PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ichiro News

El Voce
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003783037_webichiro10.html

It appears that Ichiro will stay in Seattle for the forseeable future. I wonder how much the managerial change had to do with it, as he and Grover reportedly didn't always see eye-to-eye.

wazZag
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I think the M's front office needs an overhaul, but if the Hargrove firing was enough to satisfy Ichiro, thats great. I'm glad to see him continue his career as a Mariner instead of adding to the list of: Ken Griffey Jr., A-Rod, and Randy Johnson as some of the best players of the era to leave the M's.

sittingon50
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I am not a big fan of Hargrove wazZag but for accuracies sake, he didn't get fired.

wazZag
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Oops, late afternoon brain shutdown. I knew that (I first posted it in fact, on this board).

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3564

Zag79
07-11-2007, 12:22 AM
first time in along time the m's do whats best by signing ichiro. what an all star game for the guy as well. can anyone say, playoffs? :D

UberZagFan
07-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I think the M's front office needs an overhaul, but if the Hargrove firing was enough to satisfy Ichiro, thats great. I'm glad to see him continue his career as a Mariner instead of adding to the list of: Ken Griffey Jr., A-Rod, and Randy Johnson as some of the best players of the era to leave the M's.

Glad to see the Ms keep Ichiro around and hopefully he finish his career here like Edgar or Bone.

Speaking of Junior and A-Rod--wonder if last night's game was the first time the same organization had two former players that were both #1 overall draft picks batting cleanup for each All-Star team?

Robzagnut
07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't like re-signing Ichiro at 20 million per year, especially when he will be 38 at the end of this deal. That's too high for a singles hitter.

My main concern is that this could affect the M's ability to re-sign Felix Hernandez when the time comes.

UberZagFan
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't like re-signing Ichiro at 20 million per year, especially when he will be 38 at the end of this deal. That's too high for a singles hitter.

My main concern is that this could affect the M's ability to re-sign Felix Hernandez when the time comes.

Calling Ichiro a singles hitter is like calling Jordan just a jump shooter. Ichiro has averaged over 100 runs scored, over 20 doubles, 10 HRs, over 40 SBs per year (the latter stat effectively giving him 60 DBs per year but with the added bonus that the guy following him in the order gets to see more fastballs). Lifetime .400 hitter with runners in scoring position ain't bad either. But that's just some of his offense, Ichiro is also a 6 time gold glover, 7 time all-star, best arm in centerfielder, puts meat in the seats, etc.

As for re-signing Felix, I'd be more concerned with the Ms ability to re-sign him if Ichiro left not if Ichiro's here.

webspinnre
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM

If you like reading this site with all the Zag analysis, check out the best mariner site on the web: ussmariner.com. They've currently got a post up on Ichiro going over how this contract is actually an excellent value.

Zag79
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
signing the leader in impt major baseball categories since he came into the league is A OK with me!