PDA

View Full Version : OT: Katz blog - 'Gaels face tough road tests in WCC'

Baldwinzag
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
feel free to move to WCC forum, yet a few GU mentions included in Katz' blog.

Saint Mary's will become a true front-runner for the WCC title and make a strong case for a high NCAA seed over the next two weeks.
Or the Gaels will settle back into the WCC pack and have to sweat it out a bit on Selection Sunday.

They're scorching right now at 19-2 overall, including 8-0 in the WCC. Saint Mary's has already beat conference newcomer BYU and rival/favorite Gonzaga. And the Gaels did so handily, defeating the Cougars by 16 and the Zags by 21.

It wasn't close.

"I think it's real important for our league to have the depth in our conference," Bennett said. "We haven't had that in a while with [Gonzaga, Saint Mary's], and now BYU and Loyola."

Still, the Gaels enter the second half of the WCC schedule as the conference's first-place team. Whether they're a front-runner or favorite will be determined in the next two weeks. "This team has a lot more room for growth," Bennett said. "I see a lot more places where we can get better."

More in Andy's entry here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy

EuroZag2010
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Andy Katz thinks ST.Marys will play Creighton! I hope so :lmao:

zagabond
01-24-2012, 12:11 PM
I would not be surprised if SMC went 5-3 (or possibly 4-4) in its remaining WCC games. Different team on the road.

RenoZag
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they went 8-0 or 7-1 either. . .

Das Zagger
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I would not be surprised if SMC went 5-3 (or possibly 4-4) in its remaining WCC games. Different team on the road.

Agree. They've played 3 conference road games, winning by an average margin of 17 points. The 5 home games they've played, won by an average of 13.

77Zag
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Andy Katz thinks ST.Marys will play Creighton! I hope so :lmao:

Suppose to be at Creighton as well ---

GG will be ready for Gieco Man.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I think St. Mary's will come back down. They've had several guys playing extremely well recently, and no matter who you are, that simply doesn't last. I expect a loss this week and another in Spokane.

bartruff1
01-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they went 8-0 or 7-1 either. . ....they are gooooood.....but...

DixieZag
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Great to see SMC getting some major respect, they sure as hel! deserve it. I do think that they will drop a couple in the next couple of weeks, I don't think they will go 5-3 or 4-4, alas we could drop one or two sometime soon also.

However, the schedule is set up as nicely for GU as we could have possibly asked. We have gone 1-1 against two of the toughest on the road. And have not played any of the other three at home but will late in conference season when road teams (and SMC tend to wear down a little). I'm still scared to death of the SCU/USF road trip, I don't care if SCU is 0-30, they play like Syracuse against us.

The home games against the other 3 are no sure thing either. It will be interesting to see how we do against BYU on the road. LMU put a pretty good chink in their armor and they may have some doubts/self-confidence issues.

We'll see, we control our destiny, better than last year, win one game at a time. Beat Portland.

FlyZag
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I think the Gaels drop 2 games in conference this year. 1 @ GU and 1 @ either LMU or BYU. I predict the Zags lose at BYU thus tie with the Gaels for the title.

Vanzagger
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
as long as their top players know the playbook and do well in practice they are good to go.

RenoZag
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
...they are gooooood.....but...

Not wishful thinking on my part. . .

rennis
01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Katz has it right. They sweep through the WCC with 1 more loss, they're playing their way up to a solid single-digit seed.

They drop a few road games down the stretch, they're back on the bubble, despite how they played the last 6 weeks.

I see them somewhere in between. They are far from a bubble team in my eyes (unlike last year) but perhaps aren't as good as they've shown in their home games against us and BYU. We'll find out soon enough.

maynard g krebs
01-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Different team on the road.

Different team since Holt and Waldow have elevated their games. In their 9 game win streak, Holt is averaging 14 ppg on 64% fg and 56% 3 pt shooting, 5.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists. Waldow is averaging 10 ppg over the last 10 games after averaging around 5 in their first 11, and more important, he has averaged almost 9 reb in the last 4, after averaging around 3 for most of the season.

Holt's emergence makes it impossible to focus too much on Delly, as teams could do early in the year when Holt couldn't buy a 3pter, and Waldow's emergence as a rebounder takes a lot of the weight off Jones' shoulders.

Das Zagger
01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Different team since Holt and Waldow have elevated their games. In their 9 game win streak, Holt is averaging 14 ppg on 64% fg and 56% 3 pt shooting, 5.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists. Waldow is averaging 10 ppg over the last 10 games after averaging around 5 in their first 11, and more important, he has averaged almost 9 reb in the last 4, after averaging around 3 for most of the season.

Holt's emergence makes it impossible to focus too much on Delly, as teams could do early in the year when Holt couldn't buy a 3pter, and Waldow's emergence as a rebounder takes a lot of the weight off Jones' shoulders.

