PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Kennel Club reps. This is unacceptable

adoptedzag
01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
The first game back after a LONG break. There should be no empty seats in the KC. Period. The game could have taken a drastic turn for the worse. There was around 3 minutes left in the game when I took this picture.

http://imgur.com/St2zh

Left a link rather than an image because its a big image.

zagitarious
01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Can anybody clue me in on why the Kennel Club was chanting "cheater" everytime Doolin had the ball?

awberke
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
It was "Beiber," you know, cause he looks like Justin Beiber.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID21058/images/resized_justin_bieber_album_number_one_on_itunes.j pg

awberke
01-19-2012, 09:41 PM
I agree, that's pretty effin sad. There was a whole ton of snow and i assume people didn't want to wait out in the cold but that's not good for all the people that would love to have those seats.

Zag@LMU
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree, that's pretty effin sad. There was a whole ton of snow and i assume people didn't want to wait out in the cold but that's not good for all the people that would love to have those seats.

I for one was wait listed for tickets and never got a chance to go even though I would have if I was given a ticket. And those there werent even cheering hardly.

zagitarious
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
fo real??

zagademic
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
It was "Beiber," and it was pretty funny. If I were him, I would have cried and run to the locker room.

raise the zag
01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
crappy effort by the KC tonight. AND I never say that. I hope "snow" wasn't an excuse and/or hopefully poseurs haven't taken over the distribution line.

Redeem yourselves on Saturday.

Bring it, guys. C'mon.

awberke
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
fo real??

Why is that a surprise? They are practically doppelgangers.

awberke
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
crappy effort by the KC tonight. AND I never say that. I hope "snow" wasn't an excuse and/or hopefully poseurs haven't taken over the distribution line.

Its the only excuse i have, and i believe it. I'm not proud of it but i think its true.

Zagsker
01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
get some new cheers

GoGU
01-19-2012, 10:46 PM
He finished with 4 personal fouls. Band was seriously considering playing "Never Say Never" if he got his 5th.

sittingon50
01-19-2012, 11:00 PM
The WSU crew was calling Stockton that last year down there.

Stockton is much closer than Doolin to the heart throb.

GoGU
01-19-2012, 11:07 PM

Redeem yourselves on Saturday.

Bring it, guys. C'mon.

If I may defend my fellow students, the snow was definitely a concern tonight. There's no question about it. However, you will notice that the holes were primarily in the back part of the section. The students who choose to occupy the seats in the rear tend to be the fans who are more interested in attending the game for the "social" part of the event. These students are largely looked down upon by the rest of the section. Unfortunately, we have no way of enforcing the "standing at all times" rule or the "cheer as loud as you can" rule. Most of the students in the front part of the section lead by example. They are there to watch their team and cheer for them, and they actually care about basketball. If others choose not to follow that example, there is little we can do about it. This will not be as big of an issue in big games like BYU and St. Mary's, because the fair-weather fan will not want to camp out for 3-4 days in crummy weather. Many of us are doing what we can to show support for our Zags, and while the overall energy level was low tonight, the most passionate fans stood out. (Here's to you, guy in the orange prison jumpsuit).

Ekrub
01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
The KC has had finer days. From what I understand, when the school took control, the KC lost a lot of its creativity and energy. For a big game the KC gets rocking, but it's no where near the level of sdsu or usu, let alone some of the east coast schools.

adoptedzag
01-20-2012, 06:41 AM
If I may defend my fellow students, the snow was definitely a concern tonight. There's no question about it. However, you will notice that the holes were primarily in the back part of the section. The students who choose to occupy the seats in the rear tend to be the fans who are more interested in attending the game for the "social" part of the event. These students are largely looked down upon by the rest of the section. Unfortunately, we have no way of enforcing the "standing at all times" rule or the "cheer as loud as you can" rule. Most of the students in the front part of the section lead by example. They are there to watch their team and cheer for them, and they actually care about basketball. If others choose not to follow that example, there is little we can do about it. This will not be as big of an issue in big games like BYU and St. Mary's, because the fair-weather fan will not want to camp out for 3-4 days in crummy weather. Many of us are doing what we can to show support for our Zags, and while the overall energy level was low tonight, the most passionate fans stood out. (Here's to you, guy in the orange prison jumpsuit).

While I loved the guy in the prison jumpsuit, I'm not sure the argument holds water. As kids saw people leaving, they simply moved down if they wanted a better seat. As far as snow, you can't use that, as you have to walk ~100 yards to get home.

Anyway, I was just really disappointed at the kids tonight. They did great during the first half and the "bieber" chant really got in to #45's head. Unfortunately, it wasn't the complete effort that I was expecting out of the kids after being out of the kennel for over a month.

GonzagaSwagga
01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Who can I contact about getting that "ZAGA-*clapclap*" chant retired? IMO that one sounds absolutely awful.

Way to get up not just for the first game back, but also for an ESPN game. It sucks being able to point out single voices on the TV broadcast. Sad :mecry:

GoGU
01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Who can I contact about getting that "ZAGA-*clapclap*" chant retired? IMO that one sounds absolutely awful.

That cheer was "Zag up!" if it makes you feel any better.

hooter73
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
The KC has had finer days. From what I understand, when the school took control, the KC lost a lot of its creativity and energy. For a big game the KC gets rocking, but it's no where near the level of sdsu or usu, let alone some of the east coast schools.

Thats what I hear too but I honestly dont get it. Is everyone really that mindless and scared of the administration that they just bow down or does it not even comprehend that they can do anything. Grab your XXXXs and do what is fun and effective. Its not like we are a completely classless group that need to be controlled. Don't have to fight the man, just do your thing and get back to where the KC was when it got the MAC deemed one of the toughest places to play in the country.

MickMick
01-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Xavier verse Cincinnatti was an example of bad student behavior. The Kennel Club is doing just fine.

hooter73
01-20-2012, 07:10 AM
He finished with 4 personal fouls. Band was seriously considering playing "Never Say Never" if he got his 5th.

WHY WAIT??? That is exactly the type of thing that should have been done. We have got to get the Kennel back to rocking like it used to.

GonzagaSwagga
01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
On TV I thought it was "Beaver," but this makes more sense. They did a good job with it, too, chanting it every time he touched the ball.

GonzagaSwagga
01-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Zag up? Like Boiler up? Really? :vomit-smiley-007:

If we're going to steal chants, we should do so from a team that scores more than 45 points per game.

zag944
01-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Thats what I hear too but I honestly dont get it. Is everyone really that mindless and scared of the administration that they just bow down or does it not even comprehend that they can do anything. Grab your XXXXs and do what is fun and effective. Its not like we are a completely classless group that need to be controlled. Don't have to fight the man, just do your thing and get back to where the KC was when it got the MAC deemed one of the toughest places to play in the country.

As some one who was at school during the transition, once the administration took over, it was a lot harder for people under 21 to find a good pre-party. Whereas in my freshman and sophmore years their were several before most of the games. It did take a little bit of wind out of the sail, with the wind being heavy underage drinking. Made for a much rowdier and meaner Kennel Club.

GonzagaSwagga
01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
It did take a little bit of wind out of the sail, with the wind being heavy underage drinking.
:lmao:

Ebay
01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
The WSU crew was calling Stockton that last year down there.

Stockton is much closer than Doolin to the heart throb.

I was at that game. They were chanting that for KO, not Stockton. Remember KO's hair from last year? Spitting image of a 7'0 J Biebs. I had to laugh.

webspinnre
01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Which of course is a whole separate issue. If the only way you can get rowdy is to show up drunk, your priorities are messed up anyway.

Reborn
01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
USF is one of the toughest teams in our conference, and always give the Zags a tough game. It is always one of my favorite games we play in conference. I think because they always have such good outside shooters, and good guards. And that they usually give Gonzaga fits.

It was one of the poorest showings I've seen on TV. The game before outs on ESPNU was so wild and crazy. So when they switched over to the GU vs USF game after the game was over it sounded like the students were still on vacation....and honestly I think many were. The snow is really a poor excusse.....Wow!!!!! You guys are like what? 20? And you are afraid of snow?????

GonzagaSwagga
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Without me bringing it up, a Kansas fan in my office just came over to tell me how lame it looked/sounded. I'm embarrassed :(

Oregonzagnut
01-20-2012, 07:52 AM
The first game back after a LONG break. There should be no empty seats in the KC. Period. The game could have taken a drastic turn for the worse. There was around 4 minutes left in the game when I took this picture.

