PDA

View Full Version : KC needs to put in more effort like the Cameron Crazies!

MedZag
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh wait...

Low attendance forces Duke Athletics to sell student seats
Student attendance at men’s basketball games has fallen consistently over the last five years, even dropping after Duke won its fourth national championship in 2010. This season, approximately 650 undergraduates have attended each game, 150 fewer than during the 2008-09 season. As a result, Duke Athletics has begun to sell an increasing number of general admission tickets in the student section on a regular basis.
When the Blue Devils played Wake Forest last week, 400 tickets were made available to Iron Dukes because of concerns over the game’s competition with fraternity and sorority rush, along with the Demon Deacons’ struggles. Still, Section 17 was still under capacity at tip-off/[/b]
http://dukechronicle.com/article/low-attendance-forces-duke-athletics-sell-student-seats

No real point, except the show that even 'the best' deal with the same issues as us (read the commends on the article). But is does raise an interesting question.

What does everyone think of this? Should GU start selling 'left over' student tickets as GA in order to fill the lower bowl and possibly raise the on court energy/noise? Or should student tickets always be protected?

Das Zagger
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Dick Vitale weeps.

ID ZAGFAN
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh wait...

http://dukechronicle.com/article/low-attendance-forces-duke-athletics-sell-student-seats

No real point, except the show that even 'the best' deal with the same issues as us (read the commends on the article). But is does raise an interesting question.

What does everyone think of this? Should GU start selling 'left over' student tickets as GA in order to fill the lower bowl and possibly raise the on court energy/noise? Or should student tickets always be protected?

They already do this through the Bulldog Club. I am assuming that the Iron Dukes is a booster club similar to the Bulldog Club. The difference is that the Bulldog club members usually buy up all the extra student tickets. In the four years I have been a BC member, I have never seen them sell to the GP. Instead if the original sale on Wednesday does not sell all the tickets, they email folks who bought, offering to sell them more tickets. That has happened to us a couple of times this year---during Christmas.

I think the empty seats last week were due to weather--and there were a number of those in the season tickets holders sections, too.

ZaGranny

Oregonzagnut
01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
If the seats get empty in the Kennel club zones, the Mac center staff needs to fill up the seats with anyone from above who is in red and whoever seems to be the most active and enthusiastic. Everyone needs to help with coordinating and allowing people who would like to be honored with student section seating. even if for just the last 10 minutes of a game.

zagporvida
01-25-2012, 05:16 AM
I like this quote - although I would like free gas the Chevron promotion is dumb in my opinion. Plus we need a tshirt cannon so some of us in the top rows have a chance at a tshirt from time to time....or ask the cheerleaders to work with the baseball team on their throwing arms. :D

“Every other school in the country is playing canned music during timeouts, doing cheesy promotions,” Forman said. “We try to stay away from that.”

tobizag
01-25-2012, 06:34 AM
counting grad students, duke has just over twice as many students as gonzaga.

duke is arguably the most elite basketball program of the last 25 years, and is certainly in the top 5 all time. (kentucky, kansas, unc, ucla)

our student section holds 1200, but i'd be interested to hear what our avg attendance has been. i'm sure it's not 1200 students/game, but i wonder if it exceeds duke's 650? that would be impressive given enrollment size and lack of national titles, final fours, all-america, etc.

Zag@LMU
01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
counting grad students, duke has just over twice as many students as gonzaga.

duke is arguably the most elite basketball program of the last 25 years, and is certainly in the top 5 all time. (kentucky, kansas, unc, ucla)

our student section holds 1200, but i'd be interested to hear what our avg attendance has been. i'm sure it's not 1200 students/game, but i wonder if it exceeds duke's 650? that would be impressive given enrollment size and lack of national titles, final fours, all-america, etc.

Not counting winter break id say it's approaching 1200. The KC has been overfilled multiple times this season.

Zaglaw
01-26-2012, 11:24 AM
although I would like free gas the Chevron promotion is dumb in my opinion.

Thank you! I hate that "contest of no skill"! It makes me not want to buy Chevron gas!

:vomit-smiley-007: