• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Props to SMC

I am sure that there will be plenty to complain about after this game.

But SMC played the most complete game that I have ever seen them play, they have elevated their program. They beat us worse than they did BYU. They had everything clicking, they are a great team that will be dangerous in the tournament.

Lets beat them in Spokane.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • NEC26
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

They are a good team I hope we beat em here. Don't want them breaking our conference winning streak.

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

SMC owned us this night

hats off to em. see you next time. I believe we will be a different team then.
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• awberke
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
        They are a good team I hope we beat em here. Don't want them breaking our conference winning streak.
        If they win like that on the road, there is a good chance our streak ends. But at this point they have not proven they can do that.

Comment

• SWZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Dixie, agreed. I hate to see all the whining, especially since we lost to what looks to be a very good SMC team. We had our faults and some of our guys had very off games, but give a lot of credit to SMC. They came prepared and caused a lot of disruption for our guys. Within the first couple minutes of the game I got nervous, we haven't seen as intense game as we did tonight. SMC is good and we'll need to be better prepared when they come to Spokane. A loss is never good, but lets learn from our mistakes and move forward and get better. That's what it's about. Games like these get us better prepared for the post season. Congrats to SMC, but we'll meet again, and it will be much different.

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

They could have beaten any team in the country in that gym, tonight. They look like a team that could make a deep, deep tourney run. They've been very good for years, but that was the best game I've ever seen St. Mary's play. Kudos to them.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by awberke View Post
              If they win like that on the road, there is a good chance our streak ends. But at this point they have not proven they can do that.
              Neither have we. Lets see how we do against LMU
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• HOOTER
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Very good game for SMC tonight. They'll celebrate tonight (and deservedly so), but the reality of having to make a trip to Spokane next month will soon set in. Savor the flavor Gaels.

Comment

• Stache
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Nov 2007

They play hard and smart. They must have depth because if someone said Jones would almost go 0-fer, then I would have guessed we'd win by 20.

Comment

• gonwick
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Mar 2008

They looked very good. We played badly, which didn't help and they contributed to no doubt. What infuriates me, and few judging by the pre game press, is Bennett's pathetic scheduling. If he'd grow a pair, this could have been a game between two ranked teams. Instead, we will fall out of the top 25 and the wcc will slide back into national media oblivion until we scratch our way back in. I don't know if smc will ever choose another path than praying for a sweep of gu, but I sure hope so. Storm the court, numbnuts, as the wcc as a whole suffers.

Comment

• Akzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Congrats To The Gaels ...
                      So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Stache View Post
                        They play hard and smart. They must have depth because if someone said Jones would almost go 0-fer, then I would have guessed we'd win by 20.
                        That is one of the truly incredible things - Jones was not a factor tonight, you would think that would be a big plus for us, unfortunately they have good freshmen too, one named Waldo who is going to be with us for many years and he outplayed our fifth year senior.

Unless Rob is hurt more than he is saying, then he has to take a hard look at his game the last few weeks.

But, SMC probably could have beaten Michigan State tonight and possibly even the Syracuse's and Dukes. They are for real and it is going to be very hard to beat them, even in Spokane.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

from what I saw for 40 mins and the reclusiveness of Sacre & Co, its their League to lose this season, plain & simple. Rob, Sam, & others weren't up for the challenge to defend, score, or have any sort of aggressiveness until it was too late. Props to Pangos & Elias in the 2nd half -- everyone else can cry themselves to sleep. They don't deserve anything, b/c they weren't ready and didn't show up to compete and play for all 40 mins like St Mary's did. Props to the Gaels. They deserve this win, the celebration, and most likely the League if we don't show up to play from here on out...pathetic effort by our frontline, on the glass, and assertiveness on offense.. Again, props to Waldow & Delly for playing their game & setting the tone & tempo. We got our asses handed to us and deserved every bit of the 20+ pt loss we received. Learn & move on, but damn, we looked bad tonight.
                          “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Scoreboard says it all.
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                              They could have beaten any team in the country in that gym, tonight. They look like a team that could make a deep, deep tourney run. They've been very good for years, but that was the best game I've ever seen St. Mary's play. Kudos to them.
                              Too many folks want to beat up GU.

Saint Marys is the best team GU has faced. Better than Michigan State. Better than Illinois.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X