PDA

View Full Version : OT-What would you do?

sittingon50
01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Did any of you catch the end of the NC-FSU game yesterday? With not much time left & the floor about to be rushed, Roy Williams takes his team off the floor & into the locker room (apparently at the recommendation of Leonard Hamilton, FSU Coach). According to the announcer, NC had 5 walk-ons left on the floor to complete the game. I couldn't tell in all the confusion if any Asst. Coaches stuck around.

I generally like Roy Williams but I don't think he'll be able to use the "win as a team, lose as a team" speech anymore. I understand the safety issues but I just don't see leaving any man behind. Weak.

Thoughts? Opinions?

kyle dixon
01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I also enjoy Roy Willliams as a coach, but did not like what he did with pulling his team off of the court like that. Take the loss and suck it up. Even his own players looked bewildered. I hope this does not become a trend in college hoops...

Ekrub
01-15-2012, 10:44 AM
If you have the ball throw it out of bounds with a few seconds left and get everybody off the floor. Don't know who had the ball, but I can understand safety concerns, but don't leave walk ons out there just because it doesn't matter if they get hurt.

Worthington
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought it was hilarious how he sacrificed his walk-ons to potentially get trampled. Poor kids looked so confused as the rest of the team left them to be swallowed by the mob. Obviously I hope no one got hurt, it was one of those bewildering things that made me laugh out of shock.

bartruff1
01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I hate to second guess anyone, but I would not have done that. As far as sending the starters to the showers, I would have done that with 15 minutes to go. They didn't deserve to be on the floor.

spike_jr
01-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Not that would ever want to see somebody get hurt, but I would have had the starters on the bench, if not on the floor at the end of the game. Roy could use the result of the game as both a learning experience and a motivating tool. IMHO, the starters and top subs "earned" the right to be around at the end of the game where as the guys at the end of the bunch did not deserve what they received.

BobZag
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
When college basketball starts resembling futbol in Colombia, it's time for the conferences to fine schools that can't control their fans and atleast attempt to protect the players. Some day some nutcase will knife a player in the gut. It happened at my high school at a football game when I was thankfully in junior high. The player almost died.

gamagin
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
and the other coach said he recommended it to Roy for the safety of Roy's team from the unwashed masses. I was surprised he left five subs behind, too.

webspinnre
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
If you were watching the game, the announcers stated that it was Leonard Washington's idea to remove the players, not Roy Williams'.

Now what it says that Washington doesn't think his fans will leave it safe for UNC is another question.

Radbooks
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
I guess he was worried because one of the women managers had gotten injured at the UNLV games a few months ago. If that was true, then he should have sent her (them?) into the locker room, but the coach should never, ever leave the bench when the game is still going on. What a horrible message to those players who work so hard in practice.

Here is an article at ESPN about it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/44750/williams-team-left-early-out-of-caution

john montana
01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I am fine with sending some players to the locker room, but Roy should have stayed on the court.

Bogozags
01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
WOW! Didn't see this but being prior Navy, always understood that the Captain is always the last man off the ship!

RenoZag
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
WOW! Didn't see this but being prior Navy, always understood that the Captain is always the last man off the ship!

Apparently that ethic doesn't necessarily translate to all ships. . .

The ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, was detained Saturday for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship while passengers were still on board, chief prosecutor Francesco Verusio told Italy's ANSA state news agency.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

DixieZag
01-15-2012, 01:41 PM
When I saw the highlights, I assumed that the ENTIRE team left early - that, to me seemed prudent on the advice of the other coach. It is absolutely terrible for SOME players to leave the court and ALL coaches and staff while leaving 5 players (and I don't care if they are walk-ons, all freshmen, end of benchers) who are MEMBERS of the team.

I think that despite Williams calm - "its ok demeanor" will foster some anger in the players left out there, some anger in players not left out there but pissed that some were and a feeling of "eliteness" is some players. UNC is too good for it to throw a huge monkey wrench into them, but that was awful.

Bogozags
01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Apparently that ethic doesn't necessarily translate to all ships. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I read about the ship running aground but didn't hear, until now that is, that the Captain left with crew/passengers still aboard! Another "Lord Jim" and that may well have been his last captaincy!

Das Zagger
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
When college basketball starts resembling futbol in Colombia, it's time for the conferences to fine schools that can't control their fans and atleast attempt to protect the players. Some day some nutcase will knife a player in the gut. It happened at my high school at a football game when I was thankfully in junior high. The player almost died.

I think football teams are getting fined if fans rush the field, right?

tobizag
01-16-2012, 05:40 AM
he did the same thing after the unlv game, and i wondered aloud to my wife if the other players got out of there okay. i guess my question, though, is what else can he do? should coaches of top ten teams getting blown out let the ref know they're leaving the court with a minute left? should everyone from UNC have gone to the lockers before the final buzzer? what's to prevent students from then getting used to this and rushing the court with a minute remaining?

and how would you know if the floor was about to be rushed? should gonzaga have expected st mary's fans to have rushed the floor this week? i didn't see it coming, considering our ranking and the fact that it was their 3rd win in 5 tries against us.

i think the best solution, given as bobzag mentioned that at any moment some drunk or even sober wacko could knife someone on the court, is to get security in place to prevent this from happening. when it does happen, fine the crap out of the offending school and force them to secure their courts. in today's world we just cannot have these situations arising and expect nothing to happen. it's only a matter of time.

willandi
01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
How about "Rush the floor and your team forfeits the game just played" SMC would have lost, as would have FSU!

sittingon50
01-16-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the SEC fines schools $5-$10K if their fans rush the court.

