PDA

View Full Version : would he ever... john stockton.

Juskickenit2
01-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Consider joining gonzaga coaching staff......? I bet he has a great wealth of knowledge. Maybe after david graduates as to not overshadow him?

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Consider joining gonzaga coaching staff......? I bet he has a great wealth of knowledge. Maybe after david graduates as to not overshadow him?

From what I know of him and his personality. I'd say no chance at all. Its not his thing.

KOB&Murph
01-23-2012, 07:38 AM
If you want to see him coach, go to a G-Prep game. At the moment he's helping his daughters and the Bullpups win the GSL.

But I agree, I don't think you'll see him GU sideline anytime soon.

coolhandzag
01-23-2012, 08:28 AM
As cool as it might be, I have every faith this will not happen. It's just not John's style.

willandi
01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
He doesn't need the money, and he already works out and plays pick-up games with the team (or so I have been led to believe, it isn't first hand knowledge), he works one on one with players during those times...seems like he already coaches the team, just not as an official member of the staff. If he joined the staff officially, wouldn't someone else have to leave?
Seems like the best of both worlds now!

Ebay
01-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I really wish it would happen, but it's doubtful.

Imagine how amazing it would be to send John Stockton on a recruiting trip for a top point guard. How could a kid say no to that? I can't think of any coach in the country that would demand more attention than he.

I love seeing those sideline pictures of AAU tournaments with all the big name coaches sitting next to each other. Throw John Stockton in a picture like that and he stands out. Our program would benefit immensely. But, he has a pretty sweet life, and I'm not sure he would want to be thrown in the limelight and make the massive time commitment.

gamagin
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
as someone noted, he's coaching girls varsity with Mike Arte @ GPrep (CLaire Raap is helping as an intern).

JS has been coaching & involved in coaching all sports, selecting coaches, being on committees, etc., for many years at St. AL's -- all family related. Few's children go there, too.

He's been a close friend of the GU program & Few for many years. They work out routinely together. JS has scrimmaged with vets, alums and current athletes regularly for years, too.

The "games" I have heard on good account, occur during the off-season, they are private and behind locked doors at the Warehouse (which JS owns).

Matt Santangelo has mentioned participating for several years. He said the "games" can be very intense and competitive, which is the only way JS plays.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I have to think that he'd already have a job on the coaching staff if he really wanted one. I can't imagine that anybody else would have been hired ahead of him during the time since he retired from the NBA.

DixieZag
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
No.

Like people have said, its not his thing.

He values his privacy above all else.

He already contributes huge to the program, one on one developement, men and women.

He has ALWAYS been a "behind the scenes guy" from his donations to charity (always super duper quietly, never announced) to his hands on work on several local projects.

More likely scenario is his wife as assistant coach of the volleyball team.

Colbyspapa
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
He is coaching AAU ball for 11-12 year olds. I'm told Coach Few also has a kid on that team.

kitzbuel
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
JS has scrimmaged with vets, alums and current athletes regularly for years, too.

The "games" I have heard on good account, occur during the off-season, they are private and behind locked doors at the Warehouse (which JS owns).

Matt Santangelo has mentioned participating for several years. He said the "games" can be very intense and competitive, which is the only way JS plays.

If JS were a coach, these summer sessions at the Warehouse wouldn't be possible, would they?

Robzagnut
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Why hop on a plane and travel 12-15 times a year when he doesn't have to? I can't imagine how many flights he was on playing for the Jazz all those years. I can barely stand flying 2-3 times a year. Yuck.

He's earned the right to stay home and do whatever he wants.

zagitarious
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, he looks like a coach.. And he loves Gonzaga, as he confessed in his NBA hall of fame speech.

B Wayne
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
He already is a de facto coach. He works out with the players. He works out with Coach Few. His son is on the team.

gamagin
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
He already is a de facto coach. He works out with the players. He works out with Coach Few. His son is on the team.

exactly. for free.