PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs USF: Thoughts/Predictions

Reborn
01-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Let's keep the win streatk going.

Gonzaga 77
USF 63

It'll be nice to see the Zags play at home again, and finally play in front of their students. I'm tired of seeing K2 quiet. I'm looking forward to a roudy crowd, full of the noise and craziness in which The Kennel is known for. And I expect the Zags will be as excited as I am about it, and their performance will show their appreciation. The game against St. Mary's is always one of my favorite every year. They always give us a good fight. They have all their starters returning from last year, and as we remember they beat us @ their place.

I'm looking for Sam Dower to have a big game. There hasn't been much said about him on the board since the St. Mary's loss. He's going to rectify that. Now we get to turn our attention to Bell guarding Michael Williams, USF's point guard. It's always fun to watch Williams play. I see he only got 5 pts against St. Mary's; so Hult must have been guarding him.

I guess what I'm looking for the most in the game is to see if Gonzaga can get their offense going again. We've been in the 60's two straight games, and that just isn't GU offense in high gear to me. I'm hoping big Rob has a much better game offensively, and we see him back to his old self. Still hoping Elias keeps scoring 20 + points. He's our #1 go to guy now in my opinion.

aflac4life
01-17-2012, 07:10 AM
I think the Zags are a better team when they play at a faster pace, let 'em run, 10+ deep. Get all of them a good workout. Ride USF hard and put 'em away wet.

Prediction
Zags not winded
USF fighting for air.

Winning 2 opening tips in a row would be a good way to start, maybe a jam by EH to finsih it off will start the stampede

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Hard rebounding
Strong perimeter defense
Limited turnovers

Zags 81
Dons 63

gamagin
01-17-2012, 07:54 AM
they're going to work on offense. I expect to win and see a better, more cohesive, offensive effort. And positive signs of improvement.

EuroZag2010
01-17-2012, 07:55 AM
They gave us a game in the kennel last year, I think if I remember we beat them by 4.
But, I do believe that the zags win by double figures. I would like to see some in your face defense, fluid offense, a rowdy kennel and to top it off some dunks!!

The Mighty Zags 82
Wounded Dons 59

golfmania
01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Is it my imagination or have we lost the ability to shoot free throws and make layups as a team? I know our average is in the 65% range as a team(great teams shoot at least 70%):confused:, and i worry that when the game is on the line, we miss too many of them, and we also miss them when we are trying to build a lead and put our boots on their throats and put them away! Also the number of bunnies that alot of the players are missing? My god, we could be up big in the games. Hopefully the coaching staff is having them practice the fundamentals and everything is righted starting with this weeks games. Just an observation! Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!!

DixieZag
01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
First, I am worried about them even getting here. Over the course of today and tomorrow a major storm is coming into the NW - if they are flying into Seattle tomorrow (strong commercial possibility) the forecast is for 12-18 inches of snow, if they fly directly here (possible United SFO - GEG) then we are supposed to get 6" and "gusty winds" - - - so, I just want them to get here first and I wouldn't mind at all if they spent Wed. night at Sea-Tac and get in mid-day Thurs.

Then, I think they feel the full wrath of a GU team that is still stinging from the road loss to SMC but feeling better about itself by grinding at LMU. I think we have a close first half, but end up the first half up by 8. Then I think we wear them down and win going away with subs playing. Re-uniting with the kennel club will be a huge energy boost and propel them above 80 again.

GU- 83
USF - 64

2wiceright
01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I think GBJ has turned a corner offensively Saturday Night... If E keeps scoring 20 plus and teams have to gameplan for Harris and Bell (as well as Sacre getting back to form), it's going to be next to impossible to stop everyone, including and especially hot hands by Dower and Pangos.

GU- 85
USF-65

P.S. I'm almost scared if Bell keeps getting it on offense as much as he has on defense (though it'd a blast to watch) as I want all our frosh to stay all four years. Bell, especially has a very high ceiling! Go Zags!!! ;)

bartruff1
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Sacre needs to get his butt in gear or Few needs to sit it next to him... hey just my uninformed opinion...he had 16 points and 7 rebounds against Michigan State, he needs to play at that level for us to continue to March

TheGonzagaFactor
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
I think GBJ has turned a corner offensively Saturday Night... If E keeps scoring 20 plus and teams have to gameplan for Harris and Bell (as well as Sacre getting back to form), it's going to be next to impossible to stop everyone, including and especially hot hands by Dower and Pangos.

Agreed. Bell is looking less timid offensively every game, which is going to take us to another level as soon as Rob gets back to form.

