PDA

View Full Version : Sacre and no NBA????

Pig
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Long time follower who finally decided to post......

Sacre is great and full of passion and as a Zag fan i absolutely love what he brings to the game and our team, HOWEVER he is not NBA material.......

Reasons:
He is not athletic enough to play consistently against NBA caliber big men, this includes his lateral and vertical game as well.

He has terrible hands in comparison to NBA talent

He is not dominating in a league where he should have 20 and 10 every night, i worry that in the big ten or big east he wouldn't get off the bench if he was playing like he is now.

Why i think he is playing at a lower level right now:

This may sound stupid or wierd but i honestly think the new baby in his life is a taking alot from Rob both mentally and physically, as all of us fathers can understand its not easy

He is not establishing early position and having the fire under him that he used too.

Going forward:
Overall this week will tell us alot about the future of RS and our team, if we can have some great games that i like where we are at. If, we stumble or hesitate i will begin to worry. Again, im not bashing Rob (I actually love the guy and his play) however, i feel as though to many on this board are so color blind as to the reality of how good you really need to be to be in the NBA. Go down the list of all the big men in the NBA and look at there athleticism, its pretty obvious

former1dog
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
You may be right. BUT, as I explained in a thread about Will Foster, the odds of anyone being gifted enough to be an NBA player are mind blowingly steep.

You can be a phenomenal and gifted player and still never be good enough to make the NBA.

zag67
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I also will partly agree, but you cannot teach 7 foot. That being said, he may end up being someones backup and giving solid minutes. He does have a nice shot and hopefuly his freethrow shooting will return. He works hard and would make the opposing center work when he is in there.

Pig
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
you guys are both spot on... I think the size and certainly the free throw shooting are great attributes that will help him, i just don't see what everyone is talking about with the first or second round pick.

former1dog
01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
you guys are both spot on... I think the size and certainly the free throw shooting are great attributes that will help him, i just don't see what everyone is talking about with the first or second round pick.

I LOVE Robert Sacre. In my honest opinion, he is everything that is right about Gonzaga University College Basketball.

That said, he is not a great NBA prospect in my opinion because of his limited athleticism. 7 footers in the NBA these days are athletic phenoms.

Big Rob has been blessed with size and strength. A great attitude, smarts and is a really hard worker.

BUT, God didn't bless him with great natural leaping ability or quickness. These things could hold him back when considering his chances of making an impact in the NBA.

U Zig, I Zag
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I love Rob Sacre. GU and Spokane will always be a place he can call home. He will never lack for fans, friends and appreciation from the GU and Spokane communitie as a whole. Great player, great Zag and from my limited knowledge of him personally he is a great man.

He will not play much if at all in the NBA. I doubt he gets drafted, honestly.

You can't teach 7 foot, correct - and he can play in the D-League or in Euro and log minutes. He hustles and having a big body down low never hurts. He would be a project though.

He is strong but lacks power. Hands are poor (his #1 prob). He has no vertical quickness, he has to spin up first and even in D1 there isn't time for that. I know the NBA is totally on the ####list for most folks here, but if you watch any game you an see that almost everyone (7ft - 5'8") can catch, shoot, dribble and pass like it's second nature. Rob thinks his way through it.

Think of all the shots at the rim, the bunnies that he misses - getting blocked from behind, etc. That won't fly in the NBA.

His FT % is nice, but someone as athletic as Dwight Howard can go to the stripe 35 times in a game - you have to have the hops and the power to make that happen in the league. Rob doesn't have it in my opinion.

I wonder if he would be better served slimming up some and working with volleyball coaches or something, they teach you how to time your jumps (biggest verts in the world are pro men volleyball players).

That putback at SMC shows he is fearless and can get up there - but he needed a full head of steam to do it.

Das Zagger
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
This may sound stupid or wierd but i honestly think the new baby in his life is a taking alot from Rob both mentally and physically, as all of us fathers can understand its not easy

I didn't know he had a kid but I would imagine (and I don't know the living arrangements) but changing diapers in the middle of the night cant be fun.

