PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell = toughness personified

CDC84
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
As we all know, GBJ had a rough night against St. Mary's....specifically with guarding Matthew D. It was his first rough outing in awhile. On top of that, his team suffered an embarrassing defeat.

He could've easily sulked.

So what was his response??

He possibly played his best game as a Zag against LMU: 16 points, 4 boards,
3 assists....and he was back to his usual defensive self.

When a freshman responds to adversity like that, you know that he has it.

Toughness is something I'm never going to have to worry about with Gary.

zagitarious
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
As tough as the guys at Thug-U but with 10 times the maturity. As a freshman no less.

fedwayzag
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Agreed. so glad he is a zag.

CDC84
01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
One of Gary's greatest attributes is how composed he is mentally on the court. He never gets too high and too down. You might even say he is emotionless. John Wooden would've loved that about him if he were still alive.

I know guys like Dick Vitale love players who beat their chest and dance after every positive play - as if that's the only way a player can express his passion for the game - but I have always liked guys with Gary's approach. It not only keeps a player level headed, but it can actually put fear into opponents.

kyle dixon
01-16-2012, 06:42 AM
The thing that impresses me the most about Bell is that whenever he misses a shot or turns the ball over, he hustles back to the defensive end of the floor for defense. Those two charges he took in the second half were very pivotal to turning the tide of the game against LMU. This kid brings it every night. It is going to be exciting to see him grow as a player the next few years. Great post CDC!

EuroZag2010
01-16-2012, 06:47 AM
This thread deserves a picture! Loving our Guards and how well they have played very composed. With time they will get that consistency on offense. Once that happens along with Rob, this is a dangerous team.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1584708324050&id=53fe6bfe21b3fd8e7b9206d3808c88a3&url=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.heraldonline.com%2fsmedia%2 f2012%2f01%2f15%2f00%2f00%2f684-17ZFKR.Em.55.jpg http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1574512362125&id=7668b491964e2e84cbd2de005661f0b5&url=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.thestar.topscms.com%2fimage s%2f1c%2fe2%2f412f05c0421595ee442b1a5e5154.jpeg

cjm720
01-16-2012, 07:10 AM
He gets better and better every game.

Reborn
01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
I think what personified Gary's toughness was when he took two straight charging fouls on their two biggest guys. The first, taken while their center was attacking the basket for a fast break layup and was high in the air. I think that one Hurt Bell a little. And about a minute later he takes a charge on Williams who's pretty tough too.

I think his toughness is also seen in the way he attacks the basket. He knows that for the most part he is going to be hit the way a linebacker hits a running back. I think that for some it may be hard to imagine how tough and physical the game of basketball is at the college level. The players are so big today. Thats why it's so important to be lifting weights.

I think the same thing that is said about Bell can be said about Pangos. I think Kevin P is just as tough as Gary. I'm not sure if people recognize that about Kevin. Prior to the season my biggest concern was wondering if we would miss the toughness of Gray and Meech. Those were two pretty tough guys too. And in my opinion we are not missing a beat in toughness and the guard positions.

Gary Bell is really developing offensively. He is beginning to play at the level Steven Gray played at. Bell is really an offensive threat. I have noticed that in the last two games Gary is asserting helpself more offensively, and I hope he continues to do that. The team needs double digit scoring out of him every game, and I believe he needs to be scoring near the 15 ppg level.

awberke
01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
He played amazing against LMU. I would like to see him use his left hand though. He had those two stellar plays slicing across the key but then used his right hand very awkwardly.

What has been kind of hidden in his play so far this year has been his athleticism, I think as he becomes more and more comfortable we'll begin to see really how athletic he is.

roxdoc
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Defenses have been really trying to shut Pangos down, but then there is GBJ beginning to take charge (no pun intended). Really nice to be able to bring a double barreled shotgun to the fight.

DixieZag
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
And both have incredible maturity and BB IQ as mentioned in another thread, they both seem to be on the same page as Few and b/c of that Few has given them so much trust. We could have a 5 star talent McD All-American but if he is making mistake being out of position, coach will have a leash on them.

These guys have the opposite, never seen Few trust two freshmen like this.

Fonebone
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree that Gary is amazingly composed, yet, it is not unusual for him to show emotion on the court. Pump his fist, smile, show some delight ! Kevin very seldom does any of that. I'm not saying one is better than the other. Both are very business like. Gary's "displays" of emotion have always seemed absolutely approriate, never over the top.

No big deal - But I don't see it quite the way the CDC might. CDC wrote "You might even say he is emotionless." Actually, he is emotionless most of the time, but its not unusual for him to show his emotion at times.

cjm720
01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
I would like to see him use his left hand though. He had those two stellar plays slicing across the key but then used his right hand very awkwardly.

By using his right, he was able to use his body more to shield the shot. Both were fantastic IMO.

jazzdelmar
01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
a few years from now we will reflect on bell's gm vs delly and just smile. remember when? he will be so darn good by then. as for pangos, he does so much that if something is off he still contributes. a sign of greatness......their twinned future is so bright.

U Zig, I Zag
01-16-2012, 11:57 AM
GBJ is better each and every game. That's the sign of a gifted (and willing to learn) player.

By his Junior year he will be able to shutdown the best of them and get to the rim at will. He will be scary for the opposition.

Gary: if you are listening, drop the useless shot fake when first get the ball, nobody is buying it. Jab stab one way, then go the other - give yourself room to the rack, to pull the J or to pass off.

LynetteG
01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Everytime I see GBJ on the court, I find myself yelling aloud, "Gosh, I love Gary Bell Jr!"...seriously! He brings so much to this team, I can't imagine him even BETTER than he is now! WOW!!

bballbeachbum
01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
sure showed a lot about himself in that LMU game...no dauber down that's for sure, to use a Fewism. The opposite. He plays so hard, all the time, with skills, and he improves and responds...lots of items to check off. The SMC game is a great, and inevitable, experience which he had and has responded to quite nicely. Hope to be able to thank Bennett for it some day.

DixieZag
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
I suppose we can thank Bennett for ensuring that for the next 2-3 years, there will be no way that our two guards underestimate the level of intensity needed to win on the road. And, thank him for showing the young pups (while reminding the Big Dogs) what kind of effort will be required at home.

Already can't wait to see how this team responds at home.

DCZag
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Tony Wroten who?? Viva GBJ!! The kid is maturing before our eyes, what a great get for our program!!

Baseline
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Bell is a Class Act!

billyberu
01-17-2012, 12:54 AM
It's been a long time since Jazz was impressed by any of our guards.

But I agree. Bell is legit and Pangos just delivers when he's out there (he did so many great things at the end of reg. vs. LMU).

It's going to be a joy watching these two over the next few years.