PDA

View Full Version : Question: Will GU regret it?

BobZag
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=690134

"Brad Tinsley- California, Pepperdine or Utah is going to get a good one in this combo guard. Tinsley said he is down to these three and will make a decision in the next couple weeks. Outplaying a number of guards ranked ahead of him, Tinsley ran the point proficiently for his squad while also draining three-pointers and penetrating the lane."

The only red flag, and this is being a bit picky, is I see no real major schools hopping on his list. No Wisconsin, for instance. If he truly is "real good," where are the upper tier Pac-10 schools? Ask yourselves, "Where did Cal, Pepp and Utah finish in their conferences last year and the year before?" Where is Wazzu, Oregon, UW, some Big-12 and Big-10 schools?

Thoughts?

kitzbuel
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Since Utah is in the running, you have to think that Ray G is aware of him and the staff still isn't biting. Let's just hope he goes to Utah or Cal, then we won't have to be tortured by him when he does blow up.

23dpg
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure if we'll regret it, but I do think Tinsley is going to be very good. In the Les Schwab tournament last year, Tinsley scored 30 points in a loss to Oak Hill, ranked #1 in the nation.

wazZag
07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I've always thought Tinsley might be a "what if" type guy. I imagine he will be successful at the collegiate level, but I can't imagine the zags should pass on any of the guys they are getting. Recruiting high school players is alot about potential and less about being ready NOW. Tinsley performs well against his peers, but maybe coaches think that he has a limited upside.

BBskorer
07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
hope he goes to Pepperdine. The more quality players in the WCC, the better. With all the talent GU has in the pipeline, we should worry about no one. :)

kitzbuel
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
hope he goes to Pepperdine. The more quality players in the WCC, the better. With all the talent GU has in the pipeline, we should worry about no one. :)

Good point

tyra
07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll go further. I'd say ANYTIME one of the WCC schools lands a quality player, we should all celebrate. Anything that makes them better, makes us better.

applezag
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Two words: Danny Parisau.

Actually, I think he's several notches above Parisau, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be a pain in our butt if we go up against him. I can't justify going after him compared to what I hear about other guys we are recruiting, but I don't really know. I've seen Tinsley a few times and he's definitely one of those guys that makes you think real hard. He's a very good basketball player, but not an exceptional athlete. He plays hard and competes. I just don't think he's quite at the level we should be recruiting. That being said, I don't think we would ever regret having a guy like him around.

I do know that the staff has thought long and hard about Tinsley and watched him a bunch. They definitely gave him a lot of attention, and concluded that they wanted other guys more. Wherever he goes, I think I'll be a Brad Tinsley fan. He plays the game the right way.

cair3
07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
BZ: your point about other big time schools not going after him doesnt work well for me as a zag fan... I mean morrison, stockton, ronny and almost everyone else that have been awesome for us were not overly recruited by top schools. I'm not sure but i think only bouldin and daye had options to go to other major programs. maybe guys like hytvelt pendo and gray could have if they didnt commit early to GU and of course pargo and theo could have if highschool grades didnt get in the way, but your reasoning still isnt strong when you speak to GU fans. i think GU should have offered and taken tinsly but if we get the kid from iowa ill be just as happy and id love the kid from florida.

Akzag
07-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I would have to say that re: Danny Pariseau, those closest to the program could not be thrilled more how things turned out. No regrets at all.

Tinsley, is though, as apple says several notches up. Sometimes it is simply a crap shoot ... get the guys you can, and hope they all meld into a solid unit. Someone will be very pleased with landing Brad.

RandomZagFan
07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
The Magic 8ball says "ask again later" ;)

Nevtelen
07-10-2007, 06:29 PM
I get the impression that Tinsley could be a player like GU players a decade ago - a guy who's not heavily recruited now, but with the proper guidance and work could be a really tough, skilled veteran competitor. I think he'll be a very good college player. I think he would have been a very solid player for GU. But I hesitate to say Gu will regret not signing him - I think whoever we get to fill that 2008 guard spot (spots?) will be great and it would be tough to say taking, for example, Gibbs, would be a mistake whether or not Tinsley ends up looking good for Cal or Pepp.

MickMick
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
This is more of a statement on how far the Zag's recruiting has evolved...as opposed to Tinsley's ability to ball. Without question, the Zags would have not passed up a player of this caliber 4-5 years ago.

Zag79
07-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Danny Parisau

:lmao:

AllezZags
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
....cannot hold Tinsley's jock strap. Not now, not ever.

you brought me out of the woodwork on this one BZ.

While I doubt we will regret not getting Tinsley (the recruits we are looking at appear to be stellar), I do think that GU would be better off with him in our program. He just has something beyond his ability to play. He has that hyper competitive spirit- a chip on his shoulder (think Casey, Stepp, Santangelo, et al)- it is one of the things I fell in love with in past years' clubs.

That said- all is well in Zagland. I hope Tinsley gets the opportunity he deserves.

sonuvazag
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Honestly, I will feel a little sorry to see him succeed somewhere other than Gonzaga. The regret has nothing to do with the quality of GU's decision not to offer. It is, rather, more to do with growing pains. Gonzaga has a wealth of options. Not everyone we grow to love in the recruiting process will fit.

He sounds like he would be a great Zag, but with so many blue or near blue-chippers already in the program and more to come, Gonzaga is probably not the right school for Tinsley.

