PDA

View Full Version : Pineda trade looking likely

Angelo Roncalli
01-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Nothing officially announced yet, but according to multiple sources, the Mariners have traded Michael Pineda to the Yankees in a deal that will bring catcher Jesus Montero, one of the best power prospects in baseball, to the Mariners.

According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, 19-year-old pitcher Jose Campos, a right-hander, will also go to the Yankees, and Hector Noesi, a right-handed pitcher, will come to Seattle. Noesi, 24, appeared in 30 games for the Yankees last year (two starts), and had a 4.47 ERA.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2017234244_big_mariners_trade_is_apparent.html

sittingon50
01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Just saw this. Wow. Montero is a stud. Disappointed that he may not be the answer behind the plate because the M's need to nail that down. Hate to see Pineda go, but as mentioned the organization has some depth there.

gu03alum
01-14-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm on the fence with this trade. I think both guys go to parks that will hurt their value. Pineda doesn't pitch well to lefties and is a flyball pitcher. He will give up a lot of home runs in Yankee stadium unless he develops a change up. Montero is a right handed power hitter and Safeco kills righthanded power. I think getting an .800 OPS (.350 OBP .450 slugging) out of Montero is pretty reasonable and would sadly make him one of the best hitters on the team. I had not really heard of the Campos kid, but from what I have read he is a stud. He might end up being the best player in this trade. I think Noesi will be a decent pitcher for the Mariners and will probably end up like a Vargas/Fister type which is fine with me. All in all I'm not super excited, but I'm not super disappointed.

gu03alum
01-15-2012, 11:13 AM
This post by Mr. Dave Cameron makes me feel a little better about Noesi.

Hector Noesi May Be Better Than We Realize (http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/01/14/hector-noesi-may-be-better-than-we-realize/)

The strong minor league track record suggests that Noesi can get batters out with what he has. His Major League performance as a rookie backs up that assertion as well. There are a number of really good Major League pitchers who throw similar stuff and faced the same questions when they were prospects. Add it all up, and it seems like sticking a “back-end starter” label on Noesi doesn’t really do his potential value justice.