PDA

View Full Version : We need to find a good sports psychologist for Carter.

kclubfounder
01-22-2012, 01:51 PM
If Marquise was playing like the J.C. player we recruited, let alone the player we watched the 2nd half of last year, we would be SO much better off.

I truly believe his problems are psychological, not physical. And they are directly related to the emergence of Bell and Pangos and Edi.

Marquise, if you are reading this, I LOVE you man! I want you back. I want you to stop worrying whether other players get more love or are considered more important than you. You ARE IMPORTANT. We NEED you. PLEASE come back.

That's it. That's all I got. Obviously I'm not a professional.

We need one.

hooter73
01-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I've said it before and maintain that if MC gets his s together our team will be on a whole nother level.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
obviously.

Baseline
01-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I wish carter all the best, but his window is closing fast. At some point you quite waiting and move on and I suspect that's about where the coaches are. He needs to have a very strong game soon.

HOOTER
01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
You can see the frustration in his eyes, and in the way he plays. I agree with you that his issues are clearly in his head. He's got the talent and ability, he just needs to believe in himself and I think he'll bounce back.

Zags11
01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
He also gets about 9 minutes of playing time in last 6-8 gms. It seems to me carter lost all of his PT with his horrid start. He then lost his confidence. I actually see him getting a lil bit better each game. It also is hard for a player to get rhythm when you play 6 minutes in 1st half and then sit until the 1:38 mark of 2nd half.

Carter is shooting poorly, but his turnovers have dropped alot. He is shooting almost 70% from line, 35% from field(bad) and 2-15 from three's....again (bad) but his last 5 games his shot has actually returned for his short time of PT. Fg% is 60%, 3pt % is 1-2 at 50% and ft % is 80%.

I think its also funny how certain posters on here can get away with bashing certain players but others players who in last 5 games have worse stats then MC, are pushed aside. This nameless player is 2-15 from Field, 1-5 from 3pt land, and a 1.3-1 a/to ratio. He also when has bad stretch still gets 18.5 mpg regardless. Anyone who knows hoops, knows when you get pulled after 6 minutes in a half being 1-1 from field and better D on the court then some that your confidence will be shot.

Good topic, good bashing for blind dislike. Especially when zags are 16-3 for 1st time since mo's jr yr.

I believe this zags team is great, and all have a role but wish carter got 15 minutes a game.

Zags11
01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I wish carter all the best, but his window is closing fast. At some point you quite waiting and move on and I suspect that's about where the coaches are. He needs to have a very strong game soon.

Just wondering how a player gets going with 6:30 minutes of PT in last 3 games?

Birddog
01-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Hmmmm, do you think that maybe carter is brilliant in practice and is just having some rough patches in the games? Or do you think what we're seeing in the games is what the coaches are witnessing in practice? Just a WAG on my part, but I'm guessing that what we see in games is roughly equivalent to what goes on in practice. Don't ask me where I get these crazy notions.

bartruff1
01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Larry Bird ?? Something like..." in the end, the best players play "....the season is nearly 70% over...Few gave him a more than fair chance....He played his way out of minutes....he will get some opportunities...there is still time for him to play a major role....the competition is tough...it is up to him...

bballbeachbum
01-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Hope he can continue to find within himself the ability to maintain a stiff upper lip. He's been very impressive with how he's handled it publicly imo

He was hugely responsible for no shark jumping last year, and now can barely get on the court. GU is deeper in the backcourt now, yes, and his confidence has not been nurtured like it has been for the young guns...yes, that is my opinion. Mark Few made his decision on this, which is fine and this is not a complaint, just an observation. It's a tough game.

But Carter has been sacrificed in my eyes, just calling it how I see it. Please disagree.

There are only so many minutes, and I do believe they are earned. With his clutch and vital performances of the past, perhaps I thought more faith would be shown in him, more belief by the coaches. That has not happened, while others do get that support and game minutes even while struggling it seems. Again, that's fine, not complaining, though it is revealing.

And yet, against USF, subbing Marquise into the second half was vital to stemming that trapping D they were using to hurt GU while others struggled with it...again. I think he only got 8 minutes in that entire game, yet he responded when called. At St. Mary's he was one GUer who actually brought his game

I'm impressed, though that seems the minority opinion.

