PDA

View Full Version : Zebras

ZagHouse
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Terrible tonight. The first half seemed like it lasted an eternity. The two quick fouls on Dower--awful, as were a number of other calls. Harris's second, on a loose ball, clearly in his possession--utter nonsense. Oddly enough, most of the egregious ones emanated from Libbey's whistle. We won, but it felt like Tecmo Bowl from the old Nintendo 64--trying to keep the game close.

awberke
01-19-2012, 10:06 PM
There were plenty of bad ones going the other way too. But those two on Dower were atrocious.

CDC84
01-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Few was not happy with the officiating tonight in the first half. Visibly upset.

sittingon50
01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
I saw Libbey, but he didn't have a whistle.

Ezag
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I think WCC refs are among the worst in the nation.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-20-2012, 05:02 AM
The calls on Dower were total phantom

ZagHouse
01-20-2012, 06:50 AM
My bad. I thought Libby was the bald ref.

Birddog
01-20-2012, 07:37 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/west/sports/genrel/auto_action/3210396.jpeg
If in doubt, he's the one with the glorious tan.

scott257
01-20-2012, 07:40 AM
From watching on television, it appeared to me that San Francisco had a very effective defense that we should try. I think it is called the "trap and slap."

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
The officials let some really obvious, physical fouls go, then called touch fouls at other times. I saw Sacre and Harris push off on obvious moving screens repeatedly without a call. Sacre moved one defender about four or five feet on one of those screens. USF reached in on a lot on those traps and usually got away with it. There were some odd touch fouls called at other times on other players. I don't think that the bad calls favored one side or the other on the whole, but I can see why the coaches or players for either team would be frustrated by the way the game was called.

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 08:27 AM
The Officials were equally bad last night in Provo -- on both sides.

Watched the game on BYUtv and have never seen so many phantom calls, on & off the ball.

25 fouls on LMU

24 fouls on BYU

7 players with 4 or more fouls b/w each team. Tedious. LMU was more aggressive as BYU's point-of-attack defense may be the worst in the League, so GBJ & Pangos TAKE NOTE! We think we give up open 3's? Wait 'til you watch BYU guard the perimeter.

Anyway, seems Dave Libbey & his Minions getting antsy again, not enough controversy to suit Libbey's hopes & dreams.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM
WCC referees are pathetic. It makes for bad basketball and puts us at a serious disadvantage in the NCAAs because we always go into the first round having not played a well officiated game for 2+months.

Dirt McGirt
01-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I love when the officials average more than one foul called per minute of basketball played (and somehow miss the most obvious ones.)

Last night Mitchell Young had a hold of a Pepperdine players jersey while playing off the screen. It wasn't in close he was about 3 ft away from the guy pulling his jersey. The ref was standing about 5 ft away and didn't call anything. I though Pepperdine's coach was going to come out of his suit.

BJZags
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
As long as the Zebras are equally atrocious to both side, I don't get too excited about officiating. What's bad for one, is bad for the other. Play on!

007Zag
01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
It's not wrong because it's unfair, it's wrong because it ruins the game. Sure, bad officiating on both sides is "better" than bad officiating that favors one side, but calling tedious/touch/phantom fouls while ignoring more obvious, legitimate fouls destroys the art of the game. Officiating should help basketball be more beautiful. When it ignores large fouls that disrupt the play of game, and whistles slight contact that can actually be a part of that beauty, officiating fails to do what it should.

Zagpower
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
With all the fouls called and addition of tv timeouts, the contest can appear to be more like a series of 30 second scrimmages as opposed to an actual game with flow.

CDC84
01-20-2012, 10:25 AM
With Ryan Spangler being out, WCC officiating is now more of a concern. GU's bigs can't afford to get into too much foul trouble. There's less depth.