Jaded we are, but afraid we not be. Crush at home St Marys we will. Lose at BYU St Marys will. With Mark Few the force is strong.

May the force be with you, Kennel Club!

realtydog
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
every game seems to be an issue---same people always comment----lets all save the posts and paste them here after Saturdays game...good grief

hooter73
01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
As some one who was at school during the transition, once the administration took over, it was a lot harder for people under 21 to find a good pre-party. Whereas in my freshman and sophmore years their were several before most of the games. It did take a little bit of wind out of the sail, with the wind being heavy underage drinking. Made for a much rowdier and meaner Kennel Club.

You're telling me 18-20 year old college kids cant figure out how to party? I know I went to one of those "lesser" schools, not as prestigious as GU and I might have grown up in a small town where rowdy is a way of life but are your freaking kidding me...

namsypansygirlymencityboys

I'm not encouraging underage drinking or any illegal activities but lets be real here. If the KC leadership has their hands tied then they need to excel at what they can do (shirts, chants, signs...) and the rest of the kids need to have fun their own way. This over regulated golf clap your hands twice and politely sit back down stuff is BS but its bigger BS that everyone conforms to it.

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Some have said, "USF isn't Mich St". I don't care what name is on the opposition's jersey, if anything, USF is a bigger name than MSU simply b/c they're in the WCC. Balls to the wall EVERY game. I thought the Spokane community/crowd sustained better energy & effort over Holiday Break than the Kennel Club last night.

If you're a member and felt your fellow students were underwhelming, then do something about it. Get on Facebook, Twitter, Student emails, etc and share your thoughts and tell them to "Zag Up" or whatever it is you're saying. There are literally 10 FB accounts dedicated to the KC and even more on Twitter and in this day 'n age, it can be used as motivation.

The Kennel Club deserved more criticism than any player on the court last night, imo.

zag944
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
You're telling me 18-20 year old college kids cant figure out how to party? I know I went to one of those "lesser" schools, not as prestigious as GU and I might have grown up in a small town where rowdy is a way of life but are your freaking kidding me...

namsypansygirlymencityboys

I'm not encouraging underage drinking or any illegal activities but lets be real here. If the KC leadership has their hands tied then they need to excel at what they can do (shirts, chants, signs...) and the rest of the kids need to have fun their own way. This over regulated golf clap your hands twice and politely sit back down stuff is BS but its bigger BS that everyone conforms to it.

Theres a big difference in population between people who will figure it out and people thatll take advantage of it all being figured out for them. Some people will get good and ready at all costs...others probably need the convienience factor to get going.

Preparties were a huge event my first two years, and were nearly nonexistent my second two.

kitzbuel
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
It was "Beiber," and it was pretty funny. If I were him, I would have cried and run to the locker room.

I thought it was pretty fun, too. 'Beiber....beiber,beiber' every time he dribbled.

sittingon50
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I wasn't at the WSU game last year Ebay, so I will stand corrected. Thanks.

ZaggyG
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
As a current member of the Kennel Club, I don't think that it's fair for some of you guys to generalize, and say that the entire student section is at fault for this 'lack of effort.' I can assure that the majority of students who attend the games are indeed passionate Zag fans who bleed red and blue (myself included). Sadly, it is true that some people are more interested in socializing instead of watching what is happening on the court. Normally, I am the type of student who is up at the crack of dawn (I'm not kidding) to get in line on a game day. Yesterday, not wanting to wait in snow and freezing temperatures, I sat further back than I usually do. On several occasions, the students behind me were talking loudly to each other, and paying zero attention to the game. Everyone in front of me, however, appeared to be doing the opposite. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're not the only people who notice these problems. The KC Board does too. So do I. I wish I could fix them, but it's not exactly easy to wrangle 1200+ of your peers into paying attention to the game/cheers and nothing else.

hooter73
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
As a current member of the Kennel Club, I don't think that it's fair for some of you guys to generalize, and say that the entire student section is at fault for this 'lack of effort.' I can assure that the majority of students who attend the games are indeed passionate Zag fans who bleed red and blue (myself included). Sadly, it is true that some people are more interested in socializing instead of watching what is happening on the court. Normally, I am the type of student who is up at the crack of dawn (I'm not kidding) to get in line on a game day. Yesterday, not wanting to wait in snow and freezing temperatures, I sat further back than I usually do. On several occasions, the students behind me were talking loudly to each other, and paying zero attention to the game. Everyone in front of me, however, appeared to be doing the opposite. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're not the only people who notice these problems. The KC Board does too. So do I. I wish I could fix them, but it's not exactly easy to wrangle 1200+ of your peers into paying attention to the game/cheers and nothing else.