I remember when Heytvelt had a child as well during his time here but I can't remember if his play suffered.

cjm720
01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I didn't know he had a kid but I would imagine (and I don't know the living arrangements) but changing diapers in the middle of the night cant be fun.

I remember when Heytvelt had a child as well during his time here but I can't remember if his play suffered.

I was thinking he had some lady problems, but this makes just as much sense to a degree IMO.

zag944
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
There was a topic here maybe 3 or 4 months ago asking if the lockout (had it continued) and whether it would affect Sacre and/or Harris getting drafted. I mentioned in there I thought they both had a longgg way to go.

Harris has played better but not nearly enough. Sacre started strong and was starting to make a case for himself, but I think he needs to play the best basketball of his life down the strech to have even a chance. nbadraft.net tends to overrate the NBA's desire for Gonzaga players....draftexpress tends to come closer from what Ive noticed. They have him as the 36th and 95th best prospects respectively. Not good when there is only 60 picks. Draftexpress has 17 centers or pf/centers ahead of him...

He doesnt seem to rebound, pass or defend at an NBA level. His strengh is scoring, and he hasnt been doing that well against WCC competition. He's really got to show something in the rest of the season.

allnet59
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Big Rob would be better served to play and hone his skills in Europe then sit on a bench like Adam Morrison did for the Lakers those last two years while playing in the NBA. And that's only if he's fortunate to get drafted by some team looking to pad its bench with a seven footer. Rob is one of the all time best Zags when it comes to competitors and team mates but that won't cut it in the crazy athletic NBA. I have always wondered if Few and company have spent extra time working on Rob's jumping skills and strengthening his hands in some sort of manner. But with some of the other comments regarding this thread you have to wonder if having a young child and the responsibilities that come with that haven't played in his head. Remember the year Ravioli had with the loss of his best friend you could just see the pain in his face and the direct result it had on him during that particular season. Is it really a hand injury and if so why play him in games when we a big lead is in the bank. For whatever reason that has caused his overall game to drop off recently I hope he finds his mojo again as his teammates and coaches need him on the court givinghis best effort if they plan to play late into March. Good luck big guy.

allnet59
01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Big Rob would be better served to play and hone his skills in Europe then sit on a bench like Adam Morrison did for the Lakers those last two years while playing in the NBA. And that's only if he's fortunate to get drafted by some team looking to pad its bench with a seven footer. Rob is one of the all time best Zags when it comes to competitors and team mates but that won't cut it in the crazy athletic NBA. I have always wondered if Few and company have spent extra time working on Rob's jumping skills and strengthening his hands in some sort of manner. But with some of the other comments regarding this thread you have to wonder if having a young child and the responsibilities that come with that haven't played in his head. Remember the year Ravioli had with the loss of his best friend you could just see the pain in his face and the direct result it had on him during that particular season. Is it really a hand injury and if so why play him in games when we a big lead is in the bank. For whatever reason that has caused his overall game to drop off recently I hope he finds his mojo again as his teammates and coaches need him on the court givinghis best effort if they plan to play late into March. Good luck big guy.

Ravio not Ravioli darn phones with their automatic spelling.

Reborn
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Why don't we wait until the end of the season before we have this debate. Rob is a little down right now, and as Few said he will find his old self again, and I believe the same. I hate to hear (or read) all the talk about the NBA for our Zags because it's just NOT the time for them to even think about it. I think the worst thing any college player can think about during the season is the NBA.

I hope Robert doesn't read this board.

Vanzagger
01-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Look at the centers Jordan won championships with. Yes Phil Jackson likes big point guards...he does, but joking.

All these centers were good college scorers. Rob has shown that. Which of them can you say is night and day better than Rob?

Here is what Rob has going for him:

*Not too many stronger...spacing is important. He can move earth
*free throws
*durable........................no 35 game schedules
*super teammate
*nasty...........................remember Cincy. He just had to give those guys the look and they knew they better wait for X.
*not going to snort his first contract up his nose.
*it's the NBA...................not community college. Think Texas scrimmage.

Most posters on here (and probably coach Few) were saying how Ronny needed one more year. Tell me how that 4th year helped Ronny?

