PDA

View Full Version : dreary

jazzdelmar
01-20-2012, 07:49 AM
dreary game. only pangos and harris shone, imo. most disappointing part was the zags played passively most of the 4th quarter agst the press, trying to husband the lead, instead of blowing the dons out.

the press was a wonderful opportunity to do that and take advantage of zags superior players. but almost all the time when the press was broken a non ball handler got the third pass in the middle of the court and pulled it out, or even a guard did so.

that must have come from few. only exception was carter who helicoptered in one basket i recall....and maybe turned over a few others. needs work.

some of few's lineups were mind boggling. recall only rarely did he have five complete players in the game at once. hart's a great kid but isn't it edi time? if only to find out if he can contribute down the road.

ZagHouse
01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Edi did some nice things last night, but he also played too casual at times. Monninghoff played well but got the hook after a questionable foul on the baseline. Watched him the entire time he was on the court. He spreads the defense, hustles on D, hit his one shot, and then sat the rest of the game.

jazzdelmar
01-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Edi did some nice things last night, but he also played too casual at times. Monninghoff played well but got the hook after a questionable foul on the baseline. Watched him the entire time he was on the court. He spreads the defense, hustles on D, hit his one shot, and then sat the rest of the game.

after edi hit a flurry of shots few jerked him. that could account for his uneven play. same for mm. it's a sweet mystery how few subs. it almost always seems counterintuitive. one thing: he has a hair trigger when it comes to getting his #1 security blanket, stocks, in the game. he hasn't screwed with pangos yet. we can all be grateful for that.

bartruff1
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Simply amazing...

roxdoc
01-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Right on Jazz.....right on!

Reborn
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't know. I am happy with the victory. Edi-Landry played quite well. 15 is pretty darn good, so come on guys, give the Zags a break. They didnt have to play all out to secure a good 11 point win.

I think Few wanted them to have some gas left in the tank for San Diego tomorrow tonight. San Diego is playing pretty darn good basketball and Gonzaga will need gas in the tank. Pangos and Harris were the only players who played more than 30 minutes and Harris only 31 (Pangos had 38). Sacre had only 28 and Bell and Stockton 25. I'm feeling we will be in good shape for tomorrow night's game. I take the games one at a time, and just keep on hoping and keep on believing that the Zags can win. Unlike many fans right now, I don't feel all that worry. I think the Zags are in real good shape right now.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-20-2012, 08:33 AM
It's hard for a player to succeed without having at least some understanding of if, when, and for how long he is going to play. Yes, every player needs to be ready at any given moment, but consistency helps breeds success. It's time to identify which SF gives us the best chance at winning and give him some leash.

23dpg
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Edi played well and I liked what I saw, but he did have too many turnovers. It's still a work in progress. I don't think Edi's ready for full time action.

Edit: Edi played 21 minutes to Hart's 7. It seems like Few is giving some of you what you want already.

In 21 minutes, great shooting, but 2 rbs, 4 tos, 0 assists and 2-4 from the line. I'm just a little cautious anointing him as the solution. I will give it a little time.

cjm720
01-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Other than Bobby getting back to form, Carter's our number 1 need IMO. He's so effective and efficient when his confidence is right. Last year's first half zombie walk was alleviated only when Few allowed him to play through some mistakes, and then his confidence soared.

We need Crazy Legs Carter to play more.

Thomas_Sutpen
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
It's time to identify which SF gives us the best chance at winning and give him some leash.

Maybe this is what happened last night? Edi got 21 minutes. It's probably still helpful for him to sit in spots and get some advice from coaches. He tried to bring the ball up the court at one point and turned it over--Few pulled him and told him that he needs to get the ball to Kevin (at least that's what I think he said).

I would like to see MM get more time, though. He's definitely playing better.

