PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi's Latest and Updated Polls

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
He has the Zags and St. Mary's as five seeds with BYU in a 12-seed play-in game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

On another note, St. Mary's took Gonzaga's spot in the Coaches' Poll. That should not surprise anyone.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
And St. Mary's moves into the AP Poll. Gonzaga drops out.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/ap

sittingon50
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
ORU 1st & (with a win) Grant Gibbs & Creighton.

That would be fun!:D

23dpg
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Gonzaga still holding at #9 on ESPN's RPI.

awberke
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
How high will Murray state go? They don't play a team with a lower RPI than 167 the rest of the year (with an average of around 210, i don't want to calculate it). If they keep winning and top 10 teams keep losing, they'll keep going up.

I'm not saying they're not good but it's tough to tell.

awberke
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM

I highly doubt they would ever have us play a team we've already beaten.

I also think a 12 seed seems low for BYU, i think they're pretty good.

titopoet
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
How high will Murray state go? They don't play a team with a lower RPI than 167 the rest of the year (with an average of around 210, i don't want to calculate it). If they keep winning and top 10 teams keep losing, they'll keep going up.

I'm not saying they're not good but it's tough to tell.

Interesting. Murry state may get a rpi higher opponent.

Both SMC and Murry State are in bracketbusters with SMC on the road and Murry State hosting. Will ESPN pull the trigger? Maybe, if both are ranked. Also, Creighton is hosting (so Murry State can't play them but SMC can)
Bracketbusters...Fun times.

sircreate
01-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Murray State could play St Mary's in the bracketbusters

Murray is the top home team and St Mary's is the top road team and normally they would meet(aka USU and St Mary's last year), but there's not many decent road teams this year so they could end up playing Creighton instead.

awberke
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Interesting. Murry state may get a rpi higher opponent.

Both SMC and Murry State are in bracketbusters with SMC on the road and Murry State hosting. Will ESPN pull the trigger? Maybe, if both are ranked. Also, Creighton is hosting (so Murry State can't play them but SMC can)
Bracketbusters...Fun times.

There was discussion of this on the SMC board. The verdict being they would rather play at Creighton as its closer. If i were them i would choose murray state.

This point in the season is very similar to SMC's season last year. This is the turning point for them, and unfortunately it all rests on road games. They play Gonzaga, BYU, and a bracketbuster game on the road. They could very easily end up in the same spot they were last year.

sircreate
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Didnt see tito's post before I wrote mine before :p

Alot of the best bracketbuster teams come from the MVC this season, and outside them and St Mary's theres not really many good road teams. So even tho Murray State and St Mary's would be logical choice if you picked the teams today, they could end up matching up St Mary's and Creighton and having Murray State play a MVC road team.

Either team would be fine with me, Murray State would be the bigger media game since there's the question of Murray State being undefeated by game day and nobody really knowing just how good they are, or Creighton which has the top home rpi and it would mean a return for Kenton Walker who was a transfer from there.

MDABE80
01-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Creighton shouldn't even be IN bracketbusters. McDermott, Gibbs are just spectacular. Jays have a nice shooting guard and a superior center who can jump ( 6 11, 280) very well..
I do think both SMC and GU should be ranked. It's just crazy for a 3 loss team like ours to be out....oh well. Nothing supports a team like winning. We need to return to our winning ways. I hope we beat USF by 50.

DixieZag
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
From anyone with an interest in GU, we should want SMC to play Murray State. I happen to wish SMC well when we are not competing for WCC Champs, like bracketbuster, Murray State has made a big splash in the media - is highly ranked, it would be a "showcase" win, it would elevate SMC to where they should be in the national thinking, ensure a tourney birth - and to those that hate SMC - at least it would make the Zags lose to them more understandable to the East Coast, and make any victory over them at home an even better win.

odeasmcgu
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Just a hypothetical question, do GU fans think that Grant Gibbs would have helped GU this year??? and do you think Few and Co. gave up on him too early. This is not an opinion about Few but what you think about how Gibbs has developed??

awberke
01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Just a hypothetical question, do GU fans think that Grant Gibbs would have helped GU this year??? and do you think Few and Co. gave up on him too early. This is not an opinion about Few but what you think about how Gibbs has developed??

This is kind of thread jacking, i would start a new one.

U Zig, I Zag
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Grant Gibbs' new team is better than Grant Gibbs' old team.

awberke
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Better than his old team with him on it?

U Zig, I Zag
01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Better than his old team with him on it?

Maybe. It's like that country song about what might have been.

In all seriousness Creighton looks good. Efficient. The key for them is that one gunner they got (25ppg I think).