Vanzagger
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
some sports writer just said he is close to being a first round pick. Do you think this guy just got a wild hair and decided to make this up? Why?

Rob might be a better pro.

awberke
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
The truth is that true seven footers with any skills at all are hard to come by. For this reason he will be given a look but i just don't believe he will succeed in the NBA.

duper
01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I believe Big Rob is destined to play in Europe, IMO. As a European pro he would be a highly sought after player because he is Canadian. Many of the leagues limit the number of players from the states that can be on a particular team. Rob would be a player they would want anyway, then add to it that he wouldn't count against the U.S. player limit and that would make him a great catch.

All that being said it would not shock me if Rob at least got to have a cup of coffee in the NBA.

FuManShoes
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I also will partly agree, but you cannot teach 7 foot.

I think that truism holds if one actually measures 7 feet tall and plays like it. In my estimation, Rob does neither. I've long suspected Rob is more like 6'10" and even if he actually is 7 feet tall, his bad habits, poor hops and bad hands mean he plays like a smaller guy. It's only when he's muscling for position that his size pays dividends. All that said, Rob sounds like a great guy and you take the good with the bad in a college big man, so I say this not to disparage him but to encourage folks to watch games and not just look at chalk.

MDABE80
01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
No...he's 7 ft...maybe more. Rob's hands improved till he injured his hand. He'll get better. he doesn't frop the balll down low anymore. I told him he needs a about 6 in more vertical to be a 1st rounder. he knows. Once things settle down, I think he can get that 6 in with some work.

He might be in Europe...I wouldn't count him out for the NBA somewhere though. A bit early s=to say with him injured. He's not a shoo in...I think he needs to hear what he needs coming from a Pro. We'll see how he does the rest of the season. Kid's got heart though..hard to teach that too.

ZagsGoZags
01-17-2012, 01:44 AM
I thought Robert played well after the baby,
I thought his play fell off exactly with the thumb injury
these are just my perception and memories about it

zaguarxj
01-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Ok, help me out here. When I watched the LMU game, I looked to see if Sacre was wearing any tape or brace on his hand. I didn't see anything. People are talking about the injury as if it's ongoing. Wouldn't he tape it if it was still bothering him?

zag944
01-17-2012, 08:11 AM
All these centers were good college scorers. Rob has shown that. Which of them can you say is night and day better than Rob?

Longley and Perdue were both like 19 and 10 guys in college, and from what I saw in the NBA quality enough defenders. Perdue was even SEC player of the Year. Bill Cartwright is perhaps amongst the 5 best scorers and rebounders in WCC history. I think all were high to mid first round picks...

Id say there's a fairly significant gap in resumes.

gamagin
01-17-2012, 08:29 AM
are between his ears. The good news is that can be fixed and by all indications he will get back to the RS we saw starting this season.

THAT RS, imo, needs to channel his inner Pit Bull and cop an attitude that no one is going to invade his space and head, for that matter, for the rest of the season.

Having watched him for five years now, I think he has shown signs of all sorts of athleticism -- jumping out of the building at times, shooting up top, dribbling, even developing his left hand this past summer and showing it earlier this year with effect. And his f.t. shooting gained national attention and that was warranted. He was all set to make his living drawing fouls and making the shots, a'la The Mailman.

The hands have always been suspect,but I've come to believe the hands go bad when the focus tends to wander. What causes that drop off, I don't know. I suppose the injury could discourage him but it heals. The mindset, imo, is what he is dealing with and needs to re set.

Lloyd and Few mentioned after SMC & LMU his getting "engaged." to me that means getting in to the game. Paying attention. participating. Stepping up to the challenge and the task. that means,further, that he somehow fell off that bandwagon.

How and why he his in this funk, I don't know. But as I read all the things RS can't do, I recall all the times he performed admirably and remind myself, and you all too, that if he's done all the things he appears now unable to do -- and he has -- like catch a pass and finish, then most of this alleged, sudden, inability is in his head, not in his DNA.

And he will be back. With confidence and hopefully, that infectious smile that let's everyone know he's having fun, again, too.

As for the NBA, I don't care. that will take care of itself if RS takes care of himself.