I also think we need to commit to a tandem of Landry/MK/MM at the SF to improve even more, but that's another story.

BULLDOG#1
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd give Keita a really long look.

There's too much ball hand-offs at the top of the key as Stocks, Pangos, Bell, and/or Carter and Hart weave around not looking to attack or score.. It's stagnant and serves as only facilitating an offense, not running it to score.

The wing zags need to catch the ball in a position to score and look to attack. They haven't lately because the opponents have chested up on Bell and Pangos and layed off Carter and Hart. Both strategies work at helping to deny the entry pass (where quite often sam and rob have players sealed) and deny Pangos getting open looks.

Keita came into the LMU game in attack mode and got the defense on it's heels. It changed the game, really. If Carter or Edi or Hart can't do this... you gotta roll with Keita. I hope to see more of this on thursday.

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
The last time USF won in Spokane...

George Herbert Walker Bush had just been inaugurated as president.

Guy Landry Edi was 6 weeks old.

Seton Hall made it to the MBB national championship game (at the Kingdome).

77Zag
01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Zags by 16 --

Dons - 60
Zags - 76

Go Zags!!

rennis
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm looking for Sam Dower to have a big game. There hasn't been much said about him on the board since the St. Mary's loss.

Sam is the X-Factor for this team, in my opinion. Not sure what's up with the kid, but the SMC game seemed to rattle him.

Rob is the stabilizing force that has been missing lately.

If both return to form, we're in fine shape to win a whole lot of games over the next 7 weeks, maybe beyond.

Just win baby!

bballbeachbum
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
should be an awesome atmosphere Thursday night, with Kevin calling on the students just sweetening the deal even more

USF looks to post big Blackwell, and they screen/roll with him and Dooling, and others. Good test because they know they can beat the Zags...just not in Spokane.

I hope we just smother their guards from jump, and Rob has a game where he really shows up Big

maynard g krebs
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm almost scared if Bell keeps getting it on offense as much as he has on defense (though it'd a blast to watch) as I want all our frosh to stay all four years. Bell, especially has a very high ceiling! Go Zags!!! ;)

There's no if, just when. There has been no better high school scorer, both in terms of points scored and efficiency, in the state in the decade and a half that I've been watching. That includes all the NBA guys. 28 ppg, 56% (I think) fg's, 44% 3's. And playing as an undersized 2, to be a 1st round pick by his jr year, he'd have to have had a spectacular year and probably led the team to a deep tourney run.

If he gets good enough to go early, we'll probably all be very happy with the results. 2014, with Dower/ Olynyk/Stockton as seniors, Bell/Pangos/Spangler as jrs, Dranginis as rs soph plus whoever is added by then looks like the best Zag team ever.

Zags 81
USF 64

RenoZag
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
The last time USF won in Spokane...

George Herbert Walker Bush had just been inaugurated as president.

Guy Landry Edi was 6 weeks old.

Seton Hall made it to the MBB national championship game (at the Kingdome).

So they're overdue . . .

;)

MDABE80
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Zags by 30. No worries. I do agree that Rob needs to re-emerge.
I also liked Keita last game. His defense is tenacious. He's got better scoring tools than we've seen. Few needs to give him minutes. Never seen such a hard working enthusiatic kid.

Bells gets 15 and Pangos gets 20.

pbriz
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
GUBoards: 77
DonsCentral: 71

Baseline
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Zags 74 USF 68

I think Bell holds Williams down and prevents the spread the floor dribble drive from destroying us. It will still be relatively close as there center is underrated and will cause our big's some problems. It will be a good game, the one at their house is the one I worry about.

Therunner
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
We'll be fine.

While Rex Walters has our # in San Fran, we've pwned him in Spoke.

Zags w/o thumbs or pinkies - 75
Dons w/ all their fingers in tact - 65

Ekrub
01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
First, I am worried about them even getting here. Over the course of today and tomorrow a major storm is coming into the NW - if they are flying into Seattle tomorrow (strong commercial possibility) the forecast is for 12-18 inches of snow, if they fly directly here (possible United SFO - GEG) then we are supposed to get 6" and "gusty winds" - - - so, I just want them to get here first and I wouldn't mind at all if they spent Wed. night at Sea-Tac and get in mid-day Thurs.

Then, I think they feel the full wrath of a GU team that is still stinging from the road loss to SMC but feeling better about itself by grinding at LMU. I think we have a close first half, but end up the first half up by 8. Then I think we wear them down and win going away with subs playing. Re-uniting with the kennel club will be a huge energy boost and propel them above 80 again.

