PDA

View Full Version : Snow Emergency

adoptedzag
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jan/19/spokane-flights-and-seattle-canceled-delayed/

UPDATE AT 12:37 p.m.

The City of Spokane declared a stage 1 snow emergency at 12:30 p.m.

The declaration creates a ban on parking along arterials and Spokane Transit Authority bus routes starting at 6:30 p.m. Along plow routes deemed “residential hill routes,” cars must be parked on the side of the street that has even-numbered addresses by 12:30 a.m.

With the impending snow storm, is the game going to go on? If it were to be cancelled, where would we hear about it?

gamagin
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
of course the a$$ draggers will come in bout 15 minutes late instead of 8-10 minutes late due to weather . . .

Colbyspapa
01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I really hope not. Saturday will be only my second game in K2. My daughter and I are heading to Spokane for a soccer game that afternoon and on to McCarthy after she is done! She is a high school freshman with hopes of following Dad to GU. These trips always solidify her desire to stay far away from Huskiville!

Zag 77
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
They did not cancel in the winter of 2008 when it was a lot worse. It would take one hell of a lot.

Unlike Seattle, we are not snow wimps in Spokane. Evidently LA Times had an article about Seattle Snow Wimps that got some play today.

raise the zag
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Have a feeling the Kennel won't be at full capacity due to snow -- the students should be in full-force.

tobizag
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
They did not cancel in the winter of 2008 when it was a lot worse. It would take one hell of a lot.

Unlike Seattle, we are not snow wimps in Spokane. Evidently LA Times had an article about Seattle Snow Wimps that got some play today.

to be fair, seattle roads are all crowned to handle rain (making it nearly impossible to not slide towards a ditch), and this side of the state is far hillier than spokane. it's also important to note that the type of snow we get over here tends to be far more wet, and thus prone to ice problems like we're facing now. we don't typically get 20 degree days with powdery snow that you can just plow and drive on. we get 31 degree days with 6 inches of wet snow, followed by freezing rain, followed by snow. there's 3/4" of ice on everything here right now. then of course it's going to rain and flood the whole western side of the state.

U Zig, I Zag
01-19-2012, 01:44 PM
If there are empty (non-KC) seats it will be because of the weather certainly. When it gets like this (which isn't a snowpacolypse) logistics get harder (dropping kids off, both parties meeting someplace and taking one car, etc).

Personally, I am glad I don't have the option this game - I will be home on the couch with the fire going.

MDABE80
01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Students will rule tonight. They make the noise anyway. Go Zagzzzzzzzzz!!

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
If you say "SNOW EMERGENCY" 10 times really fast, you will eventually be saying "IT'S NO EMERGENCY".

Play on.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Have a feeling the Kennel won't be at full capacity due to snow -- the students should be in full-force.

As long as there are COG trays to sled on, the students ought to be able to get to the game.

Lurknomore
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
U Zig I Zag- I am with you on this one home on the couch tonight. Will be there Saturday tho.

Go Zags.

GoGU
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Tonight will be tough, but City of Spokane has been through this many times before, and they will obviously do their best to keep the plows moving.

Saturday is a different story. Predicted high for Saturday is 38 degrees and rain. Which means the snow will likely melt. Hopefully, flooding will not be an issue.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Can't be worse than the Texas Southern game from 2008. Now that was nuts.

ZaggyG
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
As long as there are COG trays to sled on, the students ought to be able to get to the game.

We no longer have COG trays :mecry: we'll still be at the game, though! I did see someone skiing down Sharp yesterday, so there's another viable mode of transportation.

DixieZag
01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Only thing worse than sitting on the couch not wanting to go out and challenge the weather is to sit on the couch w/o the GU game on. Already depressed that it starts at 7 and not 6.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
We no longer have COG trays :mecry: we'll still be at the game, though! I did see someone skiing down Sharp yesterday, so there's another viable mode of transportation.

