PDA

View Full Version : Coach on the Floor - Pangos/Bell

DixieZag
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
It has been a long time since we had a point guard that has an almost instinctual feel for the game. When was the last time you saw Coach Few have so much faith in a Freshman guard? And now we have two. The future is bright.

Two things stand out from the LMU game - we all know them b/c its so fresh in memory but it is an incredible luxury. Few had Pangos run the clock down (WITHOUT calling a TO). This says two things - one Few didn't want LMU to set up their defense and two - he could deny LMU that chance b/c he trusted Pangos to create something at least as good as what he could have drawn-up. And Pangos delivered.

Then up by 3, Few did something he has not been known to do; instruct Bell to foul and in Coach's words it was, in part b/c he "trusted Bell to know when to foul, not allowing his man to get in shooting range." That is a lot of trust considering Coach has not given it to many of his players in the past.

Thats a lot of faith in Freshmen BB IQ. It is a huge weapon and it is one of the main reasons we got a tough win where past Zag teams have lost. I suspect he will give more and more freedom to these two and we will be better bc of it.

caduceus
01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't recall any frosh getting the minutes that Pangos and GBJ get, particularly from the start of the season. Not Stepp, Raivio, Matty, Pargo or Meech, for sure. Adam later on, but he was a much different kind of player (and we all remember his, um, defensive prowess).

What's amazing is these two play in the top 3 for minutes on the team. Against LMU, Pangos played 36 minutes and Gary played 34. Kevin is averaging 31 minutes per game, and Gary at 27. Harris is in between them at 28 mins/game. After Sacre at 25 mins/game, it drops off considerably for the rest of the team.

I agree, it says A LOT about the BB IQ for these guys. I'd say in recent memory, only Bouldin had that kind of quality. They don't make a lot of the typical freshman mistakes that you see. Granted, GBJ leads the team in turnovers (and Pangos is third), but they are doing the bulk of the ball handling. Pangos has 60 assists to only 28 turnovers!!!

I don't think most people have yet grasped the degree of potential of these two in future seasons. We are very fortunate to have this guard combo.

DixieZag
01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
The last minute against LMU we entered up one. When the clock hit 0.0 we were up 4 - primarily b/c Coach Few felt comfortable putting the burden of decision making on Freshman.