I wouldn't want to go play them on their floor, that's for sure. Maybe us at the end of Jan, but not now. The SMC game, getting away like that hangs over my head like the cloud above the Munsters house on the TV show.

Chicken Ball
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Creighton's a terrific offensive team, but they're pretty awful on D. In aggregate, Gonzaga's still a better team.

MickMick
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM

I knew you would get quite a response from this.

Grant would likely see some time here but I doubt he would be much more than a role player. I wish him the best of luck with his new team. If GU is fortunate enough to play in post season, I would consider Creighton to be a favorable draw.

john montana
01-16-2012, 12:39 PM
smc would crush creighton. i haven't seen murray state, so i can't comment on that match up, but smc would crush creighton from what i've seen.

awberke
01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
I knew you would get quite a response from this.

Grant would likely see some time here but I doubt he would be much more than a role player. I wish him the best of luck with his new team. If GU is fortunate enough to play in post season, I would consider Creighton to be a favorable draw.

At his size, 6'5", i think he could start at the 3. He's a decent rebounder and a tremendous passer. An argument could be made against it but he's a better overall player than Hart or GLE at this point.

zagapotomus
01-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't want to go play them on their floor, that's for sure. Maybe us at the end of Jan, but not now.

I've been to a couple games this season and as far as atmosphere is concerned, it's not comparable to the Kennel. McDermott would be hard to stop though. It'd be a great game between two similar schools.

Baseline
01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Gibbs is the key guy to get McDermott the ball. Without Gibbs, his game isn't as good. I would love to see Saint Mary's play them. McDermott is very hard to stop.
Gibbs looks like a new guy compared to his time at GU. I think Gibbs would have played a lot of 3 this year. His defense still isn't the best, but he is very good at passing.

ldszagfan
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
When is SMC's bracketbuster games scheduled for? Is it after WCC play, but right before the tourney?

WallaWallaZag
01-17-2012, 05:09 AM
smc would crush creighton. i haven't seen murray state, so i can't comment on that match up, but smc would crush creighton from what i've seen.

smc isn't nearly the same team on the road...particularly this year. their shooting percentage drops considerably, and though they have been playing better lately, there was still that loss at denver.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
When is SMC's bracketbuster games scheduled for? Is it after WCC play, but right before the tourney?

If you look at their schedule there will be a Saturday off in WCC play, that is when their BracketBuster game is.

Oregonzagnut
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
On another note, St. Mary's took Gonzaga's spot in the Coaches' Poll. That should not surprise anyone.

I am surprised! If at the beginning of the season if you would have said that, I would have laughed.

It makes me sick to think the momentum is in the Gaels favor. St Mary's is playing focussed and urgent basketball geared towards the sole purpose of winning the WCC. We need the KILLER INSTINCT that the pollyanna fans on GUBoards are opposed to speaking of. As if to say "killer instinct" actually means murder and barbarism and hence, below the standards of stuffy fans around here.

To even say "killer instinct" is a PC taboo around here that implies thuggery or lack of refinement. And therefore must be opposed to our schools mission statement.

But if this team wants to extend the WCC streak we must win every game from here on out. We must develop a willingness to score as much as possible for 40 minutes. We ease up when we are ahead by more than 10 points.

I think Few is afraid to become an emotional leader. One that many elite athletes need to rise above mastery of the X's and O's. Everyone says it must "happen in the locker room and in private." He is more "himself" in practice, but the fact is, Few is poker faced, all the time. Anyone who has seen him in public and in public sees his interacting with people and knows he is quiet and even keel all the time.

It is up to Mark Few to challenge himself to learn elite ego management and motivational skills. Mark Few is not perfect. We all need to challenge ourselves to continual improvement every day. Few needs to step up and deliberately break out of his comfort zone. Break the programs comfort zone! He has a coaching style characterized by passive sideline micromanagement and an emotionally devoid businesslike approach to each game and each season. There is always next year. That sentiment is killing us.

Mark Few wins, but, to be honest and I risk being slammed for saying this, but he is boring. Few should take a few acting lessons from Gray. Few can act like he has passion on the sidelines and on TV. Show some color, some emotion. Go out on a limb. Wear some emotion on your sleeve. Risk it. Risk gaining some attention for yourself as a visibly passionate coach. Stir some things up a little. Something. ANYTHING!

