PDA

View Full Version : Zag recruits at the MLK

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Tried to make it for the 9 AM matchup btw Lincoln of Tacoma w/ Treshaun Lexing and Lake Washington w/ Darien Nelson Henry. The mules were balky about pulling the sled into the city through the white stuff, and the ice was cracking during the crossing of the lake, but I caught the last 13 minutes of the game.

Lake Wa upset 4th ranked Lincoln 68-58 behind Nelson-Henry's 35 points, 15 boards, 4 blocks, 3 assts. He has slimmed down since I saw him 2 years ago, and gained the aggressiveness and assertiveness in the post he lacked 2 years ago. Still slow footed and lumbering, but so were JP Batista, Samhan, Bryant. Conditioning maybe an issue, as he's slow to get back on D. But hands like Ryan Spangler, and he passes the ball from the post like Bill Walton or Kevin Love, or at least he does at the HS level. Drops dimes to cutters from the mid-post area like a pg. And though he doesn't get up very high, he blocks shots by much more athletic players with his excellent timing and anticipation.

A lot to say about a guy not offered and going to Penn, but I was really impressed yesterday. A lot of guesswork/projecting with guys like him, but after the game I felt like the staff whiffed on this one. Unless they get Karnowski, who sounds very similar and is a bit bigger.

Lexing was very, very good as well. 23 pts, 7 boards, 6 assts. Smooth, athletic 6-6 lefty, could add a little strength but only a junior. Brought the ball up v. pressure despite being the biggest guy on court for Lincoln, swished a good looking 3 in the little bit I saw. Excellent passer for a wing; at one point he was double teamed in the corner, jumped and threw a crosscourt pass to the only open teammate outside the arc at the opposite hash. Really good vision and awareness.

Hard to get a handle on him as a defender yest., because he was guarding DNH in the post, giving up 5" and problably 50 lbs or more, and DNH scored at will, since they couldn't double him because of his passing. Has the size and athleticism to be an excellent wing defender, though.

And then there's Zach Lavine, who left me in awe. 27 pts, 11 reb, 5 assts in a 71-70 upset of Jefferson of Portland, home of Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross and perennially the top 5a team in Oregon. Bothell ended the game on an 11-0 run, including a 3 pt play by Zach when he banked in a floater, keeping his balance while getting fouled pretty hard. Bothell scored again to make it 70-68 w/ 45 sec left. Jefferson ran the shot clock out and threw up a prayer at the buzzer; Lavine got the ball with 8 seconds left. He dribbled up the left side, pulled up on the wing, and rose over 2 defenders to hit the game winning 3 with 1.9 left. A play AA's make.

This was the best competition I've seen him against, and he played his best game, especially on the boards. He makes it look so effortless I could see people questioning his intensity, like they have w/ Dower and Austin Daye. To me that's not an issue, more a matter of perception, and the results speak for themselves.

He scores a lot, but is really unselfish. Bell was similar last year in that regard, both playing on teams with one other scorer. Yesterday, probably half a dozen times, ZL penetrated to the foul line, drew a double team, and kicked it out to the wing or corner when he had a pretty good quality shot for himself.

As to why Bothell is losing a bunch- they don't seem well coached, especially on interior defense, and give up a lot of layups.

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I've always liked Sekou Wiggs of O'Dea. Not sure who's pursuing him now, but the USF assistant (Lee) seemed pretty attentive during the O'Dea/Franklin game.

BobZag
01-17-2012, 01:59 PM
If I'm Few, I make Lavine top priority like he did with Bell and Bouldin.

cjm720
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
If I'm Few, I make Lavine top priority like he did with Bell and Bouldin.

An early commitment is key. He'll be able to go anywhere he wants soon.

BobZag
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Odds are long, imo, but Few really has to try for this kid. I hear he is. Good.

I can't fault anybody who chooses an Ivy League school or Stanford, etc., so I am fine with DNH to Penn.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Odds are long, imo, but Few really has to try for this kid. I hear he is. Good.

I can't fault anybody who chooses an Ivy League school or Stanford, etc., so I am fine with DNH to Penn.

But wasn't DNH here this summer, and we let him go?

Not that I have a problem with that.

Go ZAGS!

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I've always liked Sekou Wiggs of O'Dea. Not sure who's pursuing him now, but the USF assistant (Lee) seemed pretty attentive during the O'Dea/Franklin game.

Some O'Dea people were sitting in front of us, and one of them said Wiggs' father told him Wiggs was leaning toward USF.

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 04:03 PM
An early commitment is key. He'll be able to go anywhere he wants soon.

IMO he's exactly the kind of pg the evil one at Kentucky looks for. A long shot, but you never know.

BobZag
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Go ZAGS!

This past summer or the summer before, yes he was. The staff evaluated him for a week (team camp + elite camp) and decided to pass. I think it was two summers ago. But it sounds like he is about elite education anyway, so perhaps it would've been Penn in the end, regardless. Good for him.

I wonder if Bothell will be at team camp? Hmmmm. :)

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Go ZAGS!

He certainly has weaknesses that make that understandable, but a huge upside that it seems he's starting to tap. And Karnowski is probably better. Gonna be interesting to follow him at Penn. The big five isn't what it was in its heyday, but Philly is still crazy for basketball and he should have a great experience there, at least once he gets over the culture shock.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Lexing was very, very good as well. 23 pts, 7 boards, 6 assts. Smooth, athletic 6-6 lefty, could add a little strength but only a junior.

Thanx for the update, MGK. Id forgotten about Lexing. (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=36268&highlight=lexing)

Although GL-E has not yet filled the role Id hoped, do you think this young man could walk right in a fill that void?

Go ZAGS!

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanx for the update, MGK. Id forgotten about Lexing. (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=36268&highlight=lexing)

Although GL-E has not yet filled the role Id hoped, do you think this young man could walk right in a fill that void?

Go ZAGS!

He's 2 years away, only a jr. Hopefully Dranginis fills the void at the 3 next yr offensively, and Della Valle if GU is lucky enough.

Lexing has a nice offensive game, not yet at the level GBJ was in hs yet imo, but I'd guess he has better overall offensive potential than any of the current GU 3's. But a few yrs away from being a major contributor on the offensive end, maybe as a soph would be my guess. Lots of potential though.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Hopefully Dranginis fills the void at the 3 next yr offensively...

I agree that KD (Knock Down), with a few extra pounds, might have the Ammo we're missing at the three right now. It's a big time hole.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
It's a big time hole.

Go ZAGS!

How is it the Zags always have a hole somewhere? Goodson the last two years at the 1, and now production-less at the 3.

Weird.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
How is it the Zags always have a hole somewhere?

Yeah, but maybe the hole keeps gettin' smaller.

Go ZAGS!

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I agree that KD (Knock Down), with a few extra pounds, might have the Ammo we're missing at the three right now. It's a big time hole.

Go ZAGS!

Nice pun