Respect what you're saying but Bull. You're there, you get your friends there who will cheer like you do and you get there early to get in front of the socializers. I dont think the students truly appreciate what they have in the Kennel Club. Do you know how many thousands and thousands of die hard fans will never ever get to see a game live in person? How about what season tickets cost if they ever were to be avalible? These people have to watch on national TV the students with their heads down texting or backs turned to the game to talk with their friends they see everyday. Its just crap. There is a legacy at stake and its not just the UCLA consecutive title.

ZAG944 - what was it exactly that changed in between your 2nd and 3rd year? Threats from admin about partying or playing nice at the games? Students that hosted parties graduated?

zag944
01-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Between my 2nd and 3rd, when the KC changed hands, GU started cracking down heavily on house parties, with regards to the KC in particular. Several houses more known for partying were spoken to by the school. As far as threats and potential punishments I dont know what was said.

Many and on some nights all KC associated events were moved to bars, which are of course 21+. It was a great party, but the 2 classes under me were left out unless they had fake IDs or something.

Zag 77
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Kids were probably worried about the fact they have classes the next day. They just got their first semester grades and got yelled at by their parents during Christmas vacation.

ZagNut08
01-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting comment about bleeding blue and red, my first reaction was that our colors our blue and white...interesting to note that the athletic site now has added red to the school colors, making it: navy blue, white, & red.

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205176813&SPID=90854&SPSID=630588

Zig-Zag
01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF OLD FARTS NEED HEARING AIDS!!:lmao:

americasteam
01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
I think the Kennel Club is great. It looks awesome to see all the kids in the same T-shirt, jumping in unison, the entire game. Does a person have to be drunk to do that? Peer pressure works!

My nephew is a freshman at FSU, and for football they had an awesome, huge, loud cheering section of students (he was the barechested 'L' in SEMINOLE), but I was less than impressed with their student section for basketball. Lot of students there, but all spread out, and without a unified voice.

Kennel Club, you're awesome, and the nation has given you credit...but you gotta bring it every game!

MaroonZag22
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Between my 2nd and 3rd, when the KC changed hands, GU started cracking down heavily on house parties, with regards to the KC in particular. Several houses more known for partying were spoken to by the school. As far as threats and potential punishments I dont know what was said.

Many and on some nights all KC associated events were moved to bars, which are of course 21+. It was a great party, but the 2 classes under me were left out unless they had fake IDs or something.

We were there at the same time, and I have to agree with those above. This excuse is absolute BS! The problem with the KC has absolutely nothing to do with the drinking, and EVERYTHING to do with the leadership. I agree that during the four years I was there, the KC got progressively worse each year. But I know it wasn't the drinking because the KC my freshman year was much worse than the KC had been when I was a junior and senior in high school (and I know b/c my brother went to GU and snuck me into the KC for a couple of games). The difference I saw between the KC when my brother was there and the KC when I was there was the leaders of the KC taking the initiative to get the crowd into the game as a cohesive unit. That problem was made worse our Junior year when the university took over the KC, and instead of the leadership being groomed and taught by those before them, they were elected in a popularity contest. But all of this has nothing to do with drinking. If it takes being #### faced for students to get pumped up and excited for their team, I feel sorry for them. But that is NOT a valid excuse for why the KC can't get loud and rowdy for their team.

BobZag
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
sounds like alot of old farts need hearing aids!!:lmao:

you say something?!

BobZag
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
May the force be with you, Kennel Club!

"With you, may the Force be, Kennel Club."

tsk tsk.

Zaglaw
01-20-2012, 10:50 AM

I actually thought that was a good one.

asoc
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
If people(students) aren't happy with the Kennel Club, start up a new group independent of the School.

Sometimes elected leadership isn't always best for groups like these.

But being independent is something that should never have been given up.

adoptedzag
01-20-2012, 11:08 AM
sounds like alot of old farts need hearing aids!!:lmao:

get off my lawn!

raise the zag
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
wait, from what I'm hearing, there are no longer Pre- & Post-game Kennel Club parties? :(

Wha the...