GoZags
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I'll take a "dreary" win in the Kennel over the "dreary" loss that BYU had in Provo last night. Any day.

john montana
01-20-2012, 08:50 AM
i haven't seen the game yet thanks to a DVR error on my part, but i'm with Jazz on Edi. from what i've seen, he's our best athlete. i'd let him play and see what we get.

NEC26
01-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Monninghoff to me seems like our best three but I understand why so many like Guy he has the ability to stretch it from three and drive to the basket. He is not good/smart with the ball though. Wether he can work through that remains to be seen. It surprises me how little time Monninghoff gets though.

siliconzag
01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
i haven't seen the game yet thanks to a DVR error on my part, but i'm with Jazz on Edi. from what i've seen, he's our best athlete. i'd let him play and see what we get.

Sometimes technical difficulties present opportunities to recapture lost or frittered away time. Wish I were in your predicament. I kept waiting for the Zags to kick it into high gear and play like the champions we were hoping they would become. Didn't happen. Delete it before it's too late. It will shake your confidence.

BobZag
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Two words:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 09:11 AM
A win is a win is a win.

I understand the 'dreary' comment. The game felt a bit sleepy, yet there were some energetic performances by certain players, namely Stockton & Pangos on defense.

I think it was more of a downer game due to the Kennel Club's worst performance in a decade(outside of a few chanting "beiber" to doolin), and the WCC officiating, which I believe deflates our bigs a bit underneath. After Dower was whistled for 2 quickies, it completely took him out of his element and his demeanor, effort, hustle changed on a dime. I've also never seen him so loose with the ball. Pretty tough to go from Big-10 style of play to Phantom City like that...the WCC officials stunt our bigs and actually punish us for having legitimate size and style in the post. Its pathetic.

Dave Libbey trying his best efforts on the floor & with his refs - all teams should be equal and contain no advantage, if there is an advantage of any kind, we will neutralize it immediately.

DADoZAG
01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Dave Libbey trying… his best … with his refs - all teams should be equal and contain no advantage, if there is an advantage of any kind, we will neutralize it immediately.

:cheers:

Making calls per “tendencies” is not making calls, it’s making them up. If you see it, call it. If you don’t see it, don’t call it. PERIOD

If you can’t see because you’re not in position, you shouldn’t be a ref.

Go ZAGS!

Beat San Diego!

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
:cheers:

Making calls per “tendencies” is not making calls, it’s making them up. If you see it, call it. If you don’t see it, don’t call it. PERIOD

If you can’t see because you’re not in position, you shouldn’t be a ref.

Go ZAGS!

Beat San Diego!

I'd be curious to know if WCC officials are the only refs who watch game film on players to learn their 'fouling tendencies' as directed by Libbey. He claims this is an innovative approach to officiating as we know it and I say differently. Its the end of fair officiating as we know it, if you're going to call fouls based on previous tendencies, then you might as well have a computer whistle fouls during the game. Don't players also watch said films and make adjustments and/or improvement to their games? Mr. Libbey doesn't account for this as he actually believes he's leading the way on a new approach...sickening. He's a mad man -- just Youtube his name and you'll see what everyone is talking about. I think he scares people into hiring him for jobs or something...

DixieZag
01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Great Point Raise the Zag. The officials did a lot to mix up our regular rotation and were blowing whistles about something every 20 seconds which would interrupt any team's flow.

We were up by 20 having held USF to less than 5 points in the second half with about 12 minutes to play. Then we had a bad 6 minute 8-0 stretch, props to USF who played their a** off on D (sometimes with their 7-12 men on their bench) and forced us to continue to play.

All 3 of our big front line had 2 fouls by the end of the second half, I think Dower got his 3rd sometime soon after that - not that easy to play aggressively when worried about fouling out.

Anyone who saw the BYU game should appreciate how much the refs in this conference want parity. They had so many calls go against BYU that were head shakers - I can't even describe it (and I wanted LMU to win!), so I was not surprised by Dower's 2 in 2 minute phantom offensive fouls, that even the announcer/apologists could not explain.

