• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Meehan's Game Article - LMU

LOS ANGELES – Gonzaga has had numerous close games this season, but this was the first that came down to high-pressure possession after high-pressure possession in the closing minutes.

“The things I talked about after Thursday’s game, the lack of competing, the lack of energy and talking on the court, all those changed drastically,” Harris said. “We played our tails off. When we do that, we’re a really good team. If we don’t, a lot of teams can beat us.”
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

AP Wire Service Story

LINK

"In bounce-back games you find out a lot about your character, your heart, your toughness, your confidence," Few said. "Your confidence can get a little sapped and our guys didn't do that."

Kevin Pangos overcame a rough shooting night to score nine points and Robert Sacre had eight for the Bulldogs (14-3, 4-1 WCC), who pulled away early in the second half to avoid a second straight upset.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Loyolan Article

LINK

LMU had three players in double-figure scoring, led by redshirt junior Ashley Hamilton with 16 points, senior LaRon Armstead’s 14 points and sophomore Anthony Ireland’s 11 points.

“To us, these games aren’t moral victories anymore. We feel like we gave away some wins earlier in the season so our record once again doesn’t really show our talent or our quality, but we’re in it to win it. We’re looking to win the league,” Hamilton said.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

LMULions.com good highlight video and story.

"And he knocks it down!"

Comment

• ZagNative
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Gonzaga guard Gary Bell, back right, steals the ball from Loyola Marymount guard Anthony Ireland (3) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Gus Ruelas)

Comment

• ZagNative
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Meehan's Day-After Post is full of good stuff.
              —With Gonzaga leading 60-57 and LMU planning its final possession during a timeout, the thought of the Zags’ fouling to prevent a tying 3-point attempt entered my mind — and quickly left. My memory isn’t the best, but I can’t remember Gonzaga choosing to foul in a similar situation.

This time, GU fouled and it worked out as planned. Gary Bell Jr. fouled Anthony Ireland, who made the first free throw, missed the second and Kevin Pangos rebounded the ball. Head coach Mark Few said several factors made it the right choice under the circumstances.

One, there were 6.5 seconds left. Two, LMU was inbounding the ball in backcourt. Three, Few was worried about LMU’s capable 3-point shooters, particularly Ireland and Drew Viney. Four, Few said he trusted Gary Bell Jr. to make the foul before letting Ireland get into his shooting motion. And five, Few was able to put his best rebounding unit on the floor.

“It puts you out there,” Few acknowledged. “I just thought in this gym and with Ireland capable of making crazy, talented shots and so is Viney, we needed to take the chance. We had a great blockout (on the miss) and it allowed (Pangos) to come from the top. It was perfectly executed on our guys’ part.”
              “He told me to be more aggressive,” Sacre said. “The calls weren’t going my way tonight, but I’m not going to argue with that. We had to keep battling through and me being aggressive helped the team out. (Few) told me if I’m more aggressive, it’ll help the team out even if I’m not getting the ball.”

Sacre was back in his role as the leader in the locker room, giving Pangos all kinds of grief for wanting to get a cat for a pet. (Sacre has two dogs, but he had no luck swaying Pangos’ decision.)
              Harris and Pangos needled each other afterward as they recalled the clinching play – Pangos’ feed to a cutting Harris for a layup with 8 seconds left.

“We were just talking about it,” Harris said. “I saw my man fake up (to help on a driving Pangos) and I took a small step (toward the basket). He threw the pass and in that moment, I knew I had to go get it, to bail him out.”

Harris then burst into laughter. From my angle court-side, Harris was blocked from my view and it appeared the pass was headed out of bounds before Harris raced in to snag it. He then used the backboard to shield the defender on his reverse layup.

“Kevin did a great job,” Harris said. “He made the game-winning pass, what else can you say.”

Said Pangos: “I was hoping he was going to cut. If he didn’t I was in trouble.”
              Bell’s defense on Ireland (3 of 8 FG, 11 points, 7 turnovers) was solid. Same goes for when he switched onto the 6-7 Viney, who had a rough night (2-of-10 shooting, 6 points.). Mike Hart also did a nice job on Viney and was able to help at least twice and strip the ball from a driving Ireland.

“Gary was able to make plays against their pressure,” Few said. “He was the guy taking (two) charges, he was the guy guarding Ireland and switching on to Viney some times. He had a terrific game, and he did a lot of things that go unnoticed.”

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Stat Sheet plus/minus on the game. Rob and Hart the Zag leaders. How bout that?

Comment

Working...
                X