GU- 83
USF - 64

My wife is on a Southwest flight with them (as I type this). Stanford is also on the flight. I'm trying to get her to yell go zags but she is too afraid as she works at southwest. She's a wuss ;)

adoptedzag
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I will gladly give you five whole american dollars if she yells that and records it with her cell phone :)

Ekrub
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I will gladly give you five whole american dollars if she yells that and records it with her cell phone :)

Well I talked her into it (or so she says) but didn't think to tell her to record it. She's flying now so I can't tell her to record. I pick her up at 8 so if I see them at the airport I'll be sure to record it. Anybody have any requests other than a go zags scream if I see them?

FlyZag
01-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Anybody have any requests other than a go zags scream if I see them?

Hmmmm, Tanya Harding comes to... oh nevermind.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Since anytime the Zags face adversity we get the chorus of how much Sacre stinks, how bad the coaching is, how the team has no energy, how Hart starting is the cause of the loss...

So...

Dons 125
Zags 45

GoZags
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Since anytime the Zags face adversity we get the chorus of how much Sacre stinks, how bad the coaching is, how the team has no energy, how Hart starting is the cause of the loss...

So...

Dons 125
Zags 45

This.

MDABE80
01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh ....oh....do I wish.....
Of all our WCC teams, this is one I'd like to embarrass BAD.

Ekrub
01-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, I got a drive by "go zags" on film, unfortunately they were on the bus, and when three of the guys heard me I realized I yelled it at the Stanford team. Is that $5 worthy? ;)

Reborn
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
This.

Come on GoZags! And you too LIZF! The criticisms of Sacre are justified. Even Few had a private talk with him. If you haven't seen him going backwards then I am surprised. We need him to play his best every game from here out. I get so surprised by posts like the one you just posted. What is so bad about criticisms, and especially when its warrented?

RenoZag
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Zags by 8 points.

MDABE80
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Sometimes all the criticisms are like dogs baying at the moon. Over and over and over!
We knows he doesn't jump well, or that his FT shooting is down, or that his hands aren't as soft as we like....and I suppose a few more things.
It doesn't matter. His hand gets better and he'll rejoin the fray as we all want. Not much else to criticize.......

Kiddwell
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Zags win by 1. Possibly more.

:]

Zag Man
01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
The Gonzaga/USF game is on ESPNU, but I don't have that channel on my cox cable network. Will anyone be streaming the game online? It would be much appreciated by this Zag fan.

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Come on GoZags! And you too LIZF! The criticisms of Sacre are justified. Even Few had a private talk with him. If you haven't seen him going backwards then I am surprised. We need him to play his best every game from here out. I get so surprised by posts like the one you just posted. What is so bad about criticisms, and especially when its warrented?

And I am disappointed by the complete lack of faith and support of Rob, the coach and for the most part the team after losing to good teams. 3 losses... that is what they have 3 losses and last I checked all three are currently in the top 25. If you read this board after the SMC game you'd think that they'd dropped to .500

raise the zag
01-19-2012, 04:25 AM
I was surprised & somewhat taken back at how fatigued certain players looked during this last road swing through Cali.

Coach Few has being doing a tremendous job of spreading minutes around since the start of WCC play and giving guys a rest and the last 2 games there was a lot of walking, jogging, deep breaths, hands on knees, etc.

Gonzaga had much more fight & focus vs LMU, yet after watching the replay, it was apparent they barely had any left in the tank in the last 3 minutes, save Elias Harris ONCE AGAIN. For example, our last 3 offensive possessions we literally walked back on defense and walked up on offense to set ourselves up for the play. The reason Elias was getting the ball was the fact he was the only one moving without it. Rob Sacre looked like a zombie in the final 5 mins. Not a criticism guys, just an observation.

Thank goodness for Pangos getting him the ball at the right time. Thank goodness for Keita playing with fresh legs and energy. Thank goodness for Elias unnatural ways of playing stronger as the year goes on.

We played extremely well, hard, and competed like no other year in this non-conf season, in my mind, especially late-December.

I don't believe the guys are as fatigued or winded as they looked or as much as Coach Few has mentioned in recent interviews, about guys not moving as well lately -- I honestly believe they just need a good "home cooked" meal prepared by the Kennel Club to inject life and energy into their last couple listless games. Even vs Santa Clara was only one half of good energy. The 1st half was slow, dull, and lifeless. It carried over to St Mary's.

btw, too much analyzing that game when very little is needed. You've seen this team play 17 games now. It wasn't that SMC was or played 'so amazing'. They were impressive no doubt, yet we weren't ready for a fight, not that night. We played nothing like we did vs 'Zona, Xavier, Notre Dame, Butler, etc. We came out in those games and defended our arses off from the tip, played on our toes, battled underneath the hoop no matter if we had the ball or not, and made decisive passes, and confident shots. No one did that at Moraga, except Pangos in the 1st half for a stretch and Elias in the 2nd. Rob was out of it and never once fought hard for position or defense. Hart was even taking a play off or two. Gary Bell tried, yet never stepped up to that environment and challenge. Pangos took his hand off the reigns when he wasn't getting any help. It was this game Coach Few should have turned to a "Keita" to change the tide, inject new life, fresh legs, and realized it later on vs LMU.