IMO they gather every security guy in the place & remove all the visitor's after the game. Roy should not have left his walk-ons out to fend for themselves.

awberke
01-16-2012, 08:35 AM
I saw one game where the coach notified the other coach that he and his team wouldn't come over for handshakes and would just leave after the game.

That's the way to do it in my opinion. I see absolutely no reason a coach should leave ANY of his players hung out to dry, i don't care if its a redshirt freshman walk on. That sends a message to those players, "i value my safety more than yours."

ID ZAGFAN
01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
How about "Rush the floor and your team forfeits the game just played" SMC would have lost, as would have FSU!

I like this as a solution. Seems like even the most volatile fans would see it as a deterrent.

ZaGranny

BobZag
01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I think football teams are getting fined if fans rush the field, right?

No idea. Don't watch much. Do they?

awberke
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM

I know schools can be fined in basketball if they don't make an attempt to stop students from rushing the court (i.e. have personal stationed in front of stands).

At least i think it was basketball, i know a school got fined for fans rushing. This is a pretty worthless post. Carry on.

U Zig, I Zag
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
So Few leaving the kids on the floor against SMC counts as child abuse?

Das Zagger
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Someone mentioned it above (and it jarred a few things lose) but the SEC fines schools.

I asked the Googles and it said UK was fined $50k after their fans rushed the field against Tennessee.

Knotsolucky
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm with willandi and ZaGranny on this. Great idea...

kitzbuel
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Roy trying to back pedal.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7469169/roy-williams-unc-tar-heels-says-apologized-players-left-court-florida-state-seminoles

'I would never have left you out there to play the game.'

sittingon50
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
That makes little sense.

810Suited
01-17-2012, 12:17 AM
....... If your son was at home,
cryin' all alone on the bedroom floor
cuz he's hungry, and the only way to feed him
is to sleep with a man for a
little bit of money and his daddy's gone,
somewhere smokin' rock now,
in and out of lock down,
I ain't got a job now,
so for you this is just a good time but for me this is what
I call life, mmm

webspinnre
01-17-2012, 07:51 AM
I've got no problem sending the players that are on the bench to the locker room, but the coach has got to stay out there with his players on the floor.

zagfan24
01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
That makes little sense.

His explanation was awful and pretty much impossible. I usually like Roy, but it implies that he A) didn't notice 5 players not in the locker room, and B) didn't read or hear anything about this before finally watching the game film.

titopoet
01-17-2012, 08:06 AM
I think it was brilliant of Roy. Why? Everyone is talking about that and not how pathetic his team played on both Offense and Defense. The players have been answering questions about whether it was right to walk off, and not how bad they played. If they had to answer question about their pathetic play, it would played with their confidence. Now, it is about something about their coach and the are force to support his choice. I don't think that is why Roy did it, but that is the effect.

The media is a little dog led by the nose.

Zag4Hire
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM

I took it more as a rearguard action. I am concerned that Hamilton had the premonition to warn Roy Boy and yet the arena security could do nothing about it. If there is a general safety concern, you snuff the court rush, pure and simple. Heck, you don't want to be a wet towel but if safety is actually being questioned to that degree, you make an announcement near the end of the game that anybody who sets foot on the court will be arrested, pure and simple. Funny thing is that I could imagine Keating tell Few, "Rush the court? Naaaww. Don't worry about it and it might safer on the court for your starters because somebody in the stands might get rowdy near the team bench. Trust me, the pinstrips never lie."

Once and Future Zag
01-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Allow for an after-clock technical for every fan on the court with shots to be taken by the losing coaches choice of player.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
it certainly strikes me odd that some walk on players were left behind, whether it occurred by Williams' design or not.

doesn't appear the rush-the-floor thing is going away any time soon, though it's over played at this point imo. Some of the ideas on here are interesting. Have to say, I've also enjoyed the experience personally in the past...but the dangers are there, too.

interesting take tito. to some degree it seems so, too

Zag4Hire
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Side note: From the blowout loss to SMC, hard to take away really anything positive but I did take a certain level of joy from the SMC court storm. All my SMC buddies were mad about this and are adamant that SMC and GU are similar footing. I bring that up every chance I get.

77Zag
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Side note: From the blowout loss to SMC, hard to take away really anything positive but I did take a certain level of joy from the SMC court storm. All my SMC buddies were mad about this and are adamant that SMC and GU are similar footing. I bring that up every chance I get.

Right on --
Do you think the KC will storm the court when we beat the Gaels in the Kennel? SMC will likely be rated, we might be ---
Not likely and I would frown on this if so.

When was the last time we stormed the court at the Kennel or any other venue?

Go Zags, dump the Dons!

BayAreaZag
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Rushing the court has become a tradition in college hoops, particularly basketball. Keep this going!