PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Lloyd on radio with Hudson tonight

gamagin
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
7-8 p.m., 1510 spokane.

Did anyone listen to it ? I only heard a couple minutes as I was enroute to a basketball game.

One Tommy utterance sticks w/me, however. Re: SMC, paraphrasing:
"You don't tiptoe into a street fight. Yet that's what we did. They showed up to fight and never stopped"

He went on to say Delli is as good, wily and strong a p.g. as there is in the nation and showed it versus us. He added that we were on our heels and mostly stayed there even though SMC didn't throw anything new at us.

Paraphrasing further: "It was just that we couldn't seem to get it together" while this SMC team, to quote their coach Bennett, "played perhaps their best ever 40 minutes of basketball."

The rest was about that, LMU and what we are going to do to prepare for the upcoming games. But that's all I heard as I arrived at my game.

Since it was on the Spokane radio AND there were GU fans at a local Pizza Joint (Tomato brothers), who were asked to present questions during the hour, I'm assuming "someone" who follows the GUB was there.

Perhaps one or more could fill in the many gaps I have left here. It seemed like a good program and was about to get more interesting when I had to stop listening.

So how about it, ladies and gemmin ? What else happened ?

DixieZag
01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Didn't hear it, but thanks for the update gamagin, good to hear the coaches perspective, hopefully it will be just a little different when they come up here.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
thanks gamagin.

not that I look to disagree with the coaching staff, which I don't do, but would say there was one new wrinkle from SMC though: Delly now is the one running the top of the key screen/roll incessantly, with Holt getting his turns too. Others have done it well there already, but his talents with it are a little different than McConnell's pullup/passing game from 30 feet in, or Mills' havoc creating hyperdrives thru the paint. I expect GU will adjust nicely in Spokane.

BobZag
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I expect GU will adjust nicely in Spokane.

The staff had games and games on DVDs to scout for a week for Game #1 and it didn't help.

Therunner
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
thanks gamagin.

not that I look to disagree with the coaching staff, which I don't do, but would say there was one new wrinkle from SMC though: Delly now is the one running the top of the key screen/roll incessantly, with Holt getting his turns too. Others have done it well there already, but his talents with it are a little different than McConnell's pullup/passing game from 30 feet in, or Mills' havoc creating hyperdrives thru the paint. I expect GU will adjust nicely in Spokane.

sounds crazy, yet I'm a proponent of GU going with double-team or face-guard on Delly as they did with Drew Viney last wkend. He's the ONE guy tearing us apart year after year -- even when Mickey had a big game we still nearly won or held him in check during losses. The REAL zag killer has always been Delly. When he has a great game, we lose badly. I say front him with Gary Bell and/or throw Keita on him. He seemed a bit too aggressive/tall for GBJ on several instances, yet Keita is just as tall/long and could be a force as well. I trust our guys extended their defense to Steindl & Holt (let Holt get his if need be as we did with Ashley Hamilton since we were face-guarding Viney). It paid off in the end. I also believe Elias has defend Jones pretty well & Sacre, when he actually shows up, can guard Waldow or Walker II.

We need to HOUND Delly as Gray hounded him for the past 3 yrs. Sure, Gray nearly fouled out every game, yet he was tough, aggressive, and got up in Delly's grill all game long. It also worked. We barely touched the guy last Thurs night. GBJ got schooled and no one else was given a chance. Baylor defended him well and realized he's the key to their team success. In all of SMC's losses, the opposition allowed Jones to get his while shutting down Delly for the most part. As many have already stated, the Coaches as well as the Players had their worst game of the year at the wrong time.

gamagin
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
sounds crazy, yet I'm a proponent of GU going with double-team or face-guard on Delly as they did with Drew Viney last wkend. He's the ONE guy tearing us apart year after year -- even when Mickey had a big game we still nearly won or held him in check during losses. The REAL zag killer has always been Delly. When he has a great game, we lose badly. I say front him with Gary Bell and/or throw Keita on him. He seemed a bit too aggressive/tall for GBJ on several instances, yet Keita is just as tall/long and could be a force as well. I trust our guys extended their defense to Steindl & Holt (let Holt get his if need be as we did with Ashley Hamilton since we were face-guarding Viney). It paid off in the end. I also believe Elias has defend Jones pretty well & Sacre, when he actually shows up, can guard Waldow or Walker II.

We need to HOUND Delly as Gray hounded him for the past 3 yrs. Sure, Gray nearly fouled out every game, yet he was tough, aggressive, and got up in Delly's grill all game long. It also worked. We barely touched the guy last Thurs night. GBJ got schooled and no one else was given a chance. Baylor defended him well and realized he's the key to their team success. In all of SMC's losses, the opposition allowed Jones to get his while shutting down Delly for the most part. As many have already stated, the Coaches as well as the Players had their worst game of the year at the wrong time.

plus, if we double him and change those guarding him, we'd still have plenty of fouls left for our starters. Bell was nonplussed many times.

I doubt he will be again, but even at that, getting some others to soften/harass Delli and still play aggressively would seem like the smart way to try and wear him out or slow him down. Plus full court pressing with our platoons, too, imo,

BMAN
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Therunner

Baylor did shut down Deli (only 9 points) but he had 20 points in the loss to Denver. Jones had 14 against Baylor and 21 against Denver. If you watched those games they were able to stop Deli from penetrating and setting up the other guys. Even though Deli and Jones together got 41 agains Denver (more than against us) the team only scored 59. ( 58 against Baylor). I think the key is to stop the pick and roll and the penetration. Deli can get his as long as he does not penetrate and create easy baskets for the other guys.

