PDA

View Full Version : Edgar screwed again

gu03alum
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Congratulations to Barry Larkin on getting elected to the Hall of Fame.

Edgar Martinez should be joining him. He finished his career with a .312/.418/.515 batting line. He led the league in hitting twice and on base percentage three times. His OPS.+ for his career is 147. Against the Yankees in the 1995 playoffs he hit .571/.667/1.000 and had the greatest hit in Mariners history to win that series when he drove in Joey Cora and Griffey with a double off of Black Jack McDowell in the 11th inning (Video Proof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8yrc7xUss)).

Zagpower
01-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Great guy and very deserving. If we are going to keep guys out of the Hall due to character issues, why not give a borderline guy the benefit of the doubt for being the type of person that everyone could look up to?

Played his whole career for one team, was always a perfect gentleman on and off the field, never threatened to hold out for more money, polite to fans, etc. I was fortunate to speak with him and socialize on a few occasions in the late 80's, early 90's. He always considered himself very blessed and lucky to be doing what he was doing and was always incredibly gracious to my family and I. Have some great photos of Edgar holding and playing with my infant son.

gu03alum
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Great guy and very deserving. If we are going to keep guys out of the Hall due to character issues, why not give a borderline guy the benefit of the doubt for being the type of person that everyone could look up to?

Played his whole career for one team, was always a perfect gentleman on and off the field, never threatened to hold out for more money, polite to fans, etc. I was fortunate to speak with him and socialize on a few occasions in the late 80's, early 90's. He always considered himself very blessed and lucky to be doing what he was doing and was always incredibly gracious to my family and I. Have some great photos of Edgar holding and playing with my infant son.

That is awesome. I am very jealous. He is one of my all-time favorite players.

webspinnre
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I think saying he got "screwed" is a bit over the top. While I think he belongs, I also have no problem admitting that he's right above the border, with guys like Bagwell (who also should be in). I'd hoped for a higher total for him this year, but at least he remains in the discussion.

cjm720
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm a big fan of Edgar, but he was a DH pretty much exclusively when he tallied those numbers. Might be a long wait....but think he'll make it some day.

jbslicer
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Not a fan of the DH. Both leagues should play the same way.

Zagpower
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
As long as it's (DH) a position it should be eligible for the Hall. There was a time writers would not consider relief pitchers either. Don't they vote coaches in? Starting pitchers pitch once a week or so and then are often pulled after seven innings. DH's contribute plenty to be considered for the Hall.

Zags11
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Edgar is HOF.

webspinnre
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
As long as it's (DH) a position it should be eligible for the Hall. There was a time writers would not consider relief pitchers either. Don't they vote coaches in? Starting pitchers pitch once a week or so and then are often pulled after seven innings. DH's contribute plenty to be considered for the Hall.

Right. The key is just factoring in their lack of defense. If they're a good enough hitter to make up for the lack of defense, put them in.

gu03alum
01-10-2012, 03:28 AM

I totally agree. A guy like Frank Thomas who wasn't good in the field probably hurt his team more by playing in the field, but will probably have no problem making it in.

LongIslandZagFan
01-10-2012, 04:11 AM
The uber-purist sports writers will never vote for him strictly on the DH part. I hate most sports writers... most have an over inflated sense of self worth when many times they are truly clueless about most sports.

kitzbuel
01-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Agreed. As long as it is a position it needs to be considered. It should not matter whether you agree with the position or not, the rules have it in, so it is part of the game.

gu03alum
12-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Fangraphs makes a compelling argument for why Edgar should be in the Hall of Fame.

Fangraphs: Edgar Martinez and the Hall of Fame (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/edgar-martinez-and-the-hall-of-fame-2/)

sittingon50
12-31-2015, 11:06 AM
The article & all the comments below make for a great read alum. Thanks for posting.

So what's keeping him out? Too brief of a career? Doesn't seem to have effected Koufax.

webspinnre
12-31-2015, 11:15 AM
No, it's the irrational hatred of the DH, plus the fact that what he was best at (doubles and walks) doesn't resonate with voters in the same way that hits and home runs do. It's a pity that he and Ortiz don't appear likely to be spending much time on the ballot together, as that'd likely help Edgar.

gu03alum
01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
No, it's the irrational hatred of the DH, plus the fact that what he was best at (doubles and walks) doesn't resonate with voters in the same way that hits and home runs do. It's a pity that he and Ortiz don't appear likely to be spending much time on the ballot together, as that'd likely help Edgar.

I would agree with that. Just guessing, but I think there is some steroid stigma too.

webspinnre
01-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Edgar isn't going to make it, but all of the campaigning for him seems to have helped:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!7156&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AC7uZHAmcVGWgwE

Of the ballots we know so far (just under half), he's gone from 27% to just under 50%. Looks like Bagwell and Raines have a decent shot, in addition to Junior and Piazza.

webspinnre
01-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Junior and Piazza in, Bagwell and Raines didn't miss by all that much, they're probably in next year. Edgar with a nice big jump.