PDA

View Full Version : Whitley article: No More Storming The Court

CDC84
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-01-18/time-for-storming-the-court-at-college-games-to-end

And the idiocy is getting worse. Roy Williams sent his North Carolina team to the locker room before Florida State fans could storm the floor last Saturday. Well, he unknowingly left his scrubs out there for the final 14 seconds.

All of them survived, though itís just a matter of time until something really ugly happens. Jared Sullinger said a Wisconsin fan spit on him last season in the celebration after the Badgers upset Ohio State.

A few players have been caught on video swinging at fans, and vice versa. Itís just a matter of time until we have Malice at the Palace, college edition.

The original Ron Artest brawl in the NBA in 2004 prompted the SEC to crack down. South Carolina promptly upset Kentucky and fans stormed the court. The school was fined $5,000.

The scenario repeated itself in 2010 and the Gamecocks were fined $25,000. Students started going up to the athletic director and giving him $1 bills for the cause.

awberke
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I just realized Roy Williams is claiming he didn't know he left players on the court. How is that possible? What coach leaves the game with time on the clock with zero players on the court?

And btw, i totally agree with the fines for storming the court. Fans will stop doing it after a message from their school asking that they not.

CDC84
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
What would reduce the amount of storming incidents is Sportscenter not showing them. Some schools are happy to write out a check in exchange for the Sportscenter publicity.

You don't see as many fans run out on to the football or baseball field in the middle of a game ever since TV decided to turn the cameras away.

hooter73
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Well when its the only decent game you win all year... WSU, SMC

I would be just fine never seeing another court stormed, take it to the parking lot and flip over cars like the NFL fans do.

CDC84
01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-01-19/starting-5-unwrapping-the-indiana-uconn-enigmas

5. Is it us, or is this rushing-the-court thing out of control?

DeCourcy: The people who defend court-rushing claim their support is based on “kids being kids” or its importance to the fabric of the college experience. And yet the fans at Rupp Arena don’t rush the court, nor at Cameron Indoor Stadium, nor at Allen Fieldhouse. These might be the three greatest venues in college basketball, and yet they somehow subsist without fans invading the field of play following big victories.

Watch tape of Jodie Meeks’ dramatic game-winning jumper against Florida from 2009. He hit an off-balance 3-pointer over a close defender and won the game for Kentucky in a season when bright moments were few. And yet who is on the court when the final buzzer sounds? The players, the coaches, the officials before they sprint to the locker room.

Florida State’s court-rush on Saturday when the Seminoles beat North Carolina by 33 was as choreographed as a flash mob. There was no spontaneous emotion there. FSU's win had been assured for half an hour. And indeed, the court-rush is genuinely dangerous for the opposing team. Roy Williams said he had a manager injured in a court-storming at Las Vegas earlier this season. When I was covering Cincinnati in the late 1990s, an older gentleman who traveled with the Bearcats received a separated shoulder when one team’s fans climbed over the UC bench to celebrate.

Let’s say this weekend the Patriots and 49ers earn their way into the Super Bowl. That’s a little bit bigger deal than a regular-season win over Carolina. But where would we expect the roughly 140,000 fans of those teams to celebrate such an occasion? In the seats they paid for, where stadium security surely will allow them to linger in the moment for as long as they wish.

awberke
01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I liked the ESPN article with the rules about when you can storm the court. I can't remember who wrote it.

ZagsGoZags
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM
the sure cure to stop it is

automatic loss for the team whose fans stormed

no more storming courts would be the result

adoptedzag
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
i would be just fine never seeing another court stormed, take it to the parking lot and flip over cars like the nfl fans do.

rofl!

bullzag23
01-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I liked the ESPN article with the rules about when you can storm the court. I can't remember who wrote it.

I believe it was Bilas, but can't say for sure

awberke
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I believe it was Bilas, but can't say for sure

I don't think so.

Edit: Rick Reilly