PDA

View Full Version : Spangler out w/ injury

VinnyZag
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Tweet from Meehan:

Spangler out with broken pinky finger. might miss 3 weeks

hooter73
01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Dang this would have been a good stretch to get him some minutes. But if Rob can play (poorly) with a broken thumb, a pinky finger...

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2012, 10:48 AM
SNAP. Wonder if that happened in practice, or where it happened?

Hopefully it wasn't something like.....he broke it while playing "Call of Duty" on xbox. That would be MUCH less impressive than breaking it in practice.

GoGU
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
If someone broke their pinky playing Xbox, I would be impressed...for about 5 mins.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM
He was picking his nose in practice, on the sideline at the time, and a tipped pass by Landry lost almost no velocity before striking, and breaking, his exposed pinky finger.

*Note: Everything aside from the broken pinky hasn't been (and probably won't be) confirmed.

Hope he gets back soon he will help our cause a lot come March.

VinnyZag
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Spanger on Twitter:

“@ZagFan10: @Rspangler15 rumor has it your out 3 weeks is this true?” ya I have surgery today

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Spanger on Twitter:

3 weeks sounds pretty quick to return if surgery is taking place.

Then again....my only medical degree is in.......well....I don't have a medical degree, so maybe I shouldn't make any assumptions.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
SNAP. Wonder if that happened in practice, or where it happened?

Hopefully it wasn't something like.....he broke it while playing "Call of Duty" on xbox. That would be MUCH less impressive than breaking it in practice.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary and the glory lasts forever." I'm sure I slaughtered that quote, but you get the idea.

The point is that if he wants to get chicks, he should ask the doctor for a big scar. Big scars never helped me with the ladies, but I did try that a few times. Spangler's probably got more game than me and can probably turn a scar to his advantage. He might want to get some extra tattoos to go with it. I hear that girls like those, too.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Spanger on Twitter:

Which hand?

Go ZAGS!

kitzbuel
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
So chicks dig pinky scars?

awberke
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Dang this would have been a good stretch to get him some minutes. But if Rob can play (poorly) with a broken thumb, a pinky finger...

He didn't break his thumb, he dislocated it.

zag buddy
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I noticed last time he played he had his shoulder taped up.

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Chicks totally dig scars. I can attest to that. I outkicked my coverage by a LOT with Mrs. Woohoo, but I think it's for the following reasons:

1) At the time we met, I had just finished slicing off the tip of my left thumb in a work accident, so it was all bandaged up, and looked awesome.

2) I was driving a red Trans-Am with T-tops.

3) I was on the varsity basketball team.

As you can imagine, when she saw these 3 things all at once, she was HOOKED. She had no choice but to get with me.

ID ZAGFAN
01-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Chicks totally dig scars. I can attest to that. I outkicked my coverage by a LOT with Mrs. Woohoo, but I think it's for the following reasons:

1) At the time we met, I had just finished slicing off the tip of my left thumb in a work accident, so it was all bandaged up, and looked awesome.

As you can imagine, when she saw these 3 things all at once, she was HOOKED. She had no choice but to get with me.

How does an insurance agent slice the tip off his thumb--a really sharp letter opener?

:D

ZaGranny

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
How does an insurance agent slice the tip off his thumb--a really sharp letter opener?

:D

ZaGranny

No, someone was mad about their rates going up, and he cut it off with my own scizzors. :p

But no, actually, I was working at a local factory during the summer. For being 17 years old, it was a pretty good paying job. My friends were jealous. And then I cut part of my thumb off, and they weren't jealous anymore.

Zag79
01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
“@SRJimm: Spangler out with broken pinky finger. #might miss 3 weeks”

Get well big fella!

Oops, didn't see... Sorry mods!

FuManShoes
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Can someone with a gynecology certification or who's broken their leg or read a wikipedia entry on gout weigh in with how long it will take Spangler to recover from a broken pinky since that's the traditional board response to these things? Thanks, management.

gamagin
01-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Can someone with a gynecology certification or who's broken their leg or read a wikipedia entry on gout weigh in with how long it will take Spangler to recover from a broken pinky since that's the traditional board response to these things? Thanks, management.

this broken pinky is on his hand.

Zag4Hire
01-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Too good. :lmao:

I am more of a fan of the more involved speculation with a little appeal to authroity fallacy built-in myself. "Hey I used to play hoops at XYZ high school (2 times conference POY) and I suffered the same EXACT injury. He should be good in less time really because I remember being able to play in the conference championship after doing it twice in one season."

Robzagnut
01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Which hand?

Go ZAGS!

His rebounding hand.

Where's all the, "See.. he should have reshirted." comments? I expected at least a dozen when I saw the topic header.

