PDA

View Full Version : Guy Landry Edi = key to the rest of the season

SamwiseTheZag
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Seems pretty simple to me.

The 2011-12 Gonzaga Men's Basketball team has the best chance to play its best basketball in March with Guy Landry Edi playing 25+ minutes per game.

I'm looking forward to find out if Coach Few allows this to happen? It seems like this is possible based on the past few games.

Guy needs to play more. The sooner coach Few lets Guy play through his inevitable mistakes the better.

zagitarious
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Seems like the leash is getting looser which is exciting to me.

GoZags
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Getting additional experience will help Guy (and the freshmen guards) further develop, which will help the Zags come March.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Guy is a tremendous athlete, and also great defender in my book. His offense looks like its coming along. If he remains starter and continues his improvement, a sweet 16 is a sound expectation.

I would love to see delladova hounded by landry.

FlyZag
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Delly is a special player... I hate his mouthpiece, love his game. I don't think anybody in the WCC (GLE included) will shut him down. I'd rather GU give Delly his 25 and shut the rest of the team down.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I believe Delladova would get rattled, he may get his 25.......only on terrible % IMHO. That would hurt the team more. I believe though even more, Delladova would get 16-18 on sub par shooting.

Im that confident in Guy.

MickMick
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Delly is a special player... I hate his mouthpiece, love his game. I don't think anybody in the WCC (GLE included) will shut him down. I'd rather GU give Delly his 25 and shut the rest of the team down.

Gotta stop Jones and now Waldow. Mitch Young has a history of playing out of his mind against the Zags. Holt has great all around game as well.

As for Gonzaga:

Guy gives you elite athleticism and just enough skill to make you wonder what his upside really is.

My belief is that you get Guy, Bell, Harris, and Pangos involved in up tempo transition scoring. Wear the opponents down. Make their shooting legs weary.

When the time comes to maintain a lead, to control a more manageable pace, begin to work inside with Sacre and Dower. Maintain your lead at the free throw line.

FlyZag
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Mick, You're right... Holt has an incredible game too!

Question: Who's better "right now" Holt or Bell??

Holt plays phenomenal defense and is scoring at 10+ per game. I'm not sure.. what say you?

DixieZag
01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I think Guy brings some much needed length, strength and hops. He certainly can fill a big void on this team.

Speaking of match-ups against SMC, I think it is pretty self evident that we didn't match up well against them in Moraga but we did have some success when we went to a zone. I know that Few abhors a zone, but Delly makes his living carving up man to man help. Yes, they are a great outside shooting team, but with added quickness and length we could extend the zone a little and challenge them to beat us with jump shots - yes, Delly will get his 20 - but Waldow and Jones might not have the same impact.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
I loved our last games starting lineup! It was nice with Guy out there.

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Waldow for SMC doesn't scare me at all and won't until he starts consistantly creating his own shot. We can't allow Delly to score a bunch of points AND create for everyone else. It has to be one or the other (preferably neither, of course). If Few wants to put Edi on Delly, I'm all for it, because whatever we were doing last game wasn't working. I personally think the bigs need to hedge sooner and harder on the high pick and role, but that's even more off topic than the rest of this is.

When we passed out of the trap against SFU, we consistantly got the ball to half court in the middle of the floor. Sacre was consistantly down at that end of the court already. Edi is the kind of guy that should be able to break down most WCC 3's off the dribble in that situation and either finish at the basket or draw enough attention to get the ball to Rob. Edi has shown a good 3-point shot when Rob is double teamed in the half court. He is a better finisher than Hart after offensive rebounds. He needs to take better care of the ball but he definitely has the most upside of anyone of our small forwards, in my view.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Real good post JP

SamwiseTheZag
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Bell is better than Holt right now. Holt might be a better ball handler, but that's it.

Waldow played the game of his life last time, while Sacre had maybe his worst in the past 2 seasons. Won't happen again. Jones most likely won't be a non-factor next time either.

I bet we give them a whooping at K2 in a couple weeks.

I agree Delladova is a better player than most of us want to admit.
Personally I'd like to see how well he plays following a hard foul that tested that mouth guard of his. I can't believe Sacre has never sent a message to him to stay out of our lane. He absolutely killed us with those floaters last time.

cjm720
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Guy is a tremendous athlete, and also great defender in my book. His offense looks like its coming along. If he remains starter and continues his improvement, a sweet 16 is a sound expectation.

Delly would love that matchup!

Jedster
01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I look forward to seeing what Guy can do as he continues to get comfortable at the D1 level and more familiar with GU and his teammates. I've really noticed as he's played more he's not pressing near as much and not trying to hard. Pretty natural to do. What's nice for him is he doesn't have to step in and be "the guy", but rather a 4th or 5th option on offense behind Elias, Sacre and Pangos (and maybe even Bell). Certainly nice to have someone with his tools to be that option!

Play good D, make smart decisions on offense and play within the system. He does that and it makes us a much stronger team.

maynard g krebs
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Bell is better than Holt right now. Holt might be a better ball handler, but that's it.

Holt averages 5 reb, 3.7 assts, and 2.2 steals a game. Now that he's shooting it well, he's made the fr-so leap. GBJ is better than Holt was as a fr, but not yet as good as Holt as a so.

mainer6
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Here's the other thing: Della is not nearly as ugly as we would like to think he is. Saw an interview with him and he looks like a respectable, likeable young man...what a jerk!:D

Reborn
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I think Landry-Edi will do a better job on Dele then you think. He's a great defender and stands 6'6". In D1 ball the difference between 6' 2" and 6' 6" is HUGE. Delle shot over GU defenders.

