PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hyetvelt

bigparb
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
With all of the recent commentary on Mr. Hyetvelt concerning a variety of sub-topics, ranging from his NBA-potential, to his "head", to his heart, to his desire, to his consistancy, and to his potential contribution for next year, I felt it necessary to take a step back....catch a quick breath......an wade into these murky waters.

The reality is this; Josh Hyetvelt was inconsistant last year. He would have monster games, and he would have games were you wouldn't know where his head was at. The fact that a guy is inconsistant is not remarkable by itself, as many college basketball players (yes, this includes our Zags) are in fact, inconsistant.

What is frustrating to most (I know, group-speak is dangerous), is that we all believe/feel/know that Mr. Hyetvelt is too talented to be that inconsistant. Unfortunately, we all now know why he was inconsistant last year; That is what shrooms and p-o-t, which absolutely goes along with the shrooms, will do to you. No one can perform at their best, on a consistant basis, when engaging in these type of recreational activites. I know this from personal experience. Not currently of course, but regretably, I was that guy in college, while I was playing football.

The Bottom Line is that I believe that Zag Nation can feel safe in the knowledge that Josh will not be enjoying these same type of recreational activities during the upcoming season. I believe/feel/hope that Josh felt the slap of reality and my prediction is this:

"Magically", Josh Hyetvelt will meet the expectations of his talent to deliever 16pt/9rpg (we're too deep, with too much talent, and too many weapons for one guy to need to/have to score 20+/night). In doing so, he will shed the inconsitant label (which was fairly attached) and help lead our Bulldogs to the Top 10 and the Final Four, were as Mick will tell you, anything can happen. Yes, the The League will come calling, but I believe that unless he has a guarentee to be a top 15 pick, he'll come back for the very real opportunity of winning it all in 08-09.

Bigparb bashing season is now open.

sonuvazag
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
NO bigparb bashing here. I'm in agreement.

Edited to add: Except for your spelling

Zag79
07-11-2007, 12:43 AM
ill let the spelling remarks go since the post hit the nail on the head adn is what this board needs more of! great post, i agree with everything you posted. i also think getting the ball to him in the areas of the floor he is most comfortable with will be a huge help to his game.

ZagDaddy
07-11-2007, 05:18 AM
I hope you're right Bigparb, but I'm taking a wait and see attitude on Josh. Over the years we've seen athletes and celebrities get in trouble with the law, get off easy and react very differently. Some recognize the opportunity they've been given and right the ship but more often than not they screw up again and again.

I'm not suggesting that he should have been punished more severely. I think everyone deserves a second chance and I was one of his biggest supporters here when many were wanting him thrown to the side. What I am saying is experience tells me not to assume he will turn things around.

Obviously, I don't know Josh or know what he thinks, but I'm particularly disappointed that it came to this. I was really hoping that his becoming a father would have turned on some lights for him to recognize the enormous gifts he has and what those gifts could mean for his new responsibilities.

I for one will not be impressed with one or two months of consistent performance from him. I'll believe he has turned things around if he brings it every game for the entire season.

kitzbuel
07-11-2007, 06:24 AM
I think that if Josh had finished out the season last year his year would be looked at in a very different light (duh!). I say that because he does have a tendency to get up for big games and there were a lot of big games at the end of the season. I believe that those few games would have been enough to really change perceptions about him, but he did not get that opportunity so the perception remains. He will have ample opportunity to address that this season and he will have his teammates', coaches' and fans' support along with his own motivation to shove all the insults that will be thrown at him back down his opponents' throats.

mdZag23
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Wow, I can't believe all the negative comments about Josh. The past is the past, leave it at that and let him prove himself this year.

One thing I think a lot of you are overlooking is that he really played out of position last year. He's a 3-4 kind of player, not a 5 back to the basket post player. This is and was not as big of a deal defensivley or rebounding, where I felt he played solid pretty much every game last year. Granted he can get better but that come with experience.

My point is that he was asked to do things offensively that he clearly wasn't ready to do every single time out. Throw in the off the court stuff and we have the inconsistency that you are all griping about.

The big thing for him is the "mind set". If he can come to play more consistently every night and bring a more competative focus, watch out. One of the things that I was stunned by at a recent camp was his ability and accuracy shooting the 3. It was stunning how few 20+ footers he missed. He is an outstanding shooter.

lawzag
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Well said MD.
Hey folks the kid made some mistakes last year, was caught, was punished and its over. He immediately put his nose to the grind stone, did everything that was asked of him and continues to do so.
Whatever the reasons for his inconsistent playing last year, let it go. Give him an opportunity to start this year with a clean slate. If he plays great and behaves great (both of which I think he will), cheer him on and support him with all your might - he deserves it like every other GU player who plays great and behaves great.
If he doesn't play well or behave as a GU BB player should, then he doesn't deserve any accolades and treat him accordingly.

My philosophy is: I'm not perfect, so I certainly can't expect perfection from others.

Zag509
07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Any truth at all to the total rumour i have heard that he has more then one kid??

Its a just a rumour Ive heard from a student.

I'm NOT trying to attack Josh in anyway, or to make him look bad, just wondering if that was true.

Sacto
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
If you really want to know, then go ask Josh yourself or ask your rumor monger friend to ask him. That way you will get the answer directly from him and you won't have to qualify your questions and/or answers with the word "rumor".

Zag509
07-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I guess no one can ask honest questions anymore. I reconize it as a potential touchy area, and just wanted to know the truth.

I thought I made it clear that it was just a rumour. I hope sombody can confirm that it is false.

gamagin
07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
josh got himself into this mess and josh will have to get himself out. I'm hoping he will but there are no guarantees.

many of you will remember there were similar discussions re JH inconsistencies before he was busted.