Robzagnut
01-17-2012, 01:07 PM

I thought she dug you for your drawing/MS Paint skills?

zaguarxj
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I am more of a fan of the more involved speculation with a little appeal to authroity fallacy built-in myself. "Hey I used to play hoops at XYZ high school (2 times conference POY) and I suffered the same EXACT injury. He should be good in less time really because I remember being able to play in the conference championship after doing it twice in one season."

I'm waiting for a prognosis from WooHoo's dream-goat.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM

Spangler's got two out of three. Does anybody know if he drives a red Trans-Am?

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Robzagnut- Even though she didn't get WITH me for the MS Paint skills, I would bet you any amount of money that this is one of the main reasons she has STAYED. It's really important to have some sort of awesome skills.

Zaguarxj- I will let you know what the goat says after I dream of that scandalous punk tonight.

Martin Centre Mad Man- Even having 2 out of 3 of those will help Spangler. If he had all 3 (like I did), then he would have his pick of about 90% of the female population. With only having 2 out of 3, he can probably pick from about 50% of them. That's still pretty good odds.

DixieZag
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
This will impact some of our depth. It will be more and more important to not have our frontline get in foul trouble. I realize even when healthy he didn't see a lot of minutes this last weekend - but it is a big luxury to know we have him if big E and Sacre have foul trouble.

And, as mentioned above, there might well have been some games coming up to get him some real minutes.

Heal up Spangler. Be back for the big end of year match-ups against BYU and SMC.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
All joking aside, I wish this kid a speedy and full recovery. I wish that we'd have him for this upcoming stretch of games, because it would have been an excellent opportunity to get him some quality experience before the post-season. Our depth definitely took a hit with this news.

Zag 77
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM
He is on Patchin's radio show and says Spnagler got hurt in practice going for a rebound against Harris.

hooter73
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
He didn't break his thumb, he dislocated it.

Thank you for the clarification. :rolleyes:

The practices between the big guys are a dang blood sport.

IrishZagFan
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
His rebounding hand.

Where's all the, "See.. he should have reshirted." comments? I expected at least a dozen when I saw the topic header.

See....He should have redshirted..... :p

zaguarxj
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Ok, somebody has to post this, so it might as well be me. With Rob and Ryan hurting, it's time to burn KO's redshirt!!! ;)

raise the zag
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
This seriously hurts/diminishes our front court depth -- Spangler was beginning to see 6-10 mins per game in WCC play. This allowed Elias & Sacre extra few minutes of "breathing" room & time on & off the floor. We're down to just 3 BIGS up front, ouch. Elias & Rob are going to need to play more than 25mpg(as they've been doing lately) from here on out...

JPtheBeasta
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

LOL :] If he's anything like my patients his prognosis is narcotics chronically and SSI benefits for the rest of his life.

Birddog
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Spangler out with broken finger..

Noodlin"?

zag67
01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
This means that he would miss 5 games. The only bad game will be BYU down there. He should be back right before St Marys.

sittingon50
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Ronnie Lott had his pinkie amputated rather than miss a game.

Disclaimer: he may have gotten his advice from a different gynecologist.

MickMick
01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Tough luck. Hope it doesn't set him back too much. Hope the bigs can stay out of foul trouble.

OK-ZagFan
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
From what I hear, he had a couple of breaks and they ended up putting 2 screws in instead of just 1. I think the recovery process will be quick and hopefully we will have him back in 3 weeks.

VinnyZag
01-18-2012, 06:23 AM
From what I hear, he had a couple of breaks and they ended up putting 2 screws in instead of just 1. I think the recovery process will be quick and hopefully we will have him back in 3 weeks.

Ouch. Anytime "screws were inserted" is mentioned, it just sounds painful.

GU should be OK ... UNLESS there's another injury, or Sacre or Harris get into foul trouble. I bet Hart plays a lot of four in practice this week.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Well crap. Does this mean he can't do this evil villain pose, where he puts his pinkie up to the corner of his mouth, followed by a diabolical laugh??

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/thumbnail.jpg

Hoopaholic
01-18-2012, 06:57 AM
from a "half full" kinda guy.. other than the physical damage to his finger, this could provide a key recovery time for his legs....freshman generally hit a wall due to the increase in games, practice, stress, travel that they are not accustomed to . Spangler will get some leg rest and this could prove to be a huge advantage as we head into the stretch run as clearly he was garnering playing minutes that are critical to rest for Rob and Sam without adjusting the other rotations.

but on the flip side I dont like injuries to any of our players

DADoZAG
01-18-2012, 09:54 AM
from a "half full" kinda guy.. other than the physical damage to his finger, this could provide a key recovery time for his legs....

but on the flip side I dont like injuries to any of our players

Agreed on both accounts (might be a silver lining and don't like injuries).

The silver lining is dependant on which hand he's broken, which is why I asked yesterday.

Go ZAGS!