SamwiseTheZag
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Holts numbers are inflated by the Gaels weak schedule.

I'd take Bell any day of the week

EuroZag2010
01-24-2012, 12:25 AM
“We’ve been pleading and asking the wings to get out ahead because I’m always on those point guards to throw the ball ahead,” coach Mark Few said. “A lot of times you watch the film and the wings aren’t that much in front. Guy can finish at the end of those breaks.”

“I know all the plays now. When you know the plays you don’t have to think about it, it just comes naturally and it makes it easier to feel comfortable,” Edi said. “Starting is a good feeling to come out in front of the crowd. It’s nice, but you want to finish games more than start.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jan/23/zags-edi-producing-head-turning-plays/

FuManShoes
01-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Waldow for SMC doesn't scare me at all and won't until he starts consistantly creating his own shot.

Waldow's line from GU-SMC game 1: 6-8, 17 points, 10 rebounds, 0 turnovers.

Nope, not a concern. And remind me why a big man needs to create his own shot when a defense can't stop him at the rim?

This is why I love GU Boards!

cjm720
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I think Landry-Edi will do a better job on Dele then you think. He's a great defender and stands 6'6". In D1 ball the difference between 6' 2" and 6' 6" is HUGE. Delle shot over GU defenders.

Delly's every bit of 6'4" and plays long with those arms. He's also deceptively quick and a very good dribbler with hesitations. As much as I like Guy, he'd get burned almost every time against Delly.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Waldow's line from GU-SMC game 1: 6-8, 17 points, 10 rebounds, 0 turnovers.

Nope, not a concern. And remind me why a big man needs to create his own shot when a defense can't stop him at the rim?

This is why I love GU Boards!

I'm well aware of his stats. A lofty line does not a world-beater make. Our defense was out of position all day against them and Few has said that the bigs didn't play as well as they should have. Waldow is probably the 4th option on offense. I think that Rob can keep him in check with a good effort- on the boards and offensively- and he isn't someone that we necessarily need to game-plan for. We just need to play better. Anybody can have a good game, but he's not exactly Kevin Love or Blake Griffin, which I think you are implying by your indignation.

I can throw out Rob Jones' aweful stats from last game and say he isn't somebody to worry about, but that would seem pretty crazy, in my opinion- and I think you might agree with me on that. If Waldow does it again, against better post play, then I will be concerned.

cjm720
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
JP, Waldow's good and potentially very good.

Against SCU, he put up 14 and 16 in 23 minutes. To compare us v. SCU: Sacre put up 7 and 8 in 21, Harris put up 12 and 7 in 25. Dower did pop for 17 and 6 in 26.

Okay, this tells me SCU doesn't defend the post too well but it also tells me that Waldow's success against us wasn't because of us.

MDABE80
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM
If Della shoots like he did against us in game one, about the only way to control him is to deny him the ball. THAT would stop SMC cold. Dount that'll happen though. He shot wayyyyyy out , circus off balance shots and everything in between. I think the kids were shocked by him.
It was about th eonly game where our defense broke down. Him and Holt are the danger points for us and SMC. Elias can control Jones again ...but he did get his rebounds even though his shooting was weak. Now the Rob is playing well again, I'm not sure who will guard him. I suspect he'll get lots of FT's.
Edi is key...I agree. He can do so many things. If he was shooting better ( he is now), his other skills ad a a new dimension to GU's offense. VERY good defender....we'll see. He can be electrifying though. I hope he cleans up!

MickMick
01-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's the other thing: Della is not nearly as ugly as we would like to think he is. Saw an interview with him and he looks like a respectable, likeable young man...what a jerk!:D

I don't notice anything out of the ordinary except his noticeable mouthpiece.

He is a magnificient player and you can tell that his biggest improvement stems from SMC being "his" team. He runs the show and he runs it very well. Even when the rest of his team has an off night, Dellevedova is contributing enough to win.

There isn't a PAC 12 guard playing near the level that Delly is. A Zag victory over SMC begins and ends with accounting for him.

DixieZag
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
He would be a legendary Zag if he played here. He reminds me of some of the "classic Zags" - Dickau mostly, except Dickau shaved.

When we went Zone against SMC - it slowed them down. Took some of Della's imagination away, I hope we change up defenses a lot against them next time, can't let them get in a rhythm.

Baseline
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Next time Waldo will not get the numbers he did, but in the same token Jones will most assuradly get better numbers. I think it is wishful thinking if we think he will be held to the first game numbers. The game revolves around Delly and thats not good. Think off night for him.

roxdoc
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
If Edi gets big minutes we won't have to go with the questionable 3 small guard lineup which IMHO contributed to about half the differential in our loss.

2wiceright
01-24-2012, 11:44 PM
If Edi gets big minutes we won't have to go with the questionable 3 small guard lineup which IMHO contributed to about half the differential in our loss.

+1 I also believe Edi can cause some problems for Delly, not stop him, just limit him enough. I guess we'll all get a chance to find out soon enough and see who Few puts on the "greasy ONE"! I for one, can't wait for a lot of payback!!!