• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BULLDOG#1
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Aug 2011

Bell vs Foster

Can't wait to see how Bell does against Foster. His defense has been fantastic -- and now he goes against a guy who has traditionally given the zags fits...
  • zagfan07
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

+1

I was just thinking about this today. I think GBJ has the perfect skill set to hang with Foster. A bit of a different animal than what we saw with Holloway, who likes to drive alot instead of spotting up from 3 but I think Gary will be up to the challenge.

Fwiw, Foster didn't have a great game at Portland last night and Santa Clara ended up losing to the Pilots. He'll be gunning for us, though. He always seems to shoot it well against the Zags.
    GU Class of '07

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Will Foster was not the player Gary Bell, Jr. is!
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• bballbeachbum
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2008

what a great matchup! there are a couple of other Zag defenders to throw at Foster too, both to help keep GB2 fresh and also to force Foster into adjusting to different guys and having to play against a fresh defender at all times

saw him go off last year vs. GU at the pavilion. Bell is great off the ball making it difficult to even get touches, fighting over screen, thru cuts, hands in the passing lanes, etc.

great test. fun to watch.

Comment

• ZaggyStardust
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Feb 2007

Heister interviewed Bell last night after the game and asked him about Foster. Gary said he had been watching tape and he "would be ready".... He had a glimmer in his eye when he said it!

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Freshman exuberance...Foster's bigger stronger and scores no matter who guards him. I think Gary's preparing but Foster's just one tough nut to crack.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ZaggyStardust View Post
              Heister interviewed Bell last night after the game and asked him about Foster. Gary said he had been watching tape and he "would be ready".... He had a glimmer in his eye when he said it!
              Awesome! My satellite cut away before the interview. Is it possible that Bell actually *likes* playing defense?! :]

Comment

• awberke
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Jan 2010

I've watched SCU a couple times this season and was not overly impressed with foster. He seemed slow inside the arc and was very quick to toss it at the rim from behind it.

But i personally watched him drain about 35 out of 40 threes in warmups at GU last year. I'm actually more worried about roquemore (not worried but you get the idea).

Comment

• sullyzag66
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                  Freshman exuberance...Foster's bigger stronger and scores no matter who guards him. I think Gary's preparing but Foster's just one tough nut to crack.
                  He was pretty ineffective against Portland last. I kept asking, "where's Foster?" The entire team looked out of sync last night. At one point Keating replaced all five starters in one substitution. Not to say they won't ramp it up tonight.

Comment

• SWZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                    Will has the height advantage but Bell has the speed. Will be an intriguing matchup.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

Ahh, Will Foster... I thought he was comparing him to longtime Pacer Jeff Foster, but I didn't see any similarities in their games.
                      "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• rennis
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by awberke View Post
                        But i personally watched him drain about 35 out of 40 threes in warmups at GU last year. I'm actually more worried about roquemore (not worried but you get the idea).
                        That kid gets up for a PG. Not a terribly impressive shooter or passer, but damn he has some athleticism!

GBJ should match up well with Foster. Foster is bigger, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, since mostly all he does is try to spot up. As long as he doesn't lose him by going under screens, GB should be just fine.

Just don't let him heat up...
                        Originally posted by Coach Few
                        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                          Awesome! My satellite cut away before the interview. Is it possible that Bell actually *likes* playing defense?! :]
                          Exactly. Not only does he like it, but he seems excited to shut down the big-time scorers. Love the attitude.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Ziggy
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

No, but he had 17 inches on him !
                            "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

Comment

• BeamerZag
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Jan 2012

Anyone else see him shut Tu Holloway down most of the game? And then hear the announcers continually make excuses for Holloway. 'He doesn't seem to have the energy, he's playing like he's sick, he's missing his shots'

No credit to GB2!

Comment

Working...
                              X