HillBillyZag
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong but I would think that Spangler is worth more than merely scrimmage "cannon fodder"?, he has'nt been seeing many monutes for a kid who works as hard as he does?I hope this injury does'nt set up back far enough or discourage him to the point that he considers the path that GG took under similar circumstances? I imagine Creighton would welcome Spangs with open arms too?

MDABE80
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Yes..screws are in. Lined up. 3 -4 weeks and he'll be as good as new. Book it';)

JPtheBeasta
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Agreed on both accounts (might be a silver lining and don't like injuries).

The silver lining is dependant on which hand he's broken, which is why I asked yesterday.

Go ZAGS!

Left hand, per the Meehan thread.

zag67
01-18-2012, 03:19 PM
That means he can still practice shooting around the rim and foul shots. We already know that he can rebound. Next will be improvement of defense. I still love what I see in his game and think that starting next year we will really see what he can do.

DixieZag
01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes..screws are in. Lined up. 3 -4 weeks and he'll be as good as new. Book it';)

Isn't it true that the smaller the muscles opened in surgery to repair the bone, the less pain afterwards and quicker recovery time? I have heard that the bigger the muscle that must be cut through to get to the bone, the more pain and time to recover from the surgery, as much as the underlying orthopedic problem, therefore a finger will take less time?

DADoZAG
01-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Left hand, per the Meehan thread.

Thanx, must have missed it.

Having the right hand in a cast would have given Ryan time to work on his left and going over his right shoulder.

However, since it's his left, my guess is he'll play sooner than 3 weeks (just judging from personal experience). Good thing, he might be needed Feb 2nd.

Go ZAGS!

Beat the Dons!

El Zag
01-20-2012, 01:53 AM
your free throws .

Mental Rehearsal & Visualization: The Secret to Improving Your Game Without Touching a Basketball!

- By Joe Haefner

Visualization is an often-taught mental rehearsal technique in sports. It is an extremely powerful tool and numerous studies have been done to test this. You may have heard of this basketball study or a different one with similar results.

A study conducted by Dr. Blaslotto at the University of Chicago was done where he split people into three groups and tested each group on how many free throws they could make.

After this, he had the first group practice free throws every day for an hour.

The second group just visualized themselves making free throws.

The third group did nothing.

After 30 days, he tested them again.

The first group improved by 24%.

The second group improved by 23% without touching a basketball!!!!

The third group did not improve which was expected.

Picture by Hape Gera
We're not condoning being lazy and not practicing. What we're trying to drive home is imagine what you could do if you implemented both practice and the mental rehearsal technique of visualization. The sky is the limit. You can apply this to all sports and if you do, it can do wonders for you and your team.

Tips on How to Use Visualization..

You need to involve Sight, Sound, and Feeling to really gain from the benefits of visualization.

Now, there are some important things to consider when visualizing. If you just picture yourself shooting free throws in third person as if it was a movie, you probably won't improve as much as you could.

You need to visualize everything out of your eyes (in the 1st person). You have to be there at the free throw line feeling the basketball. Seeing the goal. Hearing the noise.

As you shoot, you should FEEL the ball roll off your fingers. You should SEE the ball traveling through the air with perfect backspin. You should SEE your hands out in front of you with the perfect follow through. You should SEE your hands out in front of you holding the follow through as you HEAR & SEE the ball swish through the net.

Once, you do this, you're guaranteed to see results.

On a personal note...

We had decided to discuss the concept of visualization and the importance in doing so at practice one day. We told the players to go home and visualize themselves shooting 10 free throws before they go to bed. We had to forgot to mention to everybody to visualize every shot going through the hoop. The next day some of the players were telling us about it. Jokingly, we asked a few of the players, "So, how many did you make?" assuming of course that everybody made 10. A couple of the kids said I made 10. Then one of our players sheepishly raised his hand and said, "But coach… I only made 7." The funny thing about it is that he wasn't joking.

So, don't assume anything with your players. Explain everything.

Thomas_Sutpen
01-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Even though Spangler has played sparingly up to this point in the season, last night against USF showed us that we've got a thin front court without him. A couple of quick fouls, and things change dramatically. I believe I saw Hart defending the post a few times--not our best match-up.

Here's to a quick and full recovery for Mr. Spangler. We will most definitely need him in Feb/Mar/Apr.

gonstu
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
We will most definitely need him in Feb/Mar/Apr.

:clap::clap::clap:

JPtheBeasta
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanx, must have missed it.

Having the right hand in a cast would have given Ryan time to work on his left and going over his right shoulder.

However, since it's his left, my guess is he'll play sooner than 3 weeks (just judging from personal experience). Good thing, he might be needed Feb 2nd.

Go ZAGS!

Beat the Dons!

After yesterday's game, it looks like putting Dower's left hand in a cast for the reasons stated above seems like a good idea...

And if anyone breaks Dower's left pinky it wasn't me. I have an alibi.