• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Did Monninghoff Earn a Rotation Spot??

I was lucky enough to be at the game. The crowd was really pulling for him. I understand why his minutes dropped off, last year we needed a 3 pt threat, ANY 3 pt threat and were willing to overlook a lot of the other things. This year we don't need another 3 pt threat. But we do need a decent wing.

I followed his game last night. Yes, he knocked down 4 threes and the crowd was really really on his side. But he did a lot more, he was WAY more active on defense, helping to create several turnovers (and this was not all in garbage time) and got some rebounds.

I saw a much more well rounded player. He still has not developed a drive to the paint. But he looked like he has regained his shooting touch. He looked tough on defense, he even went to rebound tough.

I think that unless Carter comes on strong - which is still possible, that 'Hoff will be playing more minutes. I hope so, he looked like a valuable addition to the rotation last night.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

I never understood why he wasn't part of the rotation after game 1. He stretches defenses and plays solid defense. I understand our depth and the need for coach to play his core players, it just seems that 'Hoff really could be valuable down the road given his size and shooting prowess.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• awberke
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2010

I'll give you one thing, he stretches the defense. But any good team puts someone on him and he stands covered in the corner all game.

His defense does look improved, and he really tried last night, but lets not forget how bad pepperdine really is. I think what he earned last night was another shot in the next game, give him MC's minutes til he proves he can hang.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

GBJ was my GUnit but Monninghoff impressed me. He is hustling hard, playing D, rebounding and shooting well. Yes, he had a couple poor turnovers but that is only natural for someone who has barely played. I'm liking his game more.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• zagfan07
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Oct 2007

He also had 4 turnovers in 17 minutes against a horrible Pepperdine team. We've got Hart and Guy at the 3 spot, so I don't see him taking too many minutes away from either of them.
          GU Class of '07

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

He's a zone buster, I'll tell you that.

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

PEP + his parents in town = more run.

I thought he played awfully hard on both ends last night however.
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• awberke
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                He's a zone buster, I'll tell you that.
                It sure doesn't hurt to have a shooter at the 1,2,3 against a 2-3 zone

Comment

• DCZag
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Aug 2009

If he earned the right to play more - he would play more, PERIOD. One stint in extended garbage time doesn't overide what the coaches see everyday in practice. I trust them to put our best on the court...

Comment

• jim77
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

The kid is smooth and has a great stroke. He did play well last night..on both ends. Its nice to have a long wing who can shoot....its great to see him get some minutes.

Comment

• awberke
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DCZag View Post
                      If he earned the right to play more - he would play more, PERIOD. One stint in extended garbage time doesn't overide what the coaches see everyday in practice. I trust them to put our best on the court...
                      QFT. The exception being that hitting shots in a game can be contagious. You won't get caught up in the excitement in practice. There is no question the kid can shoot. I just guarantee he sees a few minutes as a result of last night.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

His defense and rebounding are markedly improved from a year ago. Unfortunately for Hoff, the team is deeper at his position than it was a year ago. He will probably remain third on the depth cart behind Hart and Landry-Edi as a wing. Unless Coach Few decides to use an eleven-man rotation, he's probably the team's best player who won't regularly see the floor.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• BobZag
                          Dark Lord of the Zag
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post

He looks just like his mom.
                          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Colbyspapa
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Jan 2008

I think everyone on this board likes MM. That being said if he gave GU more of a chance to win vs. the other guys, he would play more. Hart (runs the offense and defense exactly how coach Few wants it run. Carter and Edi have more talent and obviously perform better in practice than MM. They compete every time they practice and play for time on the court. I am glad he did well last night, but in a tight game, I see us going 8 deep, maybe 9. Dower, Stockton, Edi, Carter off the bench. Although if things don't change, Marquise will see less and less time with Spangler getting a look only until Rob is back on track.

Comment

• Knotsolucky
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post

Agreed...

AND...

Knowing that against Pepperdine both he and Keita would most likely get substantial minutes, I watched both kids closely in the pre-game shoot-around. I would Guesstamate that 95% of MM's shots dropped in. HE WAS FEELING IT!!! He also passed a time or two when he was open. It was fun watching him...

Comment

Working...
                              X