Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs USF: Thoughts/Predictions

Let's keep the win streatk going.

Gonzaga 77
    USF 63

It'll be nice to see the Zags play at home again, and finally play in front of their students. I'm tired of seeing K2 quiet. I'm looking forward to a roudy crowd, full of the noise and craziness in which The Kennel is known for. And I expect the Zags will be as excited as I am about it, and their performance will show their appreciation. The game against St. Mary's is always one of my favorite every year. They always give us a good fight. They have all their starters returning from last year, and as we remember they beat us @ their place.

I'm looking for Sam Dower to have a big game. There hasn't been much said about him on the board since the St. Mary's loss. He's going to rectify that. Now we get to turn our attention to Bell guarding Michael Williams, USF's point guard. It's always fun to watch Williams play. I see he only got 5 pts against St. Mary's; so Hult must have been guarding him.

I guess what I'm looking for the most in the game is to see if Gonzaga can get their offense going again. We've been in the 60's two straight games, and that just isn't GU offense in high gear to me. I'm hoping big Rob has a much better game offensively, and we see him back to his old self. Still hoping Elias keeps scoring 20 + points. He's our #1 go to guy now in my opinion.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • aflac4life
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2011

Horses

I think the Zags are a better team when they play at a faster pace, let 'em run, 10+ deep. Get all of them a good workout. Ride USF hard and put 'em away wet.

Prediction
    Zags not winded
    USF fighting for air.

Winning 2 opening tips in a row would be a good way to start, maybe a jam by EH to finsih it off will start the stampede

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

Hard rebounding
      Strong perimeter defense
      Limited turnovers

Zags 81
      Dons 63
      What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

as Tommy Floyd said,

they're going to work on offense. I expect to win and see a better, more cohesive, offensive effort. And positive signs of improvement.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• EuroZag2010
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2010

They gave us a game in the kennel last year, I think if I remember we beat them by 4.
          But, I do believe that the zags win by double figures. I would like to see some in your face defense, fluid offense, a rowdy kennel and to top it off some dunks!!

The Mighty Zags 82
          Wounded Dons 59
          "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
          -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• golfmania
            Redshirt
            • Nov 2009

free throws

Is it my imagination or have we lost the ability to shoot free throws and make layups as a team? I know our average is in the 65% range as a team(great teams shoot at least 70%), and i worry that when the game is on the line, we miss too many of them, and we also miss them when we are trying to build a lead and put our boots on their throats and put them away! Also the number of bunnies that alot of the players are missing? My god, we could be up big in the games. Hopefully the coaching staff is having them practice the fundamentals and everything is righted starting with this weeks games. Just an observation! Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

First, I am worried about them even getting here. Over the course of today and tomorrow a major storm is coming into the NW - if they are flying into Seattle tomorrow (strong commercial possibility) the forecast is for 12-18 inches of snow, if they fly directly here (possible United SFO - GEG) then we are supposed to get 6" and "gusty winds" - - - so, I just want them to get here first and I wouldn't mind at all if they spent Wed. night at Sea-Tac and get in mid-day Thurs.

Then, I think they feel the full wrath of a GU team that is still stinging from the road loss to SMC but feeling better about itself by grinding at LMU. I think we have a close first half, but end up the first half up by 8. Then I think we wear them down and win going away with subs playing. Re-uniting with the kennel club will be a huge energy boost and propel them above 80 again.

GU- 83
              USF - 64
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• 2wiceright
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Dec 2007

I think GBJ has turned a corner offensively Saturday Night... If E keeps scoring 20 plus and teams have to gameplan for Harris and Bell (as well as Sacre getting back to form), it's going to be next to impossible to stop everyone, including and especially hot hands by Dower and Pangos.

GU- 85
                USF-65

P.S. I'm almost scared if Bell keeps getting it on offense as much as he has on defense (though it'd a blast to watch) as I want all our frosh to stay all four years. Bell, especially has a very high ceiling! Go Zags!!!
                "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Sacre needs to get his butt in gear or Few needs to sit it next to him... hey just my uninformed opinion...he had 16 points and 7 rebounds against Michigan State, he needs to play at that level for us to continue to March

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 2wiceright View Post
                    I think GBJ has turned a corner offensively Saturday Night... If E keeps scoring 20 plus and teams have to gameplan for Harris and Bell (as well as Sacre getting back to form), it's going to be next to impossible to stop everyone, including and especially hot hands by Dower and Pangos.
                    Agreed. Bell is looking less timid offensively every game, which is going to take us to another level as soon as Rob gets back to form.

I also think we need to commit to a tandem of Landry/MK/MM at the SF to improve even more, but that's another story.
                    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• BULLDOG#1
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Aug 2011

if you want to work on the offense...

I'd give Keita a really long look.

There's too much ball hand-offs at the top of the key as Stocks, Pangos, Bell, and/or Carter and Hart weave around not looking to attack or score.. It's stagnant and serves as only facilitating an offense, not running it to score.

The wing zags need to catch the ball in a position to score and look to attack. They haven't lately because the opponents have chested up on Bell and Pangos and layed off Carter and Hart. Both strategies work at helping to deny the entry pass (where quite often sam and rob have players sealed) and deny Pangos getting open looks.

Keita came into the LMU game in attack mode and got the defense on it's heels. It changed the game, really. If Carter or Edi or Hart can't do this... you gotta roll with Keita. I hope to see more of this on thursday.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                        Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                        • Feb 2007

The last time USF won in Spokane...

George Herbert Walker Bush had just been inaugurated as president.

Guy Landry Edi was 6 weeks old.

Seton Hall made it to the MBB national championship game (at the Kingdome).
                        You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• 77Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2007

Zags by 16 --

Dons - 60
                          Zags - 76

Go Zags!!
                          “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• rennis
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                            I'm looking for Sam Dower to have a big game. There hasn't been much said about him on the board since the St. Mary's loss.
                            Sam is the X-Factor for this team, in my opinion. Not sure what's up with the kid, but the SMC game seemed to rattle him.

Rob is the stabilizing force that has been missing lately.

If both return to form, we're in fine shape to win a whole lot of games over the next 7 weeks, maybe beyond.

Just win baby!
                            Originally posted by Coach Few
                            We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2008

should be an awesome atmosphere Thursday night, with Kevin calling on the students just sweetening the deal even more

USF looks to post big Blackwell, and they screen/roll with him and Dooling, and others. Good test because they know they can beat the Zags...just not in Spokane.

I hope we just smother their guards from jump, and Rob has a game where he really shows up Big

Comment

Working...
                              X