MDABE80
01-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Is a "sport psychologist" what cured him in the final 1/3 rd of last season?

zag944
01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
But Carter has been sacrificed in my eyes, just calling it how I see it. Please disagree.

It's probably in the program's best interest to play guys thatll be here in the coming years anyways. When those guys are playing better than Carter, as they are now, its a pretty easy decision. He is going to really have to catch fire in his limited minutes if he is going to see the bigger role he once had. Not likely, but certainely not out of the question.

john montana
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
possible that last year's carter (at least end of season carter) was just a guy on a hot streak. sounds horrible to say, but look at every game he's played, and if you take out the highs and lows, you get a pretty mediocre player at this point.

hoping i'm wrong of course.

former1dog
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
possible that last year's carter (at least end of season carter) was just a guy on a hot streak.

What ever it was, I'm grateful because Carter, more than any other player, is responsible for a successful season last year.

john montana
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
What ever it was, I'm grateful because Carter, more than any other player, is responsible for a successful season last year.

agreed...just wondering if we were all right to expect the same. would love to have that guy back!

gamagin
01-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Hmmmm, do you think that maybe carter is brilliant in practice and is just having some rough patches in the games? Or do you think what we're seeing in the games is what the coaches are witnessing in practice? Just a WAG on my part, but I'm guessing that what we see in games is roughly equivalent to what goes on in practice. Don't ask me where I get these crazy notions.

plenty good in practice, holds a leadership position on the team and has been working and encouraging freshmen & newbies to help them with their games & off court as well.

Which is why Few keeps putting him in. If he weren't doing well enough in practice, it would be a different story. The talent didn't go away. The confidence (for want of a better word) has gone wanting and has affected the performance.

Every time he is sent in, imo, it is to try and rekindle his skill set. He has tended to get the call the past few games when a starter is struggling, or getting rattled. He knows what to do. Doing it is another matter.

Like everyone else who is struggling, the problem also tends to involve him putting too much pressure on himself.

hooter73
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I hope he turns around in his limited time left for us and for himself. He isnt playing himself into a Euro contract right now thats for sure.

I will say that it is nice for a change to see Few playing the hot guy instead of making everyone talk about his loyalty to non producing seniors... or juniors.

I think MC will show up better and better in a next few games but dont think we will see much more than this new drive into traffic thing he is in to now instead of taking an open three.

DADoZAG
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Hope he can continue to find within himself the ability to maintain a stiff upper lip. He's been very impressive with how he's handled it publicly imo.

:clap: Agree and agree with the OP.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between those that have, in the past, posted condemning the notion of becoming one of the basketball mills, and those that have posted above and elsewhere expressing the attitude of one.

Carter is not a three. Carter is a point guard, one that this fan (realizing that I am not a successful D1 coach) believes is better than the guy subbing for Pangos. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that Mr. Carter feels that same way. If so, as mentioned above, kudos to Marquise for not expressing it.

I posted a few weeks back that Carter needed to stop being a wimp, and he does. It’s time for him to embrace the situation and the next three months. That said, it would be great if he were given the help that any top tear program should give considering the fact that Carter literally saved last year.

The all so precious “streak” would have ended without this young man’s contribution, and now some seem comfortable with replacing part A with part B, as long as the wins keep coming. Sounds like a basketball mill to me.

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Talk of " sacrifices " and " mills " is simply crazy talk .... " precious streak " talk is condesending and insulting...

DADoZAG
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
.... " precious streak " talk is condesending and insulting...

Why is that?

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I took it as a snide ...was I wrong....there are those of us that think it is important...no one has ever suggested that it was " precious " ?? Straw dogging is insulting in my book...what did you intend ?

Zag79
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
:clap: Agree and agree with the OP.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between those that have, in the past, posted condemning the notion of becoming one of the basketball mills, and those that have posted above and elsewhere expressing the attitude of one.

Carter is not a three. Carter is a point guard, one that this fan (realizing that I am not a successful D1 coach) believes is better than the guy subbing for Pangos. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that Mr. Carter feels that same way. If so, as mentioned above, kudos to Marquise for not expressing it.