Tonight is about refreshing their souls, getting their minds right, pushing them to new heights as THIS is the most important stretch of games, not the ones on CBS or ESPN vs bigger names. This is what we're about. I think we wavered from this a bit and our mind wasn't right heading into SMC and it showed in a big way. The reason SMC scheduled the way it did, b/c they don't care about anything else but beating Gonzaga or winning the WCC. They've proven that the last 3 seasons and Randy Bennett may leave after he accomplishes it.

The Kennel Club will be good for all of us. In some ways, we need them back as much as the team does. It will help them focus, given the extra 10% needed to win conference games, and show them there is a long way to go and much more for this team to accomplish. A nice showing in OCC, a Top-25 ranking, and accolades for our young guns isn't enough for Gonzaga. I think Elias is leading by example and tonight will be no different.

Zags by 10.

Reborn
01-19-2012, 05:15 AM
I enjoyed reading your post RAISETHEZAG I have really noticed Rob getting tired too. The funny thing about it is that he never plays a full game. Like some have wondered, I too wonder if he's been sick.

Thanks for answering LIZF. I have never understood the thinking that criticism is "bad." I guess I was raised in environment where it was part of the deal, and that I understood it was given to help me learn. It's called constructive feedback. lol

McZag
01-19-2012, 06:43 AM
The home rule in the WCC gets solidified tonight. This is one one of the WCC teams that beat us last year and that loss should still sting our guys.

We have tough home games ahead: SMC, BYU, and this one USF. The home rule begins tonight.

Zags 78
Dons 65

U Zig, I Zag
01-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Is it my imagination or have we lost the ability to shoot free throws and make layups as a team?

In my opinion this is the worst 'fastbreak' transition team I have seen at GU in 10 years. We have 3 on 2, 2 on 1, etc we still can't finish a lot of the time. Getting to the line is success, but we seem to do it because someone just bowls into a defender. Carter specifically - I pretty much hold my breath if he enters the key with the ball. Hasn't ended all that well lately. In part this might be because two of the key ball handlers are freshman. On a break nobody seems to know where the other guy is - no passes to the trailing players (usually #3 guard or E). Last couple games should some improvement with good passing early on a break and then the second pass coming when the other offensive player is the only one with access to the ball and a clear lane.

Someone else suggested playing 10 deep and running. I tend to agree - see if we can start making transition buckets and put USF on their heels early.

U Zig, I Zag
01-19-2012, 07:01 AM
I enjoyed reading your post RAISETHEZAG I have really noticed Rob getting tired too. The funny thing about it is that he never plays a full game. Like some have wondered, I too wonder if he's been sick.

Thanks for answering LIZF. I have never understood the thinking that criticism is "bad." I guess I was raised in environment where it was part of the deal, and that I understood it was given to help me learn. It's called constructive feedback. lol

+1. Good stuff, Raise.

adoptedzag
01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
You know, I would love to see us break 100 over USF's collective bottoms.

We need a "statement" game to the league to let them know that we are still the kings of the conference. To let them know that the blood they smelled in the water at SMC was merely a slight slip.

stevet75
01-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm a gambler, and this year I have made good money betting AGAINST how I feel a game will go (about $16). I have a co-worker who is also a high roller that will usually lay down a bet with me. However, this game I truly feel the Zags are going to win, and I also intend to bet up to $5 to on that outcome, if I can get my co-worker to bet over the $2 mark.

Zags by 15...20 if Rob is back to normal.

cjm720
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
+1. Good stuff, Raise.

Ditto.

The fact that SF put up 100+ in their last outing has me a bit guarded...not necessarily too worried since we're at home. If we stay focused, we win by 15+.

bartruff1
01-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Sometimes all the criticisms are like dogs baying at the moon. Over and over and over!
We knows he doesn't jump well, or that his FT shooting is down, or that his hands aren't as soft as we like....and I suppose a few more things.
It doesn't matter. His hand gets better and he'll rejoin the fray as we all want. Not much else to criticize....... I can accept a players limitations, it is his effort that concerns me....now...maybe he has a problem so I would keep that in mind...