I didn't hear that right.

I spent 25% of my time during my 4 years at KC-hosted parties. I even donated my SUV & home on Mission during my JR & SR years to hosting parties and picking up kegs. Sometimes over 20+ kegs were picked up for a single game and spread throughout multiple houses/locations. Generally, we'd have 2 houses for pre-game entertainment & warm-up and around 4-5 houses following the game. The Party locations were relayed to the entire KC during the game. You were required to wear your KC shirt for entry into the social gatherings, along with showing your: 1. Special Logo on shirt for Free Beverages and/or 2. A special item(such as key chain) to also receive free drinks of choice.

Hell, we'd practice cheers in basements, lawns, packed rooms, around kegs prior to every game...

You're telling me this no longer exists? Heck, I even had a few faculty show up at KC events from time to time.

Again, :(.

ps. attended GU 2001-2005.

Colbyspapa
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
For the love.... somebody buy these guys a keg!

KC always started with the players when I was there. They were our friends and we felt a need to help them. Yes, we drank a lot of beer, but a home court advantage is only an advantage if the fans are passionate about creating that atmosphere. You have to want to put fear into the other team. It is not just good natured ribbing, there is a bit of nasty that goes into it. KC FIND YOUR INNER NASTY!

asoc
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
wait, from what I'm hearing, there are no longer Pre- & Post-game Kennel Club parties? :(

Wha the...

I didn't hear that right.

I spent 25% of my time during my 4 years at KC-hosted parties. I even donated my SUV & home on Mission during my JR & SR years to hosting parties and picking up kegs. Sometimes over 20+ kegs were picked up for a single game and spread throughout multiple houses/locations. Generally, we'd have 2 houses for pre-game entertainment & warm-up and around 4-5 houses following the game. The Party locations were relayed to the entire KC during the game. You were required to wear your KC shirt for entry into the social gatherings, along with showing your: 1. Special Logo on shirt for Free Beverages and/or 2. A special item(such as key chain) to also receive free drinks of choice.

Hell, we'd practice cheers in basements, lawns, packed rooms, around kegs prior to every game...

You're telling me this no longer exists? Heck, I even had a few faculty show up at KC events from time to time.

Again, :(.

ps. attended GU 2001-2005.
From my limited understanding, the school wanted control of the Kennel Club for whatever reasons. So, they bullied their way in and took over.

But none of this conversation is new, see this thread from 2007.
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=6578
And this one
www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7347

To address some credible concerns, the Kennel Club has been undergoing significant changes since 2003, when the Gonzaga administration chose to trademark the phrase "The Gonzaga University Kennel Club" in an effort to curb underage drinking.

No longer a completely student-run organization, we have experienced pressure from students to maintain the status quo of prior years, and pressure from the school administration to make the changes necessary to ensure that their club is no longer a liability for potential lawsuits.

I like this post by TheBeast on the issue as well
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=104492&postcount=36
specifically

My senior year was also the year the school put the Kennel Club in the commercials, which I loved of course, but in hindsight I guess it was a bad idea. That's pretty much the time I can pinpoint as the school beginning to lay claim to the club. Once the Kennel Club was officially recognized by the University by appearing in their commercials, that's when they had more incentive to get control and copyright it and put the name on sweatshirts and pint glasses, which is something I of course had wanted to do my senior year. That's a good chunk of change for the school to gain by selling t-shirts and other merch. Liability concerns + school's image + $ = GU controlled KC.
I bolded the important part.

In reality, all anyone needs to do is step up and host their own parties that have no connection to the "Kennel Club". I am sure raise the zag could give them some great pointers on hosting parties.

You can go underground and do things without the kennel club. You can form an independent group and run things more similar to how it was done in the past.

But it takes leadership and a will to change things. Until that happens we will see these same conversations every year on these forums.

zagitarious
01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Why is that a surprise? They are practically doppelgangers.

I just thought i was positive they were chanting cheater but yea he does look like Bieber.