I posted a few weeks back that Carter needed to stop being a wimp, and he does. It’s time for him to embrace the situation and the next three months. That said, it would be great if he were given the help that any top tear program should give considering the fact that Carter literally saved last year.

The all so precious “streak” would have ended without this young man’s contribution, and now some seem comfortable with replacing part A with part B, as long as the wins keep coming. Sounds like a basketball mill to me.

Go ZAGS!

MC did more with his few minutes than DS did in more time. Carter needs more time, its physically impossible to get in a rhythm without the PT to get rolling. A very capable player that was given up on too soon if you ask me, not that anyone did. :D

DADoZAG
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I took it as a snide ...was I wrong....there are those of us that think it is important...no one has ever suggested that it was " precious " ?? Straw dogging is insulting in my book...what did you intend ?

‘Looked up Straw Dogging, couldn’t find it, but it has a catchy sound. Nevertheless, I must admit you are NOT wrong.

I guess my inclusion of the phrase “..so called precious…” was indeed meant to be condescending to those that believe the “streak” somehow legitimizes the program, or justifies it’s comparison to all the greatest programs in the history of college basketball and demand respect because of it.

To me the streak is a fortuitous circumstance that is a result of extraordinary people focusing on building a program while operating within the parameters of the rules and overcoming numerous obstacles such as geographic location, school size, and league affiliation. I’m proud to support the program for these reasons, not the “streak.” To me the streak is due to one of the obstacles (league affiliation), not due to the true strengths of the program which have led to occasional Final Four discussions, top level recruit interest, and support literally worldwide.

I apologize for the condescension; the thread is about helping Carter. Let me try again…

For those that take the streak as being important, can you not agree that without the performance of one Marquise Carter, it would have ended last year? Doesn’t he deserve to receive every consideration, including mental coaching? In all truth, wouldn’t he deserve it simply because he is a member of the ZAG family? Isn’t that attitude part of what keeps GU from ever becoming a basketball mill?

Perhaps there is a mental coaching program. But from many of the player interviews I’ve seen or read, I’ve interpreted there isn’t. Perhaps there is effort, but not success? Being as close to GU as you are, bartruff1, can you clarify for us?

Go ZAGS!

U Zig, I Zag
01-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Hope he doesn't hang out here, this thread won't help one iota.

My suggestion to him would be to keep his head up, don't crowd the lane on offense, lose his man with the dribble and make a pass when the help leaves a big.

His D is good. When the ####ty 3pt shooters are in for the opposing team him,
Pangos and Stocks need to start jumping passes and coming to the backside of a teammates player when he has the ball to go for the rip or tie up. They have all done it a few times this year, now do it as an organized team. A swarm on D.

It says a bunch about his character that he comes in and does what Few asks of him, despite the changes in rotation and minutes.

rennis
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
He needs to live in the gym. Give the kid a key. Go in at midnight and shoot 500 jump shots.

Watching him pass-up open looks from the perimeter only to dribble into trouble is infuriating as a fan, and can't be looked-upon fondly by coaches.

If he had confidence in his jump shot, the rest would come together.

maynard g krebs
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
He needs to live in the gym. Give the kid a key. Go in at midnight and shoot 500 jump shots.

Watching him pass-up open looks from the perimeter only to dribble into trouble is infuriating as a fan, and can't be looked-upon fondly by coaches.

If he had confidence in his jump shot, the rest would come together.

Dan Dickau once said in a radio interview that he didn't shoot more than a couple hundred practice jumpers a day, because if he shot more, he wouldn't be able to give the proper attention/focus to each shot (paraphrasing). So I don't know if shooting X number a day is the issue or not. When you start missing and start to press, you lose your rhythm and things spiral downhill.

He looks like he's trying not to miss, and like he's afraid of another miss, when he shoots the ball, instead of shooting it like he knows it's going in.