DixieZag
01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
And DON"T UNDERESTIMATE what "tendencies" can be emphasized and how that can impact a season.

There are so many ways to hurt a team that is bigger and stronger than most in the conference: watch for contact initiated by offensive player, really clean up 3 seconds in the key,

It can easily be skewed and I think it is - not against any one team per se, but against the traditional powers and toward parity - that will always mean that the Zags are swimming upstream.

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 09:47 AM
It was BYU's Coach Rose who said prior to the LMU game, "You never play the same team twice in Conference. It might be the same name, yet every team adjusts, changes their style, and plays differently every time you face them."

This was in response to the BYU media asking Coach Rose if he knew enough about LMU's 'tendencies' and game plan to feel comfortable this time around since they'd played just a week ago...

He made a good point, only if Dave Libbey understood this concept.

RenoZag
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
In 21 minutes, great shooting, but 2 rbs, 4 tos, 0 assists and 2-4 from the line. I'm just a little cautious anointing him as the solution. I will give it a little time.

Agree. One in a row is not a trend. . .

demian
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
after edi hit a flurry of shots few jerked him. that could account for his uneven play. same for mm. it's a sweet mystery how few subs. it almost always seems counterintuitive. one thing: he has a hair trigger when it comes to getting his #1 security blanket, stocks, in the game. he hasn't screwed with pangos yet. we can all be grateful for that.

i agree jazz. can i also ask why mathis keita didnt even get a minute of action after a good effort last saturday

Terrifteacher
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I think it is sad that people are posting about the lack of effort by the Zags and by the Kennel Club at the game. I thought it was an entertaining game and was happy to feel the energy when I walked into the Kennel. I know these boards are a place for people to share their opinion, but come on people! I loved Sacre's effort. I loved the balanced scoring. I thought our D did a pretty good job of controlling the game (the defense had around 13 or 14 steals!) Focus on the positives!

zagitarious
01-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Kennel Club was rocking early but was fading by the 2nd half.

zaguarxj
01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe they can put sequins on their uniforms so they'll look all pretty and sparkly when they win.

DCZag
01-20-2012, 03:31 PM
yep - you're right dreary; sheeeeesh!

U Zig, I Zag
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Pangos, Harris, GBJ (with Dower, when he shows up) will lead us to the promise land of a WCC conf champ. Rob looked much improved but I have resigned myself that he isn't going to come in and go 8/10 from the field on little turn around shots and 9/10 from the line (looked like early in the season that is what he was going to do to everyone we play).

I hated how it went from up 20 to up 10 in about 3 minutes, but that's Few/Zags MO. Not sure why we can't put a boot on a neck.

I honestly thought Keita was going to come in at about 10 to go and Few was going to press harder with a more frantic D - USF was a TO machine last night and we should have taken 5 or 6 more from them.

JPtheBeasta
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
It was frustrating to watch us beat the press consistantly, pull it back at half court, and let USF set up another trap. We could have had lay-ins and dunks like crazy last night if we stayed aggresive. A team with Pargo or Ronny or just about every other Zags team we've had would have been throwing down with abandon most of the second half. I agree with "dreary" because we took the air out of the ball, and the room, last night.

kclubfounder
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
dreary game. only pangos and harris shone, imo. most disappointing part was the zags played passively most of the 4th quarter agst the press, trying to husband the lead, instead of blowing the dons out.

the press was a wonderful opportunity to do that and take advantage of zags superior players. but almost all the time when the press was broken a non ball handler got the third pass in the middle of the court and pulled it out, or even a guard did so.

that must have come from few. only exception was carter who helicoptered in one basket i recall....and maybe turned over a few others. needs work.

some of few's lineups were mind boggling. recall only rarely did he have five complete players in the game at once. hart's a great kid but isn't it edi time? if only to find out if he can contribute down the road.

Jazz, here you go...

http://news.injuryboard.com/top-12-depression-drugs.aspx?googleid=256248

Don't say I've never done anything for you.