PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Sunday show notes

gamagin
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Q & A with Greg Heister, taped in LA after the LMU game.

GH: game assessment ?
Few: "LMU is the most talented team in our league, I believe. They can get a shot anytime they want. they are a tough matchup. They are a tough play.

But our guys stepped up tonight not only around the hoop but RS was kind of the old Rob, too. (he did not elaborate).

GBj did a great job on Ireland, he was making plays and he had a whale of a game.

GH: was that EH's best 40 minutes as a Zag ?
Few: "He's had some great games over the years but he gave us a great game, ownership and leadership tonight. We talked about that. Our young guys were looking around (vs. SMC) wondering what to do and they (vets, like EH) needed to provide that.

GH: I missed the question.
Few: "Again, healthy is a really good team. take viney. ours was his 6th game back. hamilton's 5-6th game back. Both were out with injuries. When they are complete, they are the most talented team in the league.

GH: With our low scoring games, is that good defense we;re seeing or what ?
Few: "It has to do with the pace. takes 2 to tango. we still like to play fast but in league it gets to be straight to the middle (my interpretation, we get right into it). People know what your doing and it gets down to possession by possession. Vs. LMU, it worked for us in the first half, and in the 2nd half we held them to 28% (shooting, I believe) defensively.

GH: re the SMC game. That was just one game, right ?
Few: yes, we got away from doing what we do best. SMC has a heckuva team. They outplayed and outshot us. out defended us, too. we got stuck. there was no flow. credit to them, they adapted, they drove us.

Even their their fives provided 29 pts and 17 rebounds. That's (supposed to be) a strength of ours.

It just goes to show, It's going to be a fight every night out. We have no birthright to this league. We are going to have to claw and fight and I don't think anyone is going to get through the WCC unscathed.

---

Interview with Mike Hart:

GH: surprised to start ? Aa a walkon ? I mean, this is huge.
Hart: yes, it's super exciting. It's still a process and I'm working to get better and better.

GH: did coaches come and say if you can get better you can start ?
MH: no, it's me putting in the work and improving. and i'm putting myself in the position for them to say hey, we've got to play this guy. I worked all summer on my jumpshot. It's working, I've got to get that going, too.

GH: I see you as the guy who does the ugly stuff: taking the hits and getting the boards.
MH: that's what got me here. I'm not going to forget that. But I'm working on my whole game

GH: Do you feel it when you take a charge ? When the fans go crazy ?
MH: Yes, but I've gotta do something to get these guys (the KC and crowd) to support me. I definitely feel that with every offensive rebound or after taking a charge. It's great (the support).
--

there was a discussion about RPI implicatioins (the gist of which Few felt our schedule would help us in the end) and another feature about Few's fishing buddies. I didn't take notes on them.

re USF Jan. 19 @ home:

Few: "their whole roster is returning."

& San Diego Jan. 21 @ home:

"Billy's team is getting better. It'll be a good week at home. So we need to get going again."

Last note: Few said the LMU win was for Brandon. Brandon was featured at the Ronald McDonald House charity game. He sat in the front row @ the arena. Don't know the nature of his illness, but he's battling for his life.

Few said to Brandon that he was the "bravest" little kid he has ever met and he wished him well. Heister added to Brandon that he "keep fighting". I remember EH going over to Brandon before that game and giving him a hug and a moment of his time before returning to the huddle, too. GUB love, too, Brandon.

EuroZag2010
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I just finished watching the show. Nice show over all, made me teary there when Mark Few was talking about the kid Brandon who is fighting Cancer. Really neat to see that from Coach.

gamagin
01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
sorry, i didn't see your post announcing the show or I woulda hopped on it w/my notes. best,

Zag 77
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Just to add a few comments to Gamagin's summary:

1.) Camera work from the LMU game made me appreciate Bell's performance even more.

2.) Interview with Hart sheds some light on why the coaches put him in the lineup.

3.) Overall, Few is more level headed and not given to panic (as oposed to many of the followers of this board.

4.) Nice fly fishing piece with some of Few's mentors brought a smile to his face.

5.) Few said the win last night was for Brandon, whom we have seen mentioned in his desperate fight against cancer.

Replay is Tuesday nights on Root.

gamagin
01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
It's Coach tommy Lloyd's assessment, given to Tom Hudson (GU play by play radio guy) after the LMU game Sat. It's pretty clear from this, and Few's interview, above, that the Coaches are in synch, on point and going try build on the LMU win (and the SMC loss) to move and grow forward.

And it's equally clear they are expecting the vets to get back in to their roles as leaders and leading. If they are successful, RS, MC, and to a lesser extent, SD & even EH (at times) could revive the espirit d'corps and keep it going in to the future.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=37792

Reborn
01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
It's Coach tommy Lloyd's assessment, given to Tom Hudson (GU play by play radio guy) after the LMU game Sat. It's pretty clear from this, and Few's interview, above, that the Coaches are in synch, on point and going try build on the LMU win (and the SMC loss) to move and grow forward.

And it's equally clear they are expecting the vets to get back in to their roles as leaders and leading. If they are successful, RS, MC, and to a lesser extent, SD & even EH (at times) could revive the espirit d'corps and keep it going in to the future.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=37792

In my opinion, Elias Harris is the best example of leadership on the team, and he looks like he is the one talking to the guys the most. Rob appears rather quiet on TV. Elias is playing with passion and conviction, and mostly he's really playing well right now and making hustle plays too. I imagine him to lead the Zags the rest of the way too. He has room to get better and to score more. I sure hope he continues to score around 20 or 20+ a game and continue to play the good defense he's been playing and rebounding too.

Zagsker
01-16-2012, 07:53 AM
In my opinion, Elias Harris is the best example of leadership on the team, and he looks like he is the one talking to the guys the most. Rob appears rather quiet on TV. Elias is playing with passion and conviction, and mostly he's really playing well right now and making hustle plays too. I imagine him to lead the Zags the rest of the way too. He has room to get better and to score more. I sure hope he continues to score around 20 or 20+ a game and continue to play the good defense he's been playing and rebounding too.

purely my opinion/speculation

Rob strikes me as a guy who has a defined role in his head. He wants to be who he thinks he should be and for him that involves scoring down low 12+ points a game..well he is not getting that and that is messing with his makeup. What Rob needs to realize is that he can still be a HUGE contributor on offense when he is not scoring, we have plenty of people who can drop it in the bucket....he needs to not force it when he gets doubled (look to kick it) and show patience when he is singled up down low....Rob could drop in 8 points a game and still be a HUGE aspect of the O

However as it stands now...he seems to get in a funk when he is not gettinig his down low (I don't mean that in a "he is selfish" way)

gamagin
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
This is the game thread prior to the LMU game. I decided to put them together on this thread because they seem to to be relevant and yet are floating around the GUB boards like little islands when they belong together to lend perspective. imo.
(see posts 8-13) in which Hudson and Matt Santangelo assess the LMU game looking ahead, and the SMC game looking back. Why is this a good source ? Because Matt has access to the practices. He talks to the coaches and the players like few others can. They both fly on the team play, to and from games. They are connected where we are not. It should help answer, or pique the curiosity about some Zags, with solid insights. vs. the tendency towards speculation on the GUB. and elevate the discourse, too, over time. Hopefully.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=37777

cjm720
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Good stuff, Gam. Gracias.

gamagin
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM

It's my understanding, Hart, then EH and then SD-EH are the vet leaders + MC in practice, while RS trumps them all (see the huddle and warmup ritual before each game as an e.g.) when he decides to get and stay engaged.

As few said, EH is still in the process of involving others besides himself in a play or set. His inclination was to drive and/or shoot, but seldom dish. that's changed and so has he and so has his contribution to the big picture, imo.

Ziggy
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Anyone know if Mark Few Show is airing on SWX tonight ? Time ?

ZagNative
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Show is scheduled for 7:00 tonight on SWX.

Ziggy
01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Thx ZN.

Zag 77
01-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I remember watching Few last year on the show and marvelling at his composure in the face of a very bad stretch. Ultimately I think that is a big reason why the team got it together and grabbed a co-championship in the regular season.

It is also pretty obvious that Few does not read blogs or tweets.