BobZag
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
BZ: your point about other big time schools not going after him doesnt work well for me as a zag fan... I mean morrison, stockton, ronny and almost everyone else that have been awesome for us were not overly recruited by top schools. I'm not sure but i think only bouldin and daye had options to go to other major programs. maybe guys like hytvelt pendo and gray could have if they didnt commit early to GU and of course pargo and theo could have if highschool grades didnt get in the way, but your reasoning still isnt strong when you speak to GU fans. i think GU should have offered and taken tinsly but if we get the kid from iowa ill be just as happy and id love the kid from florida.

True, Cair3. I'd say, however, that Adam was 6'4" when Few offered, Stockton was wanted by Wazzu, Montana, GU, and that's about it, and Ronny was somewhat sheltered over in Europe and was so raw that teams like Duke kinda were lukewarm. Conversely, Tinsley is being hyped with tons of exposure, and yet only Pepp, Cal and Colorado... But I hear what you're saying.

applezag
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling that Zag fans want GU to still go after the exact same kind of recruit that they did in the late nineties and expect that the magic of GU will turn them into Matt, Richie, Q, Casey, etc. The fact is that we were fortunate to have those guys turn out like they did, and they and the staff deserve a ton of credit for that, but even back then if the staff had had its druthers they would have taken the guys that Duke was getting over the ones they had. I don't think the staff can justify recruiting players as "diamonds in the rough" and expect them to be elite college players every time. Sure, we love their stories, but more often than not the higher ranked players going in end up the better players going out. Not that I think our staff is looking at rankings, but there is a reason they offered Gibbs, Clarke, and Lewis and not Tinsley. They think they are better players. And they are watching with the same eyes that they looked at those guys in the passt with. It's almost like some people belive we should recruit below the level we can because that's "Zag basketball". I love how we got to this point as much as anyone, but I also hope for a lot more in the future. Our chances of winning a national championship (and Few has said this is what he aims to do) are much better when we go after the best players we can, within certain perameters of character and fit with the program philosophy. While Tinsley and others like him are classic Zag-type players, that does not mean that Clarke, Lewis, and Gibbs are not, and the staff thinks they are better skilled players.

gamagin
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
<< Stockton was wanted by Wazzu, Montana, GU,>>

my understanding is montana offered, then Gu, under pressure and not all that interested, offered, too. Fitz offered, then became ad and stopped coaching, leaving Hillock JS's coach.

at wsu raveling had his man, terry Kelly, another g prep guard & the man stock chased around the prep gym for a few years. I visisted with Kelly about two months ago and he noted that the WSU team he led was the last one to make it to the big dance out of pullman, until this year.

applezag
07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Unless Kelly was in his thirties playing for WSU in 1994, he couldn't have led them to the dance the last time they went. I wouldn't burst his bubble, though, he's probably a nice guy.

In my fact checking, I found this interesting article about Kelly's team. It says he was one of the first players to go to a big-time conference out of Spokane.

http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/625471.html

zagfever86
07-12-2007, 04:54 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184208919162600.xml&coll=7

College interest in Tinsley has spiked since the camp. Schools that previously showed a passing interest -- such as Colorado, Nevada and Gonzaga -- suddenly see Tinsley as a prize.

gamagin
07-12-2007, 07:26 AM
the internet is a wonderful thing. It makes this board sharper, too to have folks check stuff. Not being a WSU fan, I didn't even think about it, nor think to look that up.

I was thinking, too, there is another point about Kelly v. Stockton that might lend to the various discussions on assessing talent. The two were compared alot over the years and there were many arguments about which was or might have been the better player.

I believe Kelly was a year ahead of Stockton, but in any event comparisons that I recalll always favored Kelly as the better player, athlete, prospect, etc., and for all intents and purposes, he was, as far as those comparisons went.

You could even take the argument forward and say which guy led his team to the dance during that career ?

Kelly, essentially, did it all during his college career while Stockton just kept on going and growing right through to the pinnacle of the basketball world and now stands in that rarified air of one of, if not, the best point guard in the history of the game.

so it goes.

23dpg
07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Terry Kelly was at least 3 years, and I think it was more like 4 years, ahead of Stockton. They never played together at GP.

Kelly was an amazing shooter, but John was the overall better guard.

From what I remember hearing, Raveling was more interested in Goron Dixon of Ferris, than Stockton. I don't believe he ever offered John a schollie.

Zag79
07-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling that Zag fans want GU to still go after the exact same kind of recruit that they did in the late nineties and expect that the magic of GU will turn them into Matt, Richie, Q, Casey, etc. The fact is that we were fortunate to have those guys turn out like they did, and they and the staff deserve a ton of credit for that, but even back then if the staff had had its druthers they would have taken the guys that Duke was getting over the ones they had. I don't think the staff can justify recruiting players as "diamonds in the rough" and expect them to be elite college players every time. Sure, we love their stories, but more often than not the higher ranked players going in end up the better players going out

excellent point apple. i think the 99 team was a special thing and helped get GU to the place it is now, but to maintain that we have to get the good ones to keep up. its not often you have a team of "diamond in the rough" types lead you to the E8 and S16 to place your school on the map. great post!

TR11Zag
07-13-2007, 06:33 AM
we trust.

gamagin
07-13-2007, 07:02 AM
<<Terry Kelly was at least 3 years, and I think it was more like 4 years, ahead of Stockton. They never played together at GP. >>

here is an interesting site & collection of stories gathered from stockton's coaches. there's plenty there about john and his feelings about Kelly.

OregonZag5
07-13-2007, 07:22 AM
We might but never as bad as Portland passing on Jordan

sonuvazag
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
<<Terry Kelly was at least 3 years, and I think it was more like 4 years, ahead of Stockton. They never played together at GP. >>

here is an interesting site & collection of stories gathered from stockton's coaches. there's plenty there about john and his feelings about Kelly.
:link: :link: :link: :link: