PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - San Diego - 1.21.2012

RenoZag
01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Zags run away and hide in the second half after an indifferent first half that saw the USD guards put on a pretty good show. . .

Rob & Elias both had double-doubles ( without grilled onions. . .)

Sam got off to a slow start but ended up in double figures. . .

Who gets your tip o' the cap as the player of the game ?

ESPN Box Score (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320212250)

ZagNative
01-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Welcome back, Big Rob!

NEC26
01-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Sacre for me but he and Harris really played well I thought.

Angelo Roncalli
Big Rob.

Zagnailler
Big Rob gets his mojo back Yeah!

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Big Rob.... but EH was close second.

webspinnre
01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I'll give it to EH, but awesome seeing Rob to normal.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I give it to harris, he really played with energy on the boards and just attacked the basket, his handle looks improved. Rob played well, but all he really had to do was dunk the ball. He outmatched their post players and got good feeds from the guards.
:vomit-smiley-007:

MickMick
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
The reason I gave it to Harris:

He created many of his own shots. Rob, on the other hand, was getting some great assists by Pangos. Further, Harris was rebounding as well as Rob was.

Both Rob and Elias had great games.

Bell was great. Pangos was feeding the post beautifully but has trouble defensively with the quick, tiny, jitterbug guards like USD has. Sam caught fire late. The game is slowing down for Edie.

zagitarious
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Big Bobby

Birddog
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I had Harris until about the 10 min mark of the 2nd half then the Mo shifted to Rob and he got my vote.

NEC26
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
The reason I gave it to Harris:

He created many of his own shots. Rob, on the other hand, was getting some great assists by Pangos. Further, Harris was rebounding as well as Rob was.

Both Rob and Elias had great games.

Bell was great. Pangos was feeding the post beautifully. Sam caught fire late. The game is slowing down for Edie.

Lets not forget that Sacre had to fight to get the good positioning to get those great feeds. He had a great night tonight because he worked his tail off out there.

zagitarious
01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
And the blocks give him a slight edge over E imo.

Reborn
01-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Robert Sacre It was good to see Rob back to his old self. Enjoyed watching him scream and pound on Dowers chest. Ellias was awesome as well.

The combinations of Sacre, Harris and Dower were pretty strong tonight. Our post players looked pretty good. I felt the subs pretty much stunk it up the first half (especially Dower and Stockton). I am really not liking Stockton's game right now. I really can't see what he is doing. He was missing layups, foul shots. His defense is ALWAYS bad. I really don't see all the time he's getting.

The other bright spot tonight was Edi. It was really good to see Few leave him in and let him play. He does a lot for the team, and more than Hart really. Glad to see Few starting Guy this weekend. HIs defese was really good tonight. He had another nice dunk. He had a three too. I think he will be ready by the St Mary's game.

RenoZag
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Cast my ballot for Rob over Elias. . .the deciding factor: Elias had two turnovers and Rob had none. . .

Both were absolute studs tonight.

There were some rough spots but I don't think the Player of the Game thread is the place to pitch a soapbox and rail against a player who wasn't in the running for the vote. . .

Unless, of course, you like that sort of thing.

gamagin
01-21-2012, 06:28 PM
EH put in a good shift, too..

fedwayzag
01-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Both Rob and Elias were focused tonight. We are tough to Handle when they both are ready to play. Went with Rob, but hard to ignore elias' 15 pts and 13 REBOUNDS.

Baseline
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Gave it to Rob with Harris ever so close.

Rob was playing with energy gain and going back to his hooks. He even caught some nice passes tonight. Lets hope this lasts.

DixieZag
01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
When Rob and Elias are being aggressive and attacking the rim we are very hard to stop. I thought that the guards did a good job of recognizing that the bigs were dominating and focused their game on getting it into the middle.

If the Zags didn't have a cold shooting start (they were open looks and no real bad misses, just not dropping early) both Harris and Sacre would have had over 20, easy.

Also really liked Edi, he worked hard defenively. Still made some mistakes on both ends but he is improving quickly in every game. If that pattern continues, look-out.

23dpg
01-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Sacre.

Honorable mention to Dower's post moves. Did you notice how well he finished going to his RIGHT?

Two great signs of future success!

Bocco
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM
gotta go with Big Rob, he had a great game and for the first time in a month didn't seem to loose energy as the game progressed .....

.... on the other hand the guy sitting next to me had a couple of hundred on the Zags and the points and wasn't too happy when Few ran the subs in with the Zags up 24, I'm sure he'd go with the "don't care, USD covered option, his final comment as he left the came was - jeez, what the hell was Few doing at the end of the game doesn't he know people got money on the line....

zagitarious
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
^^ lol

snebzag
01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
I voted EH. I really like him attacking the rim lately.

hockeyzag
01-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Without a doubt Harris. He is looking phenomenal on offense right now. Big Rob did his job as the big man tonight.