Totally agree with your last sentence. But I agree with the premise of the OP. If not a sports psychologist, someone with expertise in teaching visualization techniques/ positive thinking.

bartruff1
01-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I have no source of information. Like any booster can, I have met the coaches and the admistration. I am sure not on Roth's rolodex. Roth and Krause are nice and polite enought to listen to my rant about scheduling SU and they don't actually let the door hit me in the ass when they show me out . As I have said before, Few plays the players that have the skills to give the team the best chance to win. My impression is that he is not Dr. Phil but that he is fair, honest and straight forward. Not a gameplayer, not a manipulator. The freshmen play with the great confidence that they have brought with them to Gonzaga. If Carter wants a bigger role, it is up to him.... if he earns it, he will get it....what could be more fair..

rennis
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Dan Dickau once said in a radio interview that he didn't shoot more than a couple hundred practice jumpers a day, because if he shot more, he wouldn't be able to give the proper attention/focus to each shot (paraphrasing). So I don't know if shooting X number a day is the issue or not. When you start missing and start to press, you lose your rhythm and things spiral downhill.

Agreed. I just threw out a big number because if I had a key to that place, I wouldn't leave til they dragged me out of there, and I'm pretty sure I could chuck up 500 jumpers before that happened.

:drool:

DADoZAG
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
If Carter wants a bigger role, it is up to him.... if he earns it, he will get it....what could be more fair..

Hmmmm. If it’s still the wrist that is impacting Carter, does the program tell him it’s solely up to him to get it rehabbed? Don’t they provide the professional help needed to get him as close to back to original shape as is humanly possible?

Having a mindset "injury" is no less damaging than having a physical injury, infact it's worse.

Henry Ford said, "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."

Go ZAGS! ZAG UP!

Zags11
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
The mental aspect of the game or in life in general is huge. It makes players like Kobe or MJ not worry if they miss a game winner. MJ said "Basketball is so much easier then real life, 2 things can happen.....you either will make or miss the shot". Thats why you will see me rise and fire in rec...lol

I believe imho Carter has thin skin, and a caring guy. If you do twitter he will usually respond to you. He needs to believe in himself.

I wish MC the best.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 03:34 PM
He tweeted at 100pm, just put up 200 shots b4 practice.

kclubfounder
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Hope he doesn't hang out here, this thread won't help one iota.

I disagree. The majority of posts are defending his performance this year as a product of things outside his control, and it seems to me that everyone likes him and wants him to finish this season like he finished last season. I know I like him and want him to play in February and March like he played last February and March.

Obviously he is capable. It's just a matter of doing it.

Marquise, if you do "hang out here", then good luck. We're ALL pulling for you.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
People on generally wanna pull for every player, some like certain players more and get upset easier for there favorite player. I believe if MC got 18.5mpg, you would see him return. He continues to get 8-9mpg, then its written on the wall.

kclubfounder
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
People on generally wanna pull for every player, some like certain players more and get upset easier for there favorite player. I believe if MC got 18.5mpg, you would see him return. He continues to get 8-9mpg, then its written on the wall.

I disagree. Marquise has basically gotten more minutes than his performance has dictated since game one of this season. I don't disagree with his minutes because he was so important and so awesome last year, but based on this year's performance I think he is lucky to get the minutes he has received.

And this "you need more minutes to get into a groove" argument is BS. Bench players have needed to perform during the minutes they receive since the beginning of time. You either do the job or you don't. And he hasn't - YET.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Yea bench players. Guys that are used to being played minimal time. I dont believe carter has ever been in his role before. If your a shooter, alot of guys need minutes and touches to provide. Your asking a guy who was a scorer to go in and basically go 2-2 or 2-3 and then hope for minutes. Where as if he go's 0-2, he is pulled and loses minutes.

I have never seen a guy avg 7-9 mpg being great at shooting % if that is his knack. Harts role is easier in terms of rebounding and defending. You need touches to shoot good usually.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I disagree. Marquise has basically gotten more minutes than his performance has dictated since game one of this season. I don't disagree with his minutes because he was so important and so awesome last year, but based on this year's performance I think he is lucky to get the minutes he has received.

And this "you need more minutes to get into a groove" argument is BS. Bench players have needed to perform during the minutes they receive since the beginning of time. You either do the job or you don't. And he hasn't - YET.

So, your saying david should lose minutes now because in his last 5 games he has been horrible? That is same time span when carter was playin terrible, that he lost his spot, his time, his confidence.

Zags11
01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Last 5 games carter is shootin 60% from field, 50% from 3, 80% from line. His a/to ratio is 1-1 which isnt good for a guard. So, then your saying he should get more PT from your theory, and DS should sit?