Baseline
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I mentioned this on another thread and will repeat it here. I think SMC could run the table on the conference. If we want to keep the string alive we need to do the same, beat SMC and lose no other games, that determines who wins the conference.

UKWildcatsFan
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I didn't get a chance to listen to it.

GoZags
01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I mentioned this on another thread and will repeat it here. I think SMC could run the table on the conference. If we want to keep the string alive we need to do the same, beat SMC and lose no other games, that determines who wins the conference.

Yes, they could.

However, in '10 they ran the Zags out of Orleans Arena (won by 19) and the next year, with WCC POY Mickey McConnell they lost 2 out of 3 to the Zags. They also (with the POY) blew a 3 game WCC lead on Gonzaga.

This season -- they ran the Zags out of McKeon (won by 21). There is one (and maybe 2) games left between GU and SMC.

So yes -- it's true. SMC "could" run the table. So could the Zags. It's certainly not a sure thing -- particularly with the BYU factor.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
The staff had games and games on DVDs to scout for a week for Game #1 and it didn't help.

good point, no it didn't.

perhaps they thought certain answers were in the quiver that weren't, at least for that specific encounter they weren't. I don't know.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2012, 04:21 PM

some of the time, wonder how it'd go with Gary on Holt, Hart/MK/Edi on Delly, Kevin gets Page or Stindl. Stindl's bigger but still a perimeter guy and he's not going to screen/roll so much or drive; if they post him it takes them away from what they want to do anyway, and maybe into help defense making him a passer? MC played that screen roll pretty well too. Just so Gary doesn't have to take every pick seemingly every time checking him

one thing we saw is Gary defended the block well when they tried to post Delly down there.

DixieZag
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Just with my "eyeball" test, I have watched SMC against BYU, us and Baylor and there is no question in my mind that SMC does not have the energy in the neutral site game against Baylor that they did against BYU and GU.

It is possible that they will run the table, but I think that they have yet to really be tested on the road, I will be interested in seeing how they play at BYU, LMU, etc. If they are winning on the road, and winning convincingly, then I will really start to worry.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Personally, I think having all that film doesn't help too much when the team you're scouting doesn't play anyone who challenges them. Bennett had film of us against Illinois, MSU, and some other teams that are somewhat relevant like Butler, ND, ORU, etc., the only games SMC had played that were really worth scouting were Baylor and Denver. I think it has us a little unprepared for them every year, because they can save wrinkles just for the Gonzaga game, whereas we are usually forced to play all of our cards and completely expose ourselves through a tough OOC sched.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
watching all the game tape you want didnt prepare GBJ for what he faced at SMC...he now has a taste of the "atmospher and tactics" that Delli provides...

I cannot emphasize enough how incredible raucious the crowd was. it was COMPLETELY FILLED and screaming and yelling even during the pre-game shoot around 1 hour and 15 minutes BEFORE TIP OFF. They were ranting on GBJ the entire 30 minutes of the pre pre game shoot around.

Then GBJ had to face the tactics that Delli uses-elbows, slap of the hands, dip fo the shoulders

These can now be corrected as GBJ had his taste of this and will be better for it.

One thing I DONT think the team adjusted to was the ball reversal off the high pick and roll and the off side player ATTACKING the basket of the dribble...we didnt see that from SMC in the past (they rather sit out and shoot) but it was APPARENT this was the game plan from the get go and we did not adjust to that strategy very well

gonwick
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Few said on the mark few show before the smc game that he hadn't seen much tape on them this year, then said (to the best of my recollection) that he knew what they'd run, ball screens, etc. Not sure if he was being flip, but it struck me as honest at the time and if true, foolhardy in retrospect. I wonder if they get to the place where they assume they know the wcc teams so well that they overlook things, or people like waldow.

MickMick
01-18-2012, 08:41 PM
You expect to beat Waldow heading in to that game. The Zags frontcourt was suppose to be a strength.

Remember?

As a coach, you count on them to win that matchup. You don't expect a frosh to whip your upperclassmen.

zagademic
01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Mouthguard had his game at home when he knew he could, not in the Kennel, where it will be crazy. And next year our freshmen won't be freshmen - they will, let's hope, be very difficult to beat to say the least.

SWZag
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM

I don't know BZ. Maybe the DVD scouting kept us from being blown out even worse. Just because they watched video after video and they lose doesn't mean they didn't help. Maybe SMC is just that good.

Lets turn the tables in Spokane.

SWZag

Reborn
01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
An interesting thread. Not too much on the interview by Hudson.

I don't think the key to our success this year is to put all of our focus on Mary's right now. There are teams that can beat both Gonzaga and St. Mary's. I believe that both teams had better get prepared for each and every game. Road games this year will be really hard. St. Mary's has played mostly at home. They went to San Diego and had a really rough time there. One reason that they play so well at home is that that is where most of their games have been played.

I truly believe that the Zags will be better on the road than St. Mary's will be. Thats my prediction. The Zags have been better prepared to play on the road. I feel the same way about BYU that I feel about St Mary's. St Mary's will be making a trip to BYU a week from Saturday.