GoGU
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
The fact of the matter is that if you want good seats, you can't party before the games, because you need to be lined up at the door. Since 50% of our games are on Thursday nights from here on out, students usually don't party after the games either. Saturday nights are a different story, but there are no dedicated "Kennel Club" parties. The fact is that the culture has changed a lot since the university took control of KC. The reason that the university took over is to curb the underage drinking culture. I wonder if they realize that the water bottles in the student section don't usually have water in them.

hooter73
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
The trend towards binge drinking and kids... opps I mean, people, not being able to regulate themselves and just have a brew or two might be another part. I dont want to see guys or girls that mixed three shots with a dark beer start projectile-ing during the Zombie Nation stomp.

I get the booze influence but you cant tell me that in the entire student body you cant find people like the girls I used to some how get hooked up with that were loud and crazy even with out being toasted.

Ekrub
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
The trend towards binge drinking and kids... opps I mean, people not being able to regulate themselves and just have a brew or two might be another part. I dont want to see guys or girls that mixed three shots with a dark beer start projectile-ing during the Zombie Nation stomp.

I get the booze influence but you cant tell me that in the entire student body you cant find people like the girls I used to some how get hooked up with that were loud and crazy even with out being toasted.

:roll:

hooter got with some wild ones, eh?

sittingon50
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
So suggest to the board members that you pull a page out of a political playbook & put "plants" throughout the KC. Was your view of the game significantly different being a few rows higher up? Spread the word thru the membership that the rowdy ones need to spread out more so that they can better influence their neighbors. Take turns from game to game; being up close or being a little further back. More work? Yeah, but better effect.

pbriz
01-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Let's be honest- you won't get your message across this way. It's way easier to stand and cheer in the kennel club than to sift through this thread for the 50th time. Anyone reading this at this point surely cares enough to stay at the games and cheer tier a$$ off

Zagsker
01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
The KC looks like it is going through the motions during a game....I have been to only a few live games and even then I have never been overly impressed with the KC..whether live or on tv the cheers are the same, Zombie Nation has run its course and the "OMG, what just happened" stares that some students in the section give are just flat out embarrassing........nut up KC

zagmantis2001
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
No excuse for not showing up because of the snow. The dorms are in walking distance for god's sake. Tickets were available for Saturday, we'll see how many, but apathy has been building for a number of years.

Oregonzagnut
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
If a spot opens up the ushers should invite any fan with a red shirt down into the kennel club. Do it quick or at least stop keeping fans out of the area if students aren't going to use the prime seats. They are usually at the top edges where people can just filter in. Bid deal. Too bad the ushers get power trips on occasion. But if we get it right playing some WCC team, then we will be efficient when the nationally televised games roll around and the "Kennel Club, IS AND STAYS ROCKIN', YEAR ROUND!! They just have to keep diligent! The MAc Center staff need to realize a strong and powerful Kennel club helps keep our team in momentum during a game, it helps recruiting when athletes see a strong and consistent fan base and it helps bring in TV programming and advertisers who want to be a part of something so exciting.

Make a kids day or anyone who wants to be a part of the "club".

IrishZag
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
First off the kids who are actually reading this board are the most die hard are doing what they can to bring the atmosphere to the games. What are they supposed to do lecture their peers on your behalf that they aren't being real fans?

On top of that our memories of the Kennel Club from back in the day are skewed by nostalgia You remember the UW games, the Pepperdine rivalry, or whichever game is etched into your memory because of the incredible atmosphere. You don't remember the Thursday LMU game where we blew them out of the water by thirty and the KC turned their attention to flirting with the cute co-eds in their row or figuring out where they were drinking afterword.

Second, this generation faces a lot more challenges to building a unified atmosphere. For one the student section doubled when we moved into K2, so you're percentage of die hards are going to decrease, especially because a lot of the more casual fans were in the upper deck back in the day. Compound that with smart phones and more in arena distractions than ever and you're bound to have some fragmentation in the student section.

Let's not underestimate the power of expectations among the student body. Winning is now a habit for the Zags, especially at home in conference. Back 6-10 years ago we were fragile, worried that at any moment the magical run could end. You could call the students spoiled, but the last time the Zags didn't win league they were less than 10 years old so its hard to expect them to know much else.