Cuz David has been horrid as of late. His IQ, and 3pt shooting and passing was reason he playing. He is shooting 15% overall, 20% from 3, and 1-1 a/to ratio. His defense is worse then carter too....

So, KC who would you play?

kclubfounder
01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Last 5 games carter is shootin 60% from field, 50% from 3, 80% from line. His a/to ratio is 1-1 which isnt good for a guard. So, then your saying he should get more PT from your theory, and DS should sit?

Cuz David has been horrid as of late. His IQ, and 3pt shooting and passing was reason he playing. He is shooting 15% overall, 20% from 3, and 1-1 a/to ratio. His defense is worse then carter too....

So, KC who would you play?

Dude, why do you hate Stockton? Your clear and obvious and unfiltered hatred is getting old. Give a reason or you will have to be my one and only "ignore list" member once again.

And please, be honest. Is it because you think he sucks? Is it because you think the only reason he gets playing time is because of his Daddy? Or is it because of something more politically incorrect? Be honest. Please.

gamagin
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM

this notion is rampant among the incognizanti (clueless, ignorant, innocent, insensible, nescient, oblivious, unacquainted, unaware, unconscious, uninformed, unknowing, unmindful). It belies how the system works under Few.

It's as if Few doesn't get a vote and the unmindful do, and thus keep offering up this false premise as a viable reason for repeating. It is not viable, nor even informed.

It's all because the unconscious don't like that answer. Well, tough sh!t. Shoot yourselves, but stop offering this tired canard up as proof of anything, except ignoranza.

Vanzagger
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Dude, why do you hate Stockton? Your clear and obvious and unfiltered hatred is getting old. Give a reason or you will have to be my one and only "ignore list" member once again.

And please, be honest. Is it because you think he sucks? Is it because you think the only reason he gets playing time is because of his Daddy? Or is it because of something more politically incorrect? Be honest. Please.

on your ignore list. We don't win jack with Stock and Pangos and
Bell out there together. Cute story though.

Oh yea, answer the original question "dude". Should david lose minutes? He's got the skin, I doubt he would lose confidence.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Carter is not a three. Carter is a point guard, one that this fan (realizing that I am not a successful D1 coach) believes is better than the guy subbing for Pangos.

When did MC become a PG for this team? He NEVER played there last year during his good stretch of basketball. Goodson, Gray, and Carter were the starters for most of the 2nd half of last year and I don't remember MC ever being in at the point. To me he is/was a 2 guard who looks to score...this year he seems lost and lacking confidence out there most of the time... both on offense and on defense. Since PG is really not an option, the only logical choice is to take minutes away from Bell.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
on your ignore list. We don't win jack with Stock and Pangos and
Bell out there together. Cute story though.

Oh yea, answer the original question "dude". Should david lose minutes? He's got the skin, I doubt he would lose confidence.

What are you trying to say with this "he's got the skin" remark? I've watched college basketball for many years and what DS brings to this team is a whole lot more positive than negative, regardless of his father or his skin.
When we have the lead the DS, Pangos, and Bell combo has been pretty effective. I'm not sure how much Few uses that lineup during the regular parts of a game, but down the stretch with a lead ....it works!

ZagsGoZags
01-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Carter, I've loved the guy from day 1, business like, no games, team player,
but thin skin, and perhaps a little too aware of the world as he is on a big stage. This year when he goes up to take a shot sometimes I can almost see him pausing, hoping, and almost trying to push the ball into the bucket. When the ball is whipping around from zag to zag to zag, when it comes to Marquise it stops and he thinks.

He might have to hit bottom to gain his battle self. He doesn't play like a warrior, but sort of like a gentleman, even though he admirably drives the lane to get a look or pick up valuable fouls on the opponents and make free throws. I predict some day a traumatic experience, or perhaps terrible post Zag opportunities will cause him to rediscover the sweaty, battling warrier that ignores the world, and focuses only on the fight before him. Dellavelldovadadovavelladellydova has 10 in his head of what carter has 3 in his head. Totally lost in the focus. Delly self consciousness is zero (well he did replace the black mouthpiece for a white one ) while MC seems to have a lot of self consciousness. Some people don't handle fame well, or it takes them awhile to get back to their inner power. For Marquise this whole thing started out with a deep passion for the game and winning (somewhere when he was a kid), and maybe the glory has distracted him.