Few needs to develop some showmanship and a willingness to be THE visible and emotional leader. IMO, It will go a lot further than people even realize. Leadership by committee is failing miserably. Mark Few needs to accept this role and take it to a new level for our program to reach that new level.

gaelbbfan
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
The Gaels will play its bracketbuster game the weekend of February 18. It could be Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

I look forward to our rematch on 2/9 at the MAC. It was a great game last year and I expect another this year.

awberke
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
many elite athletes need to rise above mastery of the X's and O's.[/U] Everyone says it must "happen in the locker room and in private." He is more "himself" in practice, but the fact is, Few is poker faced, all the time. Anyone who has seen him in public and in public sees his interacting with people and knows he is quiet and even keel all the time.

It is up to Mark Few to challenge himself to learn elite ego management and motivational skills. Mark Few is not perfect. We all need to challenge ourselves to continual improvement every day. Few needs to step up and deliberately break out of his comfort zone. Break the programs comfort zone! He has a coaching style characterized by passive sideline micromanagement and an emotionally devoid businesslike approach to each game and each season. There is always next year. That sentiment is killing us.

Mark Few wins, but, to be honest and I risk being slammed for saying this, but he is boring. Few should take a few acting lessons from Gray. Few can act like he has passion on the sidelines and on TV. Show some color, some emotion. Go out on a limb. Wear some emotion on your sleeve. Risk it. Risk gaining some attention for yourself as a visibly passionate coach. Stir some things up a little. Something. ANYTHING!

Few needs to develop some showmanship and a willingness to be THE visible and emotional leader. IMO, It will go a lot further than people even realize. Leadership by committee is failing miserably. Mark Few needs to accept this role and take it to a new level for our program to reach that new level.

Listen, we had one truly bad game at SMC, followed by a win against a tough team on the road.

I believe in this team and in the coach, one loss does not warrant the exorcism that some on this board want to commit. A bad game is a bad game, obviously coach few is good at what he does, he continually takes mediocre talent (relative to other top programs) and turns out a top tier program, that's good enough for me.

Zagdawg
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
I will take an emotionaly stable winner any day of the week over a mood swinging crazy coach who gets in his players faces in an effort to force them to do what he wants them to do.

A team that wants to perform for their school, teammates and coach can overcome and achieve outstanding results.

A team that is bullied/embarrassed /forced to do what the coach wants rarely gets where they need to be.

I seem to recall a picture of Few getting picked up by Sacre -- huge smile on his face as they are cheering a victory.

If 14-3 is "failing miserably" -- I will take "doing ok" and a perfect record with the same coaching qualities.

Not going to change Fews demeanor-- that's what draws a lot of the players here.

DADoZAG
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I think Few is afraid to become an emotional leader.

Well, you must know him really well to make that statement. Either that or you’re a couple Single Malts (3 fingers each at least) ahead of me.

There was a coach a few years ago that had the same kind of demeanor as Coach Few. He was somewhat successful. He’s been quoted quite often on this board. His name was Wooden.

I too believe that there are some things missing in the ZAGS coaching methods, but I would never say that Coach is afraid…

…them there’s fighten words, boy…

‘think it’s time for you to take a timeout.

Go ZAGS!

maynard g krebs
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, you must know him really well to make that statement. Either that or you’re a couple Single Malts (3 fingers each at least) ahead of me.

There was a coach a few years ago that had the same kind of demeanor as Coach Few. He was somewhat successful. He’s been quoted quite often on this board. His name was Wooden.

I too believe that there are some things missing in the ZAGS coaching methods, but I would never say that Coach is afraid…

…them there’s fighten words, boy…

‘think it’s time for you to take a timeout.

Go ZAGS!

Well said.

Zagsker
01-17-2012, 05:23 PM
To even say "killer instinct" is a PC taboo around here that implies thuggery or lack of refinement. And therefore must be opposed to our schools mission statement.

I always get a kick out of those people who go morally overboard with their opinion on sport phrases....my favorite is when I (someone) says "I hate that team" and you get the "ohh...ahhh...hate is such a strong word"......gimmmme a break:rolleyes:

As far as your stance that momentum is in SMC favor. Well, it is right now but that really means diddly squat...basketball season is full of ups and downs...SMC still has to travel to LMU, BYU, Portland a scrappy USF as well as us. We have some tough road games as well but I just see St. Mary's hitting a lull at some point and dropping more than we would...I actually think they drop one at SMC this saturday

bigblahla
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I am surprised! If at the beginning of the season if you would have said that, I would have laughed.

It makes me sick to think the momentum is in the Gaels favor. St Mary's is playing focussed and urgent basketball geared towards the sole purpose of winning the WCC. We need the KILLER INSTINCT that the pollyanna fans on GUBoards are opposed to speaking of. As if to say "killer instinct" actually means murder and barbarism and hence, below the standards of stuffy fans around here.