On top of that the culture of the school has changed. As previously mentioned the Kennel Club used to be an independent student run organization. They organized parties which, yes served alcohol, but also established a camaraderie between the supporters. Then the school had some bad press and liabilities as a result of KC related drinking incidents in 2003/04 where the school fully realized it's national media presence. At that point the school took the reigns of the Kennel Club for both IP and student safety issues. They
cracked down on the underage and binge drinking which in effect destroyed the party and fraternal culture of the Kennel Club. You take away the communal gatherings, and double the size of the student body and that we're all in this together intimacy goes away.

To their credit the students have brought new elements to the atmosphere. Camping happened literally once between 2002 and 2006, now that is a regular occurrence. Zombie Nation has it's own new flavor. We have a fight song that has been adopted. They are trying to bring new cheers to the table like "Zag Up" and "We are GU". And they still try to single out players even though the School has cracked down on that too (remember Kissing Kickert?)

So give the kids a break, they are doing their best and if you encourage them vs. criticize them anonymously then you might be surprised by the results.

Irish
2002 - 2006
2 year in each Kennel and witness to the slow death of the independent Kennel Club.

adoptedzag
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Listen,
I understand that the students in the KC who read this board are the hardcore ones. What I want is for those that do read this board to spread the word and light a fire under the ass of those who don't. There are three Ts that people can give, time, talent and treasure. Usually 2 of the 3 are good enough, and if you can convince others to invest into being a member of the KC that makes others proud, you've done your job.

I think the KC has done wonderfully in the past, I'd just like to see the atmosphere especially after a long break be electric and not just a social event. We have enough of that (sitting) on the other side of the court.

Is there a better way to bring these concerns to those "in charge" of the KC? please let us know.

MedZag
01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
First off the kids who are actually reading this board are the most die hard are doing what they can to bring the atmosphere to the games. What are they supposed to do lecture their peers on your behalf that they aren't being real fans?

On top of that our memories of the Kennel Club from back in the day are skewed by nostalgia You remember the UW games, the Pepperdine rivalry, or whichever game is etched into your memory because of the incredible atmosphere. You don't remember the Thursday LMU game where we blew them out of the water by thirty and the KC turned their attention to flirting with the cute co-eds in their row or figuring out where they were drinking afterword.

Second, this generation faces a lot more challenges to building a unified atmosphere. For one the student section doubled when we moved into K2, so you're percentage of die hards are going to decrease, especially because a lot of the more casual fans were in the upper deck back in the day. Compound that with smart phones and more in arena distractions than ever and you're bound to have some fragmentation in the student section.

Let's not underestimate the power of expectations among the student body. Winning is now a habit for the Zags, especially at home in conference. Back 6-10 years ago we were fragile, worried that at any moment the magical run could end. You could call the students spoiled, but the last time the Zags didn't win league they were less than 10 years old so its hard to expect them to know much else.

On top of that the culture of the school has changed. As previously mentioned the Kennel Club used to be an independent student run organization. They organized parties which, yes served alcohol, but also established a camaraderie between the supporters. Then the school had some bad press and liabilities as a result of KC related drinking incidents in 2003/04 where the school fully realized it's national media presence. At that point the school took the reigns of the Kennel Club for both IP and student safety issues. They
cracked down on the underage and binge drinking which in effect destroyed the party and fraternal culture of the Kennel Club. You take away the communal gatherings, and double the size of the student body and that we're all in this together intimacy goes away.

To their credit the students have brought new elements to the atmosphere. Camping happened literally once between 2002 and 2006, now that is a regular occurrence. Zombie Nation has it's own new flavor. We have a fight song that has been adopted. They are trying to bring new cheers to the table like "Zag Up" and "We are GU". And they still try to single out players even though the School has cracked down on that too (remember Kissing Kickert?)

So give the kids a break, they are doing their best and if you encourage them vs. criticize them anonymously then you might be surprised by the results.

Irish
2002 - 2006
2 year in each Kennel and witness to the slow death of the independent Kennel Club.

Spot on analysis. There's a lot more at play than "effort" of the KC. It's a shame, yes, but a reality of changing times.

gamagin
01-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Irish
2002 - 2006

I thought the KC did a fine job representing.

The fact that some may have left early is hardly a crime. Much of the time the KC will tend to bunch up closer to the floor after they have been seated, so that, too tends to create gaps in the seating, I've noticed.

At any rate the presence of the KC was not only a welcome sight, but their participation and attendance was much appreciated by this fan, too.

The energy was at least equivalent to the play. And I'm not sure what else can realistically be expected.