PDA

View Full Version : The traps

CDC84
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Until Gonzaga does a better job of dealing with defensive traps, expect almost every team to continue to do it. The Zags are not doing a good job of handling it, and it is leading to far too many turnovers.

Juskickenit2
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
And why are our traps so soft? They never seen to cause much disruption.

Birddog
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Agree with both of the above. If SMC started trapping, they'd probably bury GU again given the present skill set.

UberZagFan
01-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Poor positioning and lack of anticipation and plan after the trap comes. Sometimes it looks like GU is setting up getting trapped--especially on inbounds after an opponents made basket. The easiest way to fall into a trap is to set up 3 guys along the base line and inbounds to either one on the corner allowing the middle defender to trap and the weakside defender to help. Maybe the issue arises from a problem getting the ball in as too many times there are too many guys back court and the wrong guys. Uber's sure there is a plan of attack to beat the trap, it's just not very evident.

With that said, both GBJ and Pangos will get better at either ripping through the trap before it gets there or passing out of it. They're still awfully young...

rennis
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I worry less about the traps and more about getting mis-matches in the half-court. Ever since SMC, we got exposed on our inability to fight through screens on man/man coverage, and we switch almost automatically...leaving a smaller man on a big, or vice-versa.

We've been burned on the switch so many times in the last three games...

The traps suck too, but if I could pick one thing for the team to figure out, it would be eliminating mis-matches and switches on screens.

Baseline
01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Stockton is very good at avoiding traps. Pangos isn't bad, but could be better. GB to me is the one with the most problem. I think its because he hesitates to long and gets caught. These things can be corrected quite easily, so I'm guessing it will disappear as an issue in a few more weeks.

kitzbuel
01-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Stockton is very good at avoiding traps. Pangos isn't bad, but could be better. GB to me is the one with the most problem. I think its because he hesitates to long and gets caught. These things can be corrected quite easily, so I'm guessing it will disappear as an issue in a few more weeks.
Pangos could definitely learn a bit from Stockton there. Stockton instinctively knows that if he is being trapped someone else is open and he is looking to take advantage.

adoptedzag
01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I worry less about the traps and more about getting mis-matches in the half-court. Ever since SMC, we got exposed on our inability to fight through screens on man/man coverage, and we switch almost automatically...leaving a smaller man on a big, or vice-versa.

We've been burned on the switch so many times in the last three games...

The traps suck too, but if I could pick one thing for the team to figure out, it would be eliminating mis-matches and switches on screens.

This this this this this and this.