I don't think everything going on is directly related to what he was caught doing.

I think it is part of the pix. a symptom of something we saw. if he was doing it all the time, it could be a cause. My guess is he was still an immature kid who needed some sort of awakening.

however, the knocks on JH back BB (before bust) included pretty much all the things discussed AB.

But the one thing, BB & AB, we might be able to agree on, is focus.

JH needs to focus and stay focused each and every game. For the the whole game and the whole season and post season if he is to revive his college career and hopefully, a professional one, too.

Barring some personal flaw, I think the maturity forced upon him will bring all this home and the opportunity for him to step up, stay focused, and do his very best will become evident this season.

maturity has a way of making us all grow up eventually, even after we have done all we can to resist it.

CDC84
07-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Josh just has one child.

Zag509
07-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks CDC, thats a welcome relief.

As I stated earlier (in another thread), I have Josh with 21 and 11. Despite our depth and many threats, I think he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and dominates. First team AA, and he takes off for the NBA after this year.

All of that means very little however without a deep NCAA run. :D :D

BobZag
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Any truth at all to the total rumour i have heard that he has more then one kid??

Its a just a rumour Ive heard from a student.

I'm NOT trying to attack Josh in anyway, or to make him look bad, just wondering if that was true.

I had a long talk with Josh's mom and she had to laugh when this rumor was brought up. But some people will believe stuff, no matter what. It's human nature, I suppose.

Zag79
07-12-2007, 01:35 AM
he will play with a vengence this season. he is chomping at the bit to redeem himself for namely the indiana game.

former1dog
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
IMO - One of the biggest challenges Josh will face, especially in WCC play, is the distraction of fans mocking his unfortunate mistake. It will be unrelenting and in your face. Cruel, but a cold hard fact.

I know our crowd would do it to an opposing player, so turn about is fair play.

Josh better get his teflon armor polished up and ready for the season.

zagster318
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM
IMO - One of the biggest challenges Josh will face, especially in WCC play, is the distraction of fans mocking his unfortunate mistake. It will be unrelenting and in your face. Cruel, but a cold hard fact.

That's true...just ask Daniel Kickert. I can't believe we made the AP wire with that chant!

DavyZag
07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Jeesh... lay off big papa Josh. If he's motivated, he will absolutely destroy next season. I mean just rip it up hard core. Honestly. I think we'll be lucky if he stays after next season... I think he's going to blow up and be a lotto pick. No doubt about it... if he can put his issues behind him and just focus on hoops, he will be unstoppable, especially with the rest of the horses we've got.

BobZag
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM

Very true. Josh has had to deal with taunts before, albeit not serious, but when he was in high school his best games were when the crowd chanted "Morrison's better." In those games he'd score 33 or more. It does motivate him. When Oregon fans started talking trash about how their man Maarty Leunen was going to destroy Josh in the WA-OR game, Josh got pissed and dominated, easily the best player and he stated why to the newspaper guy. He'll be fine. There's only 7 WCC road games. The ooc schedule is in rather benign environments, no true hostile road courts. The UConn game in Boston and the Memphis game are the only ones that come close. That's 9 total. Those might end up being his best games.

zagster318
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Do not hesitate. Show no mercy..

Just curious BZ, but are you referring to Batman Begins?

Angelo Roncalli
07-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Just curious BZ, but are you referring to Batman Begins?

More like Palpatine, I'd guess...

zagster318
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Probably so. I was thinking of the Liam Neeson character in Batman.

BobZag
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM

"Or should I call you Darth Sideous?"

Oh no, this is turning into a Star Wars thread. :starwars: :starwars:

"That's no moon."

"Once more the Zags will ruuuule the conference...and...there...will...be...peace."

sonuvazag
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Galaxy Quest

Robzagnut
07-12-2007, 02:13 PM
>Galaxy Quest

"Never give up. Never surrender."

"I'm half dog, half man. I'm my own best friend."

Barf, Space Balls

ZagDaddy
07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
This is such a benign thread I can't believe how many people are posting like Josh is being thrashed. About the worst anyone has posted (probably me) about Josh is basically saying "Prove it." Wow! What mean people we have here! Lay off of him already!

What a crackup...:lmao:

zagco
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
This team has the potential to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

J-Mac Zag Forever
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Way to go Reborn. I will say Amen to that!

ZagDaddy
07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Prove what, Zagdaddy? And who do you and others think you are that you believe he needs to prove something to you? This isn't benign. It's assinine!!! Your post!!! You sound just like my dad, zagdaddy....always telling me I had to prove something. No matter how good I would do,or how hard I might try it was never good enough for him. To tell you the truth. I just got tired of it.....I'm sure Josh feels the same way about people like you. Why don't you just give up the resentment, and get behind him. Support will go a lot further then resentment.

Ah Reborn. Go back and look who was writing what on this board after the infamous incident. My "resentment?" That is very, very, funny. I love it! Best laugh I've had in a long, long time. Thanks!

Now go clean your room! :lmao:

saintzag
07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Josh go for it . All the way and the BEST OF GU.

mendiant
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
ill let the spelling remarks go since the post hit the nail on the head adn is what this board needs more of! great post, i agree with everything you posted. i also think getting the ball to him in the areas of the floor he is most comfortable with will be a huge help to his game.

So you are saying Few should coach around one player rather than the team???

New flash!!! It's not all about Josh.

Let's remember that next year, PLEASE!!!

GO ZAGS.

deathchina
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
"This team has the potential to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."

hahahaha

Nevtelen
07-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Some of those fast breaks hit .5 past light speed.