PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga's first 7 footer.

Birddog
01-09-2012, 03:28 AM
The Jerry Vermillion thread got me digging on the Internet and going down rabbit holes. I found this nugget from a 1957 SI that I had never seen before. I knew some of this stuff but there was a lot more that was new. Maybe this will distract from the pissing contests that are showing up around here.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1132863/1/index.htm
I wonder if the Greek kid mentioned at the very end of the article was George Trontzos who came after Jean Claude. Trontzos was one of the twin towers, I can't remember who the other was, maybe it was the big Swede. Hondo? Hondo?

gamagin
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
The Jerry Vermillion thread got me digging on the Internet and going down rabbit holes. I found this nugget from a 1957 SI that I had never seen before. I knew some of this stuff but there was a lot more that was new. Maybe this will distract from the pissing contests that are showing up around here.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1132863/2/index.htm

I wonder if the Greek kid mentioned at the very end of the article was George Trontzos who came after Jean Claude. Trontzos was one of the twin towers, I can't remember who the other was, maybe it was the big Swede. Hondo? Hondo?

was the big swede, I believe. I am positive of the first name. And yes, the greek is/was George Trontzos.

hondo
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
George Trontzos 7'1" of Salonica, Greece and Hans Albertsson 6'8" of Trans, Sweden played at the same time ( both sophomores in the 60-61 season) and could very well have been refered to as the twin towers.
Trontzos and Jean Claude would have played on the same team had Jean Claude not left school early. So that was a possible combination that could have been refered to as the twin towers. I will look into it more and post later.
Here is a link to a Story about Jean Claude
http://www.thetallestman.com/jeanclaudelefebvre.htm

hondo
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Coach Hank Anderson was at times also refered to as the Big Swede. But Hans Albertsson at 6'8" and 210lbs was in those days a huge player. Hans was a very good soccer player and a world class 6'9"+ high jumper in the days before John Thomas and Valeriy Brumel rewrote the record books.

Hans was not the only Swedish import. Hank Anderson also brought in
6'8" freshman Brent Petersson from Stockholm for the 60-61 season.

MDABE80
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Hondo...me and Mickey H used to ride our bikes over to see Jean Claude... Gosh that guy was massive....big frame! George wasn't tiny either.
Glory days guys....old days. Little kids days too;)

hondo
01-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes Abe those were great times. Every game day I would do almost nothing at school but watch the clock and count the time to tip off.

rijman
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
My dad was with the team assisting Hank when Jean Claude arrived. I chuckled when I read the section in the attached article about Jean Claude wanting to play guard because my dad told me about that. In scrimmages there was a time when Jean Claude would drift out away from the basket so he could take outside shots and Hank would yell at him to get his butt back in the low post. A 7+ footer who thought he was a guard?! Apparently Jean Claude was stubborn and at times not the most coachable.

gamagin
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
on that team.

I also worked at Dutch's across the street from the gym (now the Russell Theatre).

After each game, the players would come in, present their "comps/script" good for a set amount (I forget how much but it was never enough, grumbled the players) and order (99%) hamburgers, shakes and fries.

May and daughter, Patsy (Dutch had died by then), the owners, would cook & make shakes, etc.

I, as executive assistant engineer of general cleanliness, would bus the tables and run the dishwasher for a couple of hours, as well as mop and sweep before closing. Every once in awhile, in a crunch, they'd let me ring out a sale. Or make change for the juke box or pinball machines.

Dutch's was contracted out to the school because the Cog was closed. Now, the Zags are catered in the locker room, I understand.

Anyway, I got to know and schmooze with the ball players for several years in both capacities and that was fun.

But what this thread triggered was one memory in particular.

It sticks out over many others and involves the big Swede, Hans Albertsson. Coach Anderson was telling the team one day in the locker room, that they, like Hans, should take advantage of the weight room (across the hall from locker/furnace rooms, in the basement of the Admn. Building).

Anderson told his charges, as smiles and snickers began to rise, that Albertsson was so devoted, he was actually given his own key because he wanted to be able to work out at night, after studying.

By the time Anderson was done talking, and looking puzzled at the same time, there was outright laughter breaking out. He asked what was "so damned funny ?"

He was told "it was nothing," that someone had told a joke earlier and everyone was still laughing at it. They then mumbled apologies.

Some time later, the coach was returning to his office after hours & noticed a couple of lights on in the weight room and went to investigate.

Once inside, after turning on the rest of the bank of lights, he discovered a shocked Hans, not lifting weights, but, rather, in flagrante delicto with a a very embarassed, petite, GU coed. Allegedly.

Hans lost his weight room key that night but his devotion to after hour workouts lives on forever.

sittingon50
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Coed's did that sort of thing in the early 60's? Who knew!

:eek:

MDABE80
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Amazing story Gamagin! Oh those old days....:)

rijman
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the story Gamagin.

BTW- Tom M. is doing well, last week we had dinner and watched the Pepperdine game together.

gamagin
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the story Gamagin.

BTW- Tom M. is doing well, last week we had dinner and watched the Pepperdine game together.

Please give him my very warmest regards.

hondo
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
We have tried this before but next time you are in Spokane we need to call a general bull session. I've heard the stories from Frank Burgess and Art Taylor
and Jerry Wasson and a few from Bob Hunt. We would all like to go over your stories as well.

gamagin
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
We have tried this before but next time you are in Spokane we need to call a general bull session. I've heard the stories from Frank Burgess and Art Taylor
and Jerry Wasson and a few from Bob Hunt. We would all like to go over your stories as well.

I second this fine motion, Rijman. Do it. Please.

thanks & best,

rijman
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, I agree, that would be a lot of fun. I'd like to be there with my friend Tom who played with GU in the 50's, he could help keep the stories straight from what he saw and heard from his good friend, my dad. I heard stories from my dad and had some of them confirmed by Frank Burgess, which surprised me. I thought my dad was full of it. Frank confirmed my dad was still full of it, but his GU stories were accurate, for the most part.

Zagtana
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I was a GU student when Burgess/Jean Claude were there. Took a basketball course w/Hank Anderson being the teacher - easiest and most fun course ever, just hung out with the players. Remember putting two beds end-to-end in the dorm for JC. As I recall, JC was quite slow - remember a few times he was so far behind when switching from offense to defense he would only make it to mid court before the game would be coming back at him. A real nice guy and at times a crowd pleaser. Great years, back in the time.

hondo
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
"he could help keep the stories straight"
We don't care if the stories are straight or a little curly. At our age we won't be remembering them for very long anyway. Just good to swap tales of the days when we were just starting to fall in love with this team.

rijman
01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I was a GU student when Burgess/Jean Claude were there. Took a basketball course w/Hank Anderson being the teacher - easiest and most fun course ever, just hung out with the players. Remember putting two beds end-to-end in the dorm for JC. As I recall, JC was quite slow - remember a few times he was so far behind when switching from offense to defense he would only make it to mid court before the game would be coming back at him. A real nice guy and at times a crowd pleaser. Great years, back in the time.
Do you remember Pete Rij? He assisted Hank. He was an engineering major, graduated in 58' and continued to assist Hank after graduation. My dad went there on a basketball scholarship out of the Air Force and got in a car accident in the summer before arriving. He showed up to GU with leg braces and no hope of ever playing again. Hank decided to honor his scholarship and take him on as an assistant. My dad got his engineering degree and went on to work as a civil engineer. My dad thought the world of Hank and was always grateful for what he did for him. He also loved GU until the day he passed.

Hey Hondo, you're right, like a fine wine the stories get better over time.

gamagin
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Jean Claude was in Welch Hall, right ? Thats were I and a few friends visited him several times -- usually during times when the campus was empty (christmas, spring break) and he was alone.

Were you there when he scored 50 in the old gym ? The joint was rockin !

Thanks for your remembrance.

Radbooks
01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Wonderful article Birddog, I really enjoyed it! I also enjoyed reading all of the memories you guys shared of the 'old' days... it was fun to get a glimpse of those years. :)

Zagtana
01-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Rigman, sorry, don’t remember Pete. That’s not saying much – that was what, over 50 years ago. First few years at GU, when not at school I was working two jobs, early mornings as a greenskeeper (glorified title for a lawn mower guy) at Manito Golf Course, and after school in the Fuller Paint warehouse on Boone. I lived at my parent’s home most of the time, did not get to know many other students or staff very well. Did meet my wife to be at GU. Aw, young love, everything else was a blur after that. Married 51 wonderful years now. Gam – no, didn’t see the game when Jean Claude scored 50. I first attended GU games when I was under age 12, in the Spokane Armory. Then later, when I was at GU, if I recall correctly, many GU games were moved from the Boone Ave. gym to the “new” Spokane Coliseum. Attended most of those games – the Burgess years. Then, moved to Montana. So, been following the Zags for some 50+ years from afar. Although we get to Spokane quite often, regret to say we have never seen a game “live” at the Mac, but never miss one on radio or TV. Great to hear all the comments about GU in the good old days – and they really were good!

rennis
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
he discovered a shocked Hans, not lifting weights, but, rather, in flagrante delicto with a a very embarassed, petite, GU coed. Allegedly.

"flagrante delicto"

Now THAT is going in my vernacular! bwahahahaha...