What!!!!!???!!!!! What kind of a Communist organization is this!!!???!!! That does it!!! The univeristy will no longer be receiving my generous annual donations if it no longer provides trays to its student body for meal times!!!

Did they resort to brown paper bags?

awberke
01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
If you say "SNOW EMERGENCY" 10 times really fast, you will eventually be saying "IT'S NO EMERGENCY".

Play on.

How do you come up with this sh!t? :clap:

EuroZag2010
01-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Pretty unreal outside! Everyone drive safe. Just got to the kennel and that was a challenge

Bogozags
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
if you say "snow emergency" 10 times really fast, you will eventually be saying "it's no emergency".

Play on.

funny!

mee755
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
to be fair, seattle roads are all crowned to handle rain (making it nearly impossible to not slide towards a ditch), and this side of the state is far hillier than spokane. it's also important to note that the type of snow we get over here tends to be far more wet, and thus prone to ice problems like we're facing now. we don't typically get 20 degree days with powdery snow that you can just plow and drive on. we get 31 degree days with 6 inches of wet snow, followed by freezing rain, followed by snow. there's 3/4" of ice on everything here right now. then of course it's going to rain and flood the whole western side of the state.

Tobi, honey, this makes you sound like a Seattle whiner. I know it's hard to hear, but true.

XOXO

Mee

tobizag
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Tobi, honey, this makes you sound like a Seattle whiner. I know it's hard to hear, but true.

XOXO

Mee

don't call me honey.

people can insult my city and then we don't get the right to defend it? stupid.

read this, sweetheart.

http://www.king5.com/sports/sportspress-nw/137716863.html

mee755
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Tobi - it was in fun. Hate if you want. I'll understand. Sorry your weather sucks & will pray for warmer days.

XOXO
Mee

(perhaps the XOXOis excessive? Let me know if that is out of line, too)

ZagLawGrad
01-19-2012, 07:13 PM

:lmao:

kitzbuel
01-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Dam, tobi. You got Mee to call you Honey. I'm a little bitter. She still hasn't used that for me yet.

Ekrub
01-19-2012, 07:29 PM
She gave him an xoxo too.

Lucky! </Napoleon dynamite>

mee755
01-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I forgot how sensitive people from the wet side of the state can be. I do apologize. And I honestly hope that all are safe & sound. This natural disaster is nothing compared to what they may experience. I watch the weather channel. That subduction zone terror is scary ####.

willandi
01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
The snow plowing schedule reminded me of a joke. Please, it is intended as humor, I am not sexist or age-centric, it is just a joke and they all have to have a punch-line.

"An elderly couple was sitting, reading and listening to the storm report on the radio. The request came in to have all people living on the even numbered side of the streets to park on the north side, to allow for plowing. The elderly wife put on her coat and moved their car.
The following evening was the same pattern, but this time the request was to park on the south side of the street. Once again the elderly lady dressed and moved the car.
The third evening the storm was still raging, and just before the announcement of which side of the street to park on, the power went out and the radio quit. The woman asked her husband, What should I do? Which side should I park on? Her husband replied, Why not just leave it in the garage tonight?"

Mods, delete if you must! No harm is intended, just a chuckle.

ZaggyG
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
What!!!!!???!!!!! What kind of a Communist organization is this!!!???!!! That does it!!! The univeristy will no longer be receiving my generous annual donations if it no longer provides trays to its student body for meal times!!!

Did they resort to brown paper bags?

I don't know! Someone suggested trying a laundry basket as a sled...might have to try that.

We get brown paper bags for 'to-go' lunches, but other than that we just carry the plates themselves.

awberke
01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't know! Someone suggested trying a laundry basket as a sled...might have to try that.

We get brown paper bags for 'to-go' lunches, but other than that we just carry the plates themselves.

Ya they got rid of trays like 4 years ago, saves on water i guess. We're educated people, i'm sure we can foster some ingenuity.