• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russell Bevan
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

Katz, Pargo gives Ira some love

From Andy Katz:

• Remember the name Ira Brown. The 6-4 JC transfer out of Phoenix College could be the type of rebounding player Gonzaga has been missing lately. GU point guard Jeremy Pargo is telling folks about Brown's effectiveness around the basket. And Brown could be the type of experienced power player the Zags need to go further in March. Brown is a 25-year old junior who played minor league baseball for three years, including a stint in Spokane.
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

I can't imagine this team being out-rebounded much, if at all--

Ira!
    Sacre
    Theo
    Josh
    Will
    Kuso
    Pendo
    Daye

And Pargo, Matt and Micah are all good rebounding guards. I don't foresee a problem in this department. We can return to the lesson we learned against Michigan State in 2001: dominate the boards.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Russell Bevan
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2007

Bob,

Let me play the play the devils advocate. Which among them rebounded consistently over the course of a full NCAA season? Only Kuso and his FT shooting is a liability at the end of a game. I am a little concerned.

As a side note, I am not sold on Josh. He is in year four at Gonzaga and has not played a major role except in a couple of high profile games that anyone would have gotten up for. Let him play a solid HALF season then tell me we can count on him. I know this sounds harsh, but if the shoe fits...

Russell

Comment

• bayzag09
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russell Bevan View Post

As a side note, I am not sold on Josh. He is in year four at Gonzaga and has not played a major role except in a couple of high profile games that anyone would have gotten up for. Let him play a solid HALF season then tell me we can count on him. I know this sounds harsh, but if the shoe fits...

Russell
        Well actually he has completed year 3. And he redshirted one of those years which leaves him as technically a junior when it comes to basketball. Oh and let me get this straight, having 27 and 22 against Pepperdine is a "couple of the high profile games"? Please....not only is it harsh, its dumb

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

15.5ppg and 7.7rpg in 26mpg isn't considered solid in your book Russell? He might be going into year four but last year was his first season as a full time starter. I think this all goes back to some of you out there having a problem with the person and not the player. No matter what he does from here on out some of you will not forgive him for his actions. He's a very good player with tons of upside. If he can turn his life around than I wish him the best and will cheer him on throughout the rest of his career.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Touche'.

Okay, alow me to rephrase...

The potential is there (toughness from Ira!, Kuso, Pendo and length in the others listed) to be a dominating rebounding squad.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bayzag09 View Post
              Well actually he has completed year 3. And he redshirted one of those years which leaves him as technically a junior when it comes to basketball. Oh and let me get this straight, having 27 and 22 against Pepperdine is a "couple of the high profile games"? Please....not only is it harsh, its dumb
              The point is that even during his redshirt year he was still with the program and should have been learning 'Gonzaga' basketball, learning the system, improving. His not playing the last 1/4 of last season did not help him establish himself as a dominant player. With his athleticism, size and the flashes of intensity we saw vs. UNC, Pepperdine, and a few other games, he should be able to take games over on a consistent basis. That is what he needs to work towards. Consistency is a must at the next level.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                The point is that even during his redshirt year he was still with the program and should have been learning 'Gonzaga' basketball, learning the system, improving. His not playing the last 1/4 of last season did not help him establish himself as a dominant player. With his athleticism, size and the flashes of intensity we saw vs. UNC, Pepperdine, and a few other games, he should be able to take games over on a consistent basis. That is what he needs to work towards. Consistency is a must at the next level.
                You think he didn't improve at all during his redshirt season? That's a ridiculous statement. Quite laughable. Everyone needs to work on consistency not just Josh. Yes, Josh can dominate and has. Do you recall the way he was playing before the incident? After being in Mr. Few's doghouse he turned it around quite nicely and was starting to consistently dominate games. And have you watched the NBA lately? Consistency is not a must. Potential and athleticism is!

Comment

• sonuvazag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I'm calling it right now. Another innocent thread turns into a 40-post Josh debate. j/k

Seriously, this team will be dominant in rebounding against almost anyone.
                  Agent provocateur

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bayzag09 View Post
                    Not "dumb" at all. Pepp had a bunch of undersized shorties out there clanking one bomb after another. Their shot count had to be abnormally high, and most clanked. Our 25+ turnovers helped them shoot a ton.

Comment

• Zag509
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                      You think he didn't improve at all during his redshirt season? That's a ridiculous statement. Quite laughable. Everyone needs to work on consistency not just Josh. Yes, Josh can dominate and has.Do you recall the way he was playing before the incident? After being in Mr. Few's doghouse he turned it around quite nicely and was starting to consistently dominate games. And have you watched the NBA lately? Consistency is not a must. Potential and athleticism is!
                      I remember him throwing down a gawdy 0 at Virgina and then screwing his teammates when they needed him most towards the end of the season.

Josh showed glimpses of just how amazing he can be (@ Pepp, UNC, Stanford) and I fully expect him to dominate this year...but he has a ton yet to prove, and many in Zagville still feel betrayed in a way. With this rather large chip on his shoulders, I think Josh is going to tear it up like no other this year. I got him with 21 and 11.

Comment

• bayzag09
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                        Not "dumb" at all. Pepp had a bunch of undersized shorties out there clanking one bomb after another. Their shot count had to be abnormally high, and most clanked. Our 25+ turnovers helped them shoot a ton.
                        Not dumb to his point, but more so that Josh only showed up in "high profile" games. Which a complete fallacy. His point that the only good games he had were against teams that "anyone could get up for". I think duke at MSG was a high profile game, and i guess he didn't get up for it.

Comment

• eastsideballer
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • May 2007

Cocky=Mediocre

It is well known in the circles that Josh is one of the most conceited and cocky players ever to have grace the hardwood at GU. I am of firm belief that in order to be the type of player that dominates games consistently you need to be of a different mindset. Granted most successful players are confident but Josh has a rep for being just plain self centered. I truly believe that Josh has the tools to be one of the premier players in the country but in order to get to that point he needs to become more team oriented and give 100% of himself to the game every night.

Comment

• bayzag09
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

They said all of that about Morrison too, just to let you know

Comment

• sonuvazag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eastsideballer View Post
                              It is well known in the circles that Josh is one of the most conceited and cocky players ever to have grace the hardwood at GU.
                              Interesting. I've noticed that most people who claim inside connections say the opposite. They usually say he is misunderstood and more committed to success than we would imagine.

What circles do you mean?

To the original topic, I'm glad to see Pargo speaking up and building excitement about new players like Brown.
                              Agent provocateur

Comment

Working...
                              X