PDA

View Full Version : Track and Field News - New School Records

former1dog
01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627494&SPID=90837&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205361230&DB_OEM_ID=26400

In the one mile run, redshirt junior Lindsey Drake finished eighth, both overall and in Section 3, in 4:59.30 to set the school record, including both outdoor and indoor competition.

On the men's side, Junior Tate Kelly also set a school record with a time of 8:32.48, placing 13th overall and fourth in Section 3. His time bested Pat Hill's record of 8:34.30 which he set in 1991.

A personal congratulations to Mr. Tate on his fine run.

And a big shout out to one of my very best friends, Mr. Patrick Hill, who held the record for 21 years!! I remember the day very well when Pat set that record and how impressed I was with his effort. It was a blustery, cold day in Seattle at one of our first meets of the outdoor season that year. Pat took a risk and went with the leaders and just held on. I remember he ran 4:34 for his 1600m split and thinking to myself, Damn, I can hardly run faster than that when competing in the 1500m! I hope Pat is proud of how long that record stood. I know I'm proud of him.

sittingon50
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks F1. I saw the blurb in the Spokane paper about Lindsey's feat. Pretty impressive to break an outdoor record in an indoor race.

I assume the UW facility is a banked track. Do you know? What about the other indoor tracks on the NW circuit?

former1dog
01-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Sitting,

The UW indoor track is a relatively new and oversized (300m?) indoor track that has been the source of many very fast times in the last 3 or 4 years. It is not banked. Many consider it to be so fast because it is so much bigger than other indoor tracks.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Sitting,

The UW indoor track is a relatively new and oversized (300m?) indoor track that has been the source of many very fast times in the last 3 or 4 years. It is not banked. Many consider it to be so fast because it is so much bigger than other indoor tracks.

Just curious as I am not a runner.... Why would the size of the track matter indoors? Btw.. Very cool for both runners achieving those feats.

former1dog
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Just curious as I am not a runner.... Why would the size of the track matter indoors? Btw.. Very cool for both runners achieving those feats.

Smaller indoor tracks have tighter corners and that tends to slow you down. BTW, my original post short changed 2 other big achievements from that meet.

First, Robert Walgren, a redshirt freshman, ran 4:11.91 and now is the new owner of Gonzaga School record for the men's indoor mile.

Secondly, Emily Thomas ran 10:02.36 to take the Gonzaga record in the women's 3000m. Emily's record is significant for the fact that she broke Francesca Fairbanks record. Fairbanks, for those who don't know, is a Gonzaga legend who qualified as an individual for the NCAA Cross Country National Championships. To my knowledge, Fairbanks is the only Gonzaga runner to ever qualify for the national championships.

Angelo Roncalli
01-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Indoor tracks are slower because of the curves. Most runners have to slow down to negotiate the curves, especially if the track isn't banked. The runner is fighting centrifugal just to stay on course (and run the shortest distance). And, because the tracks are shorter, there are more curves.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
You'd think I never took physics in college... Sheesh... Obvious to me now. Thanks for jump start to my brain guys.

4:11... Wowser... I'd be happy with that time running a half mile. Very cool.

former1dog
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
You'd think I never took physics in college... Sheesh... Obvious to me now. Thanks for jump start to my brain guys.

4:11... Wowser... I'd be happy with that time running a half mile. Very cool.

4:11 is approximately 63 seconds per quarter mile pace. If anyone wants to have an appreciation of how fast that is, go out and try and run half way around your local high school track in 31.5 seconds. :D

LongIslandZagFan
01-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Some of my friends ran cross country in HS... I remember watching them when they were pulling down 4:45 times and thinking that they were running ridiculously fast.