But if this team wants to extend the WCC streak we must win every game from here on out. We must develop a willingness to score as much as possible for 40 minutes. We ease up when we are ahead by more than 10 points.

I think Few is afraid to become an emotional leader. One that many elite athletes need to rise above mastery of the X's and O's. Everyone says it must "happen in the locker room and in private." He is more "himself" in practice, but the fact is, Few is poker faced, all the time. Anyone who has seen him in public and in public sees his interacting with people and knows he is quiet and even keel all the time.

As stated above Mark Few really had an enormous amount of respect for John Wooden and his coaching style. Coach Wooden would give hand written notes to Coach Few whenever he would watch the Zags.

Personally I'd like to see the whole staff dressed in tuxes as worn at the owl benefit in "Dumb and Dumber". Few would look good in that light blue tux and Top Hat.

Would that be entertaining enough? ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Just a question for Oregon:

Do you think that last year, after SMC beat us AT HOME and we then promptly went and lost to SCU and USF - that it was at that point, on the plane ride back from USF that Coach went "nuts" and crashed the cockpit and turned the nosegear towards the ground and looked back at the players and yelled "I got a "killer instinct" . . do you?" and when they all agreed he let them pilots level the plane out and the Zags went on undefeated (including a win at SMC) through the WCC tournament until they were Jimmered after taking big bad St. Johns to the woodshed????

Or, do you think he kept working with them, patiently, telling them to work harder, they looked at what they were doing wrong, changed up some stuff, and as other teams wore down, the Zags played better? Could that be it?

Zagsker
01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
nm

Zagsker
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
As stated above Mark Few really had an enormous amount of respect for John Wooden and his coaching style. Coach Wooden would give hand written notes to Coach Few whenever he would watch the Zags.

Personally I'd like to see the whole staff dressed in tuxes as worn at the owl benefit in "Dumb and Dumber". Few would look good in that light blue tux and Top Hat.

Would that be entertaining enough? ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

literally laughing at the thought of this.....those tuxes are bad arse

MickMick
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Are you making this stuff up as you go along?

Killer instinct that Polly Anna fans are opposed to speak of?

Few is afraid to become an emotional leader?

We all need to challenge ourselves to continual improvement every day?

HUH? Quite a tantrum there OregonZagNut. Sounds to me like you want the psycho that was coaching K-State last year, Frank Martin.

Last season, when GU was in the deepest hole, Mark Few collected his men together and said "I'm going to win a WCC championship. Who is with me?"

And so they did. And so Mark Few did it with emotion as well.

From the link (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2011/3/7/2037054/its-dancing-time-gonzaga-wins-west-coast-conference-tournament)

For a team that seriously seemed lost in late January, it is truly hard to imagine just how they managed to wrap up a 13th straight tournament appearance and yet another West Coast Conference tournament crown. Tonight's game against Saint Mary's was the rubber match between the two top teams in the conference but it definitely carried a little more weight. Since the Zags began stumbling early in the season, all the talk had shifted to how Saint Mary's had the chance to become the top dog in the West Coast Conference. With all that in mind, it was pretty obvious from early on that Gonzaga came out on a mission to prove that the WCC was still firmly in their grasp. Thanks in large part to some great offensive balance and some timely defensive stops, the Zags leave Las Vegas as WCC Tournament champs as they took down the Gaels by a mark of 75-63.

awberke
01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Just a question for Oregon:

Do you think that last year, after SMC beat us AT HOME and we then promptly went and lost to SCU and USF - that it was at that point, on the plane ride back from USF that Coach went "nuts" and crashed the cockpit and turned the nosegear towards the ground and looked back at the players and yelled "I got a "killer instinct" . . do you?" and when they all agreed he let them pilots level the plane out and the Zags went on undefeated (including a win at SMC) through the WCC tournament until they were Jimmered after taking big bad St. Johns to the woodshed????

Or, do you think he kept working with them, patiently, telling them to work harder, they looked at what they were doing wrong, changed up some stuff, and as other teams wore down, the Zags played better? Could that be it?

The former.

23dpg
01-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Post of the Year......for all the wrong reasons.:vomit-smiley-007:

kitzbuel
01-18-2012, 05:01 AM

Wow, I hope we don't have to send someone over to collect up your razor blades, ropes and belts! :p

Das Zagger
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Somewhat off-topic but somewhat related, Lundardi was way off with his projections last year, did he ever explain why? Usually he was only off by 1 or 2.

awberke
01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Somewhat off-topic but somewhat related, Lundardi was way off with his projections last year, did he ever explain why? Usually he was only off by 1 or 2.

Pretty big bubble last year. (I hate that term FYI)