DixieZag
01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Zags by 8 points.

I would take it. There is no way to have a "bad win" in conference. I will point out that if the Zags win by 8 there will be an overall feeling on the board that it was akin to a loss. Nothing more than blowouts by at least 20 satisfy a large portion of this board.

USF is always dangerous, they will lay an egg somewhere and then play like a top 25 team. GU is not good enough to take a single night off against anyone, when they work hard and play together they can beat all but about 10 teams in the country, if not they can be beaten. The good news, as our record shows, is that this team has the ability to rise against almost anyone and has an ability to put teams away better than some in the past.

Zag4Hire
01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
My wife is on a Southwest flight with them (as I type this). Stanford is also on the flight. I'm trying to get her to yell go zags but she is too afraid as she works at southwest. She's a wuss ;)

Hahaha too good. My best Zag story ever: Flying back at McCarron Intl the day after the inaugral Orleans Arena WCC championship game. I was decked out in my Zags gear and joyfully hungover in several ways over the GU thumping of SMC. Luck should have it that the SMC staff and team are flying back on my Southwest flight! I asked my wife if she needed anything from Starbuck's and asked her to sit near the team. I came back with a USA today and a delicious coffee. I sat with a smirk on my face and a priest with the team came over. He mentioned softly, "Now be nice' in a playful way. I replied, "Father, I don't have to say or do anything." He laughed and smiled. However, my presence wasn't well-received by multiple players. One of my friends who is on the SMC staff who wasn't there (he was taking a later flight) just shook his head when I told him.

Zag4Hire
01-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm a gambler, and this year I have made good money betting AGAINST how I feel a game will go (about $16). I have a co-worker who is also a high roller that will usually lay down a bet with me. However, this game I truly feel the Zags are going to win, and I also intend to bet up to $5 to on that outcome, if I can get my co-worker to bet over the $2 mark.

Zags by 15...20 if Rob is back to normal.

:lmao: Just picking out a few key phrases: good money, $16, also a high roller, $5. The fact you preface it with, "I'm a gambler" just makes it better.

DixieZag
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Hahaha too good. My best Zag story ever: Flying back at McCarron Intl the day after the inaugral Orleans Arena WCC championship game. I was decked out in my Zags gear and joyfully hungover in several ways over the GU thumping of SMC. Luck should have it that the SMC staff and team are flying back on my Southwest flight! I asked my wife if she needed anything from Starbuck's and asked her to sit near the team. I came back with a USA today and a delicious coffee. I sat with a smirk on my face and a priest with the team came over. He mentioned softly, "Now be nice' in a playful way. I replied, "Father, I don't have to say or do anything." He laughed and smiled. However, my presence wasn't well-received by multiple players. One of my friends who is on the SMC staff who wasn't there (he was taking a later flight) just shook his head when I told him.

Winners don't need to talk. Losers have no right.

Pretty sure USF wishes it was playing WSU and Stanford is thrilled that they don't have to play at GU.

BayAreaZag
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Attended both the SMC and LMU games but believe the Zags bounce back strong in this one.

Zags 81
USF 65

BULLDOG#1
01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Great story Dixiezag.

I think the zags need to do what the gloom and doomers on this board need to do: Get past last week. So SMC beat us up and we didn't look great in the win at LMU and Rob hasn't been playing well...

Many on this board were athletes, some on the college level... Can't you remember times during a season where there were just some let downs? It's natural and it happens every year to most teams. I'll be shocked if the Gaels don't have a let down or two the rest of the way.

We're spoiled as zag fans because we've dominated this conference for so many years and often we've done so by running the table or just losing one or two games. It create unreal expectations.

Coach Few knows all about these types of mid-season slumps and will adjust accordingly to re-energize the team. How the team responds will be shown the in next few weeks. I suspect we'll see a team with a renewed focus.

For the Sacre talk: Seriousely, Rob dominated in the early season and now after a few zombie-like games we're giving up on him? He'll be fine. The thumb probably bothers him and it's in his head a bit, but he'll snap out of it.

All will be forgotten if the zags beat up on SMC in the kennel and win the conference (still my optimistic opinion.).

bartruff1
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Really...that seems like a lot...

NotoriousZ
01-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Zags by 30. No worries. I do agree that Rob needs to re-emerge.
I also liked Keita last game. His defense is tenacious. He's got better scoring tools than we've seen. Few needs to give him minutes. Never seen such a hard working enthusiatic kid.

Bells gets 15 and Pangos gets 20.

+1.

Feels like a drubbing...much playing time for all in the second half.