Holt is a very good athlete, how SMC outrecruited Portland for him is a mystery.

Probably explains why Portland is so crappy.

Zag4Hire
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Katz has it right. They sweep through the WCC with 1 more loss, they're playing their way up to a solid single-digit seed.

They drop a few road games down the stretch, they're back on the bubble, despite how they played the last 6 weeks.

I see them somewhere in between. They are far from a bubble team in my eyes (unlike last year) but perhaps aren't as good as they've shown in their home games against us and BYU. We'll find out soon enough.

This year is a little different because the addition of BYU has garnered more attention for the WCC. However, if you are Randy Bennett, how do you not implore your team to go undefeated in the WCC and win the WCC tourney? I tell them nothing is safe. There are plenty of WCC roadies to tank your resume (SoS, RPI, bad losses) and I am sure they were feeling pretty confident after stealing one last year in Spokane.

Baseline
01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
The way saint Marry's is playing they could go undefeated in conference. I hope that is not the case, but from watching them I see no one that will beat them. Gonzaga has some huge things to fix to beat them, lets hope they do!

awberke
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
The way saint Marry's is playing they could go undefeated in conference. I hope that is not the case, but from watching them I see no one that will beat them. Gonzaga has some huge things to fix to beat them, lets hope they do!

We will know a lot more by the end of saturday.

kyle dixon
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
They beat us by 21 points, shot the ball well down in Moraga and their senior leader had 2 points. They are tough in all facets of the game and made us look silly. It is going to take a helluva an effort to beat them at home.

The argument that they have not played anyone needs to stop. They are the one's in the drivers seat. They beat the crap out of BYU and us. I have looked at our wins and perhaps our best win is over Oral Roberts as of now. Notre Dame is 12-8, Arizona has played grab ass in the park with the pac 12 and has suffered four losses, Xavier well they have underachieved since the fight, Butler is still trying to put it together but they will.

The fact of the matter is St. Mary's has proven to date to be the best team based on who they have beaten in the conference. If they pull off two wins this weekend. My opinion is that the Gaels are the real deal with a solid cast of performers.....

DixieZag
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
I seriously doubt that there are many people who don't think that SMC is for real.

I think the only question is whether they are "real" enough to continue to play at the same level and whether GU can rise to the level needed to beat them. We have some work to do but I wouldn't count the Zags out.

Oregonzagnut
01-24-2012, 09:26 PM

I would be surprised. At this point all we can do is win out. Because if they only lose to us in Spokane, we will only win a share of the title, again.

This is our year, or not our year, however you want to look at it.

2wiceright
01-24-2012, 11:21 PM
With Rob and E back (especially Rob) hustling, hitting the boards and playing good defense (something that was non-existent w/Rob against SMC) we're right back in the game against the Gaels. And with Sam playing as well as he has and Edi improving daily I have a feeling the Gaels will be eating humble pie when they roll into Spokane. Big Rob is our Key Senior Leader. He has the ability to own Waldow. He disappeared in Moraga.

Another thing that plays in our favor is the mighty Gaels have the big ranking and are the new "team to beat". Not that anyone is going to give GU a pass, but I feel good about where we stand right now. And yes, St. Marys will lose to us and one or two other conference teams with all the road games and shorter rotation of players. Few finally has time to rest his team and add some new wrinkles into our second half of the conference. I have a very strong feeling this year we stand alone on top when all is said and done. If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat! :)

Go Zags!

awberke
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Another thing that plays in our favor is the mighty Gaels have the big ranking and are the new "team to beat".

Storm the court! :D

bigblahla
01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
With 2:48 to go in the first half at Moraga it was a 2 point game.

We quit playing, they didn't.

The season was on the line for them and it was just another game to us.

Rob was multiply mugged ( see photo of USF players one on each of his arms then add another player) in the paint, lots of no calls.

The Gaels are good but by no means invincible and with some help very capable of falling back to earth.

They have to win the WCC or WCC tournament and if they fail to win either they will be a bubble team due to their OOC schedule and the continued slight to the WCC, even with the addition of BYU.

I think the Gaels play the best team ball in the WCC but I think both LMU and BYU will beat them at home making our game at BYU that much more important. We'll find out tomorrow night.

Beat the Pilots.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't count on any other team in the league beating St. Mary's. If the Zags want to win or share the WCC regular season title, they need to win out, because St. Mary's should be favored in every game they play the rest of the way.

The Zags were incredibly lucky that St. Mary's went into that late-season funk, last year. The Gaels have learned from that experience. I expect that Bennett and Dellevedova will motivate their team to continue to play with a high level of discipline and intensity until the season is over.

rijman
01-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I have to see how St. Mary's plays the best WCC teams on the road, SCU and USD don't count. Until then I won't be drinking the SMC koolaid, no offense Rob Jones.