PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Mid Season Report

titopoet
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Here is ESPN Mid Seasons report (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7445644/one-college-champion-crowned-new-orleans-another-awaits-final-four-april-men-college-basketball)

For GU: Under the title: It's a long shot, but don't count them out

Gonzaga: Zags coach Mark Few loves this team, and it's easy to see why. Freshman Kevin Pangos leads Gonzaga in scoring and assists, while Robert Sacre and Elias Harris average a collective 14.5 rebounds. The Zags' only two losses are against Illinois and Michigan State, each by seven points. This is a tougher, more physical team than Gonzaga squads of the past. I fully expect the Zags to win their 12th straight West Coast Conference title.

I know it just ESPN, and not the grandeur of bleacher report, but hey it's nice to have a minor site like the Bulldogs.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
He gave a shout out to Grant Gibbs in that same article. I'm glad to see that he's doing well.

Creighton: Don't be fooled. There is more to this team than All-American candidate Doug McDermott and his father, Greg, who is the Bluejays' head coach. Greg Echenique is one of the nation's premier post defenders and point guard Grant Gibbs is a Gonzaga transfer who averages 6.1 assists. No one wants to see the Bluejays on their side of the bracket.

rennis
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
No one wants to see the Bluejays on their side of the bracket.

Church. That team is a giant slayer in the waiting.

ID ZAGFAN
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I liked this bit, too.

"Take it to the bank: Four predictions from now until New Orleans
1. Ohio State, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky and Stanford will win conference championships, along with UNLV, Gonzaga, Creighton and Dayton.
2. A No. 14 seed -- perhaps Oral Roberts or Long Beach State -- will upset a No. 3 seed.
3. Three No. 1 seeds will advance to the Final Four, along with a No. 2 seed.
4. North Carolina will beat Kentucky in the NCAA title game."

ZaGranny

OZZY
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Interesting article, but two issues.

He first says how Kevin leads the Zags in Scoring and assists, but doesn't rank him as a suprise impact freshman.....

He doesn't rank the WCC in the top ten conferences....

CDC84
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
FWIW - The WCC is 10th in the RPI right now.

Baseline
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
This GU team plays smart, very easy to see that it would be a coaches favorite. They don't seem to keep repeating mistakes, a coaches dream.

I was lucky enough to catch a couple of games of Gibbs and Creighton and thats a very good team. The center is "VERY" good as is the rest of the team. I expect to see them in March in the tournament.

bartruff1
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Power Rankings in the west has Gonzaga second to UNLV.....St Mary's third and ...Cal ... then BYU ....I wonder how their forum will react to that ?? :)

primal23
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Power Rankings in the west has Gonzaga second to UNLV.....St Mary's third and ...Cal ... then BYU ....I wonder how their forum will react to that ?? :)

Sounds right to me, no way are we higher then UNLV, might even say its a tie at 2 with GU and SMC

DixieZag
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
That 800 lb Gorrilla chip on SMC back just gained a pound, their win over BYU was a statement game even if it was at home. SMC is favored to beat GU this Thursday, I think it is close to 50/50 - and I think that it is more likely than not that we are once again co-champs of the league.

I just don't know how you praise GU so blithely and leave out the team that really has us in their sites. Maybe I am giving them too much credit, then again, never underestimate your enemy. I LOVE our team and it is a vey good thing that we have gotten better b/c we will need it to win in Moraga.

And I hope all my worry gets mocked on Friday.

BayAreaZag
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
UNLV hasn't convinced me yet as a team that should be in the top 15 (yes, I know they beat North Carolina). They have a big loss at Wichita State, and barely squeaked by Nevada, @UCSB, USC, @Hawaii. Just my 2 cents.