PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the LMU Game

LAZAGFAN11
01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
First of all, a quick shout-out to all the Los Angeles area Zag fans and alumni. The gym was at least a quarter full of Gonzaga fans and they did a great job with cheering. It was great to see so many fans down in Southern California. Here are just a couple of observations from the game:

1) NBA scouts were at the game including the Lakers GM, Mitch Kupchak. He had a front row seat at the table. I watched him throughout the game and he seemed to take the most notes on Elias Harris, Robert Sacre, and Gary Bell. If Gary continues games like that in front of scouts, he'll have a great chance at the NBA.

2) Elias has been more vocal with teammates. In the first half when LMU briefly took the lead, Elias started clapping his hands at the team telling them, "Lets Go!". Result: a Gonzaga defensive stop.

3) Some famous players attended the game including "The Glove", Gary Payton and Bo Kimble.

4) Like it or not, Mathis Keita helped change the momentum of the game for the Zags. He hit a floater, passed a huge alley-oop to Harris, and make a key defensive stop after a turnover. He helped inspire toughness and emotion during a stretch. With Keita, you take the good with the bad.

5) Pangos is clutch. That was the most ice in a freshman's veins that I've seen since Steven Gray hit two free-throws at Santa Clara back in 2008.

Zag@LMU
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
RE: The fans, I have been to the games @LMU the last three years, and this was the best showing. For a while, it was basically 1:1 GU to LMU fans. One of my friends with the team texted me saying "There were way too many gonzaga fans there dude."

I was also impressed with the fan section up in the wood bleachers, we heard you down in the "premium" seats.

DixieZag
01-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I suspect the NBA exec's were there watching the Zags - since they can see LMU any night, but I'm sure it wasn't just the 3 Zags you mentioned, I would bet that Viney, Hamilton and Ireland will also get some looks.

I don't want GBJ having break out games in front of NBA scouts. Although, if there is a kid in Kazachstan that can play - the NBA will find him, so I guess it doesn't really matter, we can't keep him a secret.

Having our 2 guards here a full four years is not a given.

WallaWallaZag
01-17-2012, 05:12 AM
the best nba propect i saw playing in this game was definitely hamilton...easy.

U Zig, I Zag
01-17-2012, 06:32 AM
the best nba propect i saw playing in this game was definitely hamilton...easy.

+1

Good body, solid skills, very athletic.