Just_An_Old_Zag
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I almost have to give it to the Refs, that was about as homer of a crew as I have ever seen...not that I am complaining but come on man...

Sam's obvious double dribble no call, I thought Harris travelled to Germany and back on most of his drives, I could go on but i won't ..afraid i will give us bad karma if i do.

2wiceright
01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Sacre is back! Played with tons of energy so he gets G-Unit tonight! Nice double double for both him and Harris who deserved a close second! Harris had 2 more rebounds and Sacre 3 more points to lead all scorers. This is a good omen for the rest of the season if he can stay at this level (energy wise).

Go Zags!!!

MJ777
01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I almost have to give it to the Refs, that was about as homer of a crew as I have ever seen...not that I am complaining but come on man...

Sam's obvious double dribble no call, I thought Harris travelled to Germany and back on most of his drives, I could go on but i won't ..afraid i will give us bad karma if i do.

You sound like the USD radio play by play guy. He kept talking about traveling no calls, a double dribble and Zags hacking without being called. He did not say USD lost because of the refs, but was complaining that the refs were pretty awful with the bad calls, no calls, etc. mostly going against USD.

I thought he was just being a homer, but it sounds like the refs were WCC bad.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Rob played well, but all he really had to do was dunk the ball. He outmatched their post players and got good feeds from the guards.

If he does that every night, he's a heckuva good player. I'm voting for him.

bartruff1
01-22-2012, 04:56 AM
gotta go with Big Rob, he had a great game and for the first time in a month didn't seem to loose energy as the game progressed .....

.... on the other hand the guy sitting next to me had a couple of hundred on the Zags and the points and wasn't too happy when Few ran the subs in with the Zags up 24, I'm sure he'd go with the "don't care, USD covered option, his final comment as he left the came was - jeez, what the hell was Few doing at the end of the game doesn't he know people got money on the line.... You should have told him that Mark had SD and the points..

DCZag
01-22-2012, 05:02 AM
I was glad to see Rob finishing aggressively at the rim - as far as the grousing about the refs; look at the pictures of 2 guys hanging on Robs arms almost every play w/ no call. While I believe WCC refs are the worst in the country - they weren't a factor last night in the outcome...

kitzbuel
01-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Rob for looking like his early season form. Getting position in the middle; going hard to the hoop, getting fouled and making his FTs; rebounding. Good to see an all around game again.

TacomaZAG
01-22-2012, 08:13 AM
almost every game, for his stellar play on both ends of the floor, but got to go with Rob. I know the USD bigs were no match for him, but it was great to see the energy back last night.

Anybody know what Rob said to John Stockton as he was leaving the floor last night??? Richard Fox said Rob's finger and comment were pointed at John, and got a laugh from him in the sands.

Go ZAGS

NotoriousZ
01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Big Rob

:allhail:

MDABE80
01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Elias....big time moves again. Powerful scoring, rebounding. Nice to see Rob get back in the game and put up some numbers to go along with play. For me though, Elias is only getting stronger. The transformation is stunning. He's playing better than he did 2 years ago. If he was 6 ft 9 in, he'd be gone.

OZZY
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Went with Big Rob, his renewed Mojo and presence in the middle allows E to have that much more space to work with. Rob also was more efficient in his scoring with one more basket in 1 less shot...no turnovers (yey!) and 2 blocks. One last thing, 4/4 from the free thow line perfect again!

raise the zag
01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
after watching the replay, Elias made 2 or 3 post moves vs USD I hadn't seen all season and possibly 2 or 3 post moves only a handful of PF's in the Country could even make...he had a really great game. On of his better mental games I've seen him play since 'Zona or SMC games. Aggressive, quick, and knew where he wanted to go with the ball before he had it, plus he crashed the boards HARD throughout. A terrific game made possible by his excellent motor...was really impressed with "E" all night long.

I voted him. Hope he maintains the same mindset and aggression the rest of the way.

cjm720
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Elias played amazingly well, but I'm given Bobby the nod because he's back and I hope he reads this...!

raise the zag
01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Elias played amazingly well, but I'm given Bobby the nod because he's back and I hope he reads this...!

Rob certainly deserved the nod(& props) as well. He looked like a completely different player vs USD.

I'd also like to point out GBJ's defense on Dee, who was averaging around 19ppg in WCC play and held one of the leading scorers to 10pts. Nice job by Gary. fwiw, Johnny Dee's only 2 3's were when GBJ was on the bench.

77Zag
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Bobby Sugar...