I pull for MC more than any other zag, every game. At the beginning of one these games he is going to slap himself real hard between the eyes, and completely not give a damn about the world, anything at all, except play the fire in his gut, and not have a social thought until the game is over. He has to find his killer trance.

Zag79
01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
The main point was that MC outplayed Stockton, has the last handful of games but continually sees less PT. If its truly all about who performs, David would be getting les minutes than Marquise as of now. People are asked to come off the bench and perform, even in limited minutes. Carter was 1-1 from the floor, grabbed a couple rebounds, dropped some dimes, got a steal, and sparked a run in about 8 minutes total. What more can you do to earn time? GBJ is good, and will be great. He's not there yet. Sometimes he becomes invisible, 6 points in 30 minutes won't cut it. This is where MC should get a little more time, at the two. The freshman are playing great, but we will need the seniors to come thru if we want to make a run. To do that, more playing time will be needed.

Saxon_zag
01-24-2012, 02:04 AM
The main point was that MC outplayed Stockton, has the last handful of games but continually sees less PT. If its truly all about who performs, David would be getting les minutes than Marquise as of now. People are asked to come off the bench and perform, even in limited minutes. Carter was 1-1 from the floor, grabbed a couple rebounds, dropped some dimes, got a steal, and sparked a run in about 8 minutes total. What more can you do to earn time? GBJ is good, and will be great. He's not there yet. Sometimes he becomes invisible, 6 points in 30 minutes won't cut it. This is where MC should get a little more time, at the two. The freshman are playing great, but we will need the seniors to come thru if we want to make a run. To do that, more playing time will be needed.

Take all of Hart and STocktons minutes. Give them to Carter and MM. GLE starts and plays 23+ mins a game at the 3. We get out of the tiny pangos/stockton lineups that put us at a disadvantage and instead, ensure we pretty much always have good matchups defensively and have a lot of great athletes out on the floor. Plus as been said before MM stretches a defense if only to honor his shot and you get it in to Sacre with the room that he really needs to operate.

I really like Carter and as of late I really don't think he's been playing bad, just needs more time on the court again.

DixieZag
01-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Really like the idea proposed above.

It seems to me that last year - early in the year, his shot looked like a throw from a shortstop to first base. I seem to recall that it took only one game, past the halfway point of the season (but earlier than now) that he had a great game, from that point on he was money and didn't let up until he was injured in the St. John's game.

IF he were able to come off the bench, hit two three pointers in a row, take a charge and drive the lane, get fouled, ball happens to go in and hits the free throw, I believe that he would be a force for the rest of the year. He seems like a really sensitive kid, but not in a bad way - he is not sulking or hiding, he is still positive on the bench and up shaking hands with guys coming off. I don't think it would take a psychologist, it would simply take 5 minutes of him nailing his game and he wouldn't look back.

I dearly hope it happens but its getting late.

B Wayne
01-24-2012, 06:55 AM
On his tweets he says he just got glasses and "now he can see". Total speculation, but maybe this will help?

bartruff1
01-24-2012, 07:29 AM
I think he is going to get many of Stocton's minutes in Feb because of the matchups...and beyond, IF he can meet Mark's expections....he has about 10 games left in his college career and he will either go out with a bang or a whimper....I will always remember my track coach saying, always run thru the finish, no matter what...if I were to give him any advice it would be to play defense like it was his last game and to let the offense come to him...not force any shot...but to take good shots without fear when they are there...quit thinking and play... play more like Gary... but failing that, play defense like Hart....I can still him watching the ball roll out of bounds early in the season... that was not good...

Birddog
01-24-2012, 07:33 AM
On his tweets he says he just got glasses and "now he can see". Total speculation, but maybe this will help?

So what he really needed was a "Sports Ophthalmologist" eh?

U Zig, I Zag
01-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I disagree. The majority of posts are defending his performance this year as a product of things outside his control, and it seems to me that everyone likes him and wants him to finish this season like he finished last season. I know I like him and want him to play in February and March like he played last February and March.

Obviously he is capable. It's just a matter of doing it.

I know what you mean, but if his confidence is shaken easily even a little criticism might cause some issues.

