told me earlier in the week that they were sold out. I know the lower level sideline tickets that were empty weren't unsold. It is perplexing and disappointing that they weren't all occupied. The Pilot student section was ok, not good, but not horrible. You have to realize UP gets less than 1/10th that number of students at their typical home game. Plus, in the first half there wasn't much to cheer about no matter which team you were rooting for. Clearly the Pilots need work on their fan base and home attendance, and that's reflected in the energy level of the crowd and the number of GU fans (which has been somewhat similar for 10+ years), but I don't see how you can say that's the worst game environment you've ever sat through. I've seen non-student games at GU that had similar energy levels. The criticism seems a little over the top to me.

Comment

• realtydog
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

can't you figure this board out?

they b*tch at any game that does not bounce the camera---lets be sure to talk about this for five days

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

Could be worse. ESPN-U had a Pepperdine home game a few weeks back. In a tight game, the crowd acted as though it would be rude to disturb the players on the court.

At one point, the visiting team neared the end of the shot clock. As the clock wound down, you could literally hear one guy from somewhere in the gym counting down 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 to support the visiting team.

The home crowd never got loud enough, even at that critical moment to drown out one visiting fan.

Ouch.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• whatazag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

We are spoiled as Zag fans because every game we go to at K2 we assume we have a very good chance to win.
              It is a lot easier/more fun to show up and cheer for a winning team.
              Portland has lost something like 32 out of the last 33 games to Gonzaga.
              Can't be surprised they get tired of showing up if they are just expecting another beat down.

Comment

Working...
              X