PDA

View Full Version : KSL.com

bartruff1
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
A must read for a discussion of the small gyms big wins for the WCC... I don't know how to link...it won't end the discussion but it may put it into some perspective especially since it came from Salt Lake...

adoptedzag
01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
I believe this is the link that you were referencing. (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=18932141&nid=272&title=from-the-stands-the-wcc-features-small-gyms-ncaa-wins)

RenoZag
01-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Choice Quote from the linked article:

Since the Mountain West's inaugural season in 1999-2000, teams currently in the Mountain West conference have posted a total of seven wins and 23 appearances in the NCAA tournament. During that same period, teams from the WCC have won 20 games and appeared in 47, with Gonzaga alone winning more than every current Mountain West team combined.

Gonzaga has won more than four times the number of NCAA tournament basketball games than any single Mountain West school. They've somehow done this in spite of their annual trips to every one of those small WCC gyms.

GoZags
01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Choice Quote from the linked article:

Quote:
Since the Mountain West's inaugural season in 1999-2000, teams currently in the Mountain West conference have posted a total of seven wins and 23 appearances in the NCAA tournament. During that same period, teams from the WCC have won 20 games and appeared in 47, with Gonzaga alone winning more than every current Mountain West team combined.

Gonzaga has won more than four times the number of NCAA tournament basketball games than any single Mountain West school. They've somehow done this in spite of their annual trips to every one of those small WCC gyms.

Bigtime point, Reno. I guess I'd never really looked into the MWC's lack of post season success vis a vis the Zags and the rest of the WCC.

There's one game I'd like to have back, however -- the 1st round game between Gonzaga and the outright Champion of the Mountain West Conference -- Wyoming -- played at altitude in a MWC gym. Hopefully Birddog has recovered from the inadvertant elbow he received (he was unfortunately sitting to my left) after a Jay Sherrill putpack (1 of the 19 made baskets in 71 GU field goal attempts)..