I mean, if you are told you are incredibly handsome 99 times in one day, it's the 1 that calls you a barely functioning hunchback that sticks in your mind. :cheers:

DADoZAG
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Seriously? This isn't just some metaphorical comment?

This just seems like it's too good to be true, too simple of a remedy. But if it’s true, heck yea it will make a difference.

Hope he went with something like the “Wild Thing” look. Be BOLD, Marquise!

Go ZAGS!

GeorgiaZagFan
01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

The reality is that DS and MC don't play the same position. Stockton and Pangos are the only 2 PG's on the Zags at the moment. Carter has shown that he is NOT a PG so this "take playing time from DS" argument makes no sense. DS is a very good backup PG and brings a lot to the Zags. The fact that he's not performed well in the last 5 games is somewhat of a mute point as the Zags have won 4 of those last 5 games. If he continues to struggle and it hurts the Zags then it should get corrected. I expect DS to bounce back and have some solid games like he has in the past.

DADoZAG
01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
The reality is that DS and MC don't play the same position.

MC played mostly point guard before becoming a ZAG and some of us feel it’s his “natural” position. There’s no disputing your point that, since becoming a ZAG, Carter has been utilized as first a 2 guard and now at the 3.

Go ZAGS!

Baldwinzag
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
http://www.offthemark.com/Images/psych/psych01.gif

http://www.offthemark.com/cartoons/2006-11-24.gif

http://www.offthemark.com/Images/psych/psych02.gif

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNwnw5CgtjY4jc4PM9der0535DQmvtX sHbh76Jqqjow8GOijat

Zag4Hire
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, I spoke to my neighbor who is an OB/GYN and he thinks Carter's lack of ball rotation during his shot...Sorry, I saw the thread going down the wrong road.

Problem with Carter's situation is his turnaround last February was almost by necessity than by design. There wasn't Pangos and GBJ on the roster, performing well and taking minutes. Carter had to turn it around and he couldn't hide with a poor performance because nobody could take his place. He performed well down the stretch (how quickly we forget his 3 ball last year at Moraga that may have saved this WCC conference title streak) and seems to have reverted to his original ways. It was telling IMO after the SMC game he has logged a total 20 minutes in the last 3 games. He doesn't seem to factor much into the rotation and I would have thought if there was more of a hope for improvement, it would have been during this stretch. The focus seems to be getting Guy up to speed and he seems to be the beneficiary of the Carter fallout.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
MC played mostly point guard before becoming a ZAG and some of us feel it’s his “natural” position. There’s no disputing your point that, since becoming a ZAG, Carter has been utilized as first a 2 guard and now at the 3.

Go ZAGS!

I haven't seen the skills from MC to be a good PG at this level. I believe in Juco he was the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He would break down defenders off the dribble and score a lot driving to the basket or dish off for an easy assist. That was against weaker opponents ....Few has him in the right position. Carter needs to step up with confidence and take it strong to the basket when given the chance. In a 5 game stretch that ended with the St. Mary's game, MC played a total of 78 minutes and took a TOTAL of 4 foul shots!!! Last year he was getting to the line at a much higher rate. I would love to see him regain last year's form, would only make the Zags a better team.

B Wayne
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/SnapBackCarter/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FDQdZExMC

bballbeachbum
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM

:cheers:

and Marquise looks like me with his new glasses...seems the exact same pair, tho that's probably the same for a gazillion other people too

Zags11
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Huh? I was asking you if DS should get removed from his PT since he had been terrible last 5 games. I understand you love DS the best. Im just asking you point blank if DS should be down to 8 mpg with his terrible stretch like carter has gotten? You didnt answer and jabbed back on me "despising" DS.

I believe DS is a real good back backup guard. I believe 12-14mpg is warranted. I believe he is a good passer, high IQ guy. I also believe his defense is a liability out there vs good teams, especially him and pangos together. Pangos is better imo.

To be honest KC, it seems like you wanna jab at me. You dont have to like me...but point is you said carter lost his PT with his bad playing. So, DS should lose it to in your theory. My point is you cant get your game back when you get 4mpg of real pt and 3-4mpg of mop up duty.

Thanks.

Birddog
01-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Here's his picture w new glasses
Based on that picture I'd guess Carter's problem this season might be Kryptonite.