PDA

View Full Version : About Grant Gibbs' decision to wait

BobZag
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I think it is a really smart and prudent move by Grant. He is receiving a good amount of pressure to stay close to home, and that's totally understable and normal, it's to be expected. There is no need to rush a decision that will determine where one spends most of the next four years, it's a big important decision not to be made hastily.

And not hurrying things tells me that Gibbs is being smart about his recruitment. Too many recruits (and coaches) make decisions too quickly and either have to back-track or regret it.

Grant grew up a Zags fan. He and his mother liked Gonzaga. The PG situation at Gonzaga is nearly perfect for him in 2008. Only some WCC games are on ESPN late (Big Monday), and virtually all games can be seen nationwide on FSN. When he arrives the Zags will be top-5 to top-10.

PGs are supposed to be smart decision-makers. Gibbs is proving he is just that by making sure of his decision.

I stand by Gibbs becoming a Zag. Nothing has changed.

cggonzaga
07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks Bob as always.

azzagfan
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
BZ, I'm interested to know how to see all those FSN games nationwide, because in AZ (not in FSN NW), we only get U of A or ASU, and if they aren't playing, we get PAC-10 games. I saw Wazzu many more times than GU on FSN (the only GU game I did see was the PAC-10 game against Stanford).

ZagNut08
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
depending on your cable/sattelite provider you can often pick up the fox sports package which includes all regions

thickman1
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
depending on your cable/sattelite provider you can often pick up the fox sports package which includes all regions

This is exactly right. I watched every game this last year and I'm in Wisconsin.

wiszag
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I live in Madison and I saw almost all the games.

I wonder if this means that Wisconsin is back in the picture. Either Wisconsin or Gonzaga would be fine with me. I wonder how much the Badgers having Bohannon, who went to the same high school as Gibbs, on the roster has factored into the recruitment. Bohannon played quite a bit as a freshman.

wiszag

drnoe
07-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Grant grew up a Zags fan. He and his mother liked Gonzaga. The PG situation at Gonzaga is nearly perfect for him in 2008. Only some WCC games are on ESPN late (Big Monday), and virtually all games can be seen nationwide on FSN. When he arrives the Zags will be top-5 to top-10.

Bob,

I never really thought about how often the Zags games are televised...damn near every game, accessible coast-to-coast. But I still get pissed whenever they aren't televised! You're correct about the Zags being a top-5 to top-10 team in two years. We should be thankful to be in the running for players like Gibbs. Landing players like him will keep the pipeline flowing for years to come.

LynetteG
07-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Bob,

I never really thought about how often the Zags games are televised...damn near every game, accessible coast-to-coast. But I still get pissed whenever they aren't televised!

Except for the first two preseason games last year (Augustana and Warner Pacific) ALL Zag games were televised. It also says all games are televised in their media guide.

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/gonz-m-baskbl-sched.html

BobZag
07-10-2007, 08:19 AM
GoZags probably knows but I think Gonzaga is one of only five programs that has such a great TV package. Maryland, UConn, Duke, maybe one other.

My dad is in Lake Havasu City, AZ, during basketball season. He has Dish Network. He watches every game. Birddog knows DirectTV is a good way to go, too.

Back to Gibbs... Honestly, I'd rather see him wait a little longer and make sure he makes the right choice for him than have him commit only to decommit way too late for the staff to go to any backup plan. Whether he chooses Gonzaga or Iowa State, it doesn't matter, just that he makes a solid commitment that he's 110% comfortable with. Deep down he knows where he wants to go.

ZaggyStardust
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere that only Duke has more games on ESPN than Gonzaga. I think it was actually in an ESPN article. That is quite amazing when you think about it!!!!

BBskorer
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Gibbs' careful consideration.

...can be a little more appreciated after reading this (http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2007/07/the-momo-jones-.html#more) . Not to say "de-de-commits" are the norm, but still...

MickMick
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
From an Iowa board:

The problem is, the University of Iowa should be the FIRST choice for every in-state kid that didn't grow up in Ames, and even some that did. There's no question Alford missed (or didn't try) on some Iowa kids that definitely could have helped.

Gibbs is a POINT guard, not a shooting guard. He's one of the top 20 in the nation at his position, and his coach... who has now put 5 players into D-1 hoops in the last 3 years, says Gibbs has the best basketball mind of any player he's ever coached.

Gibbs lives half an hour from Carver-Hawkeye. There should be no doubt about him going to Iowa. Alford & Neal were too interested in big name guys outside the state who were marginal students, at best.

McKowen is the state's all-time leading scorer, and that doesn't even merit an offer? He sure would have helped last year.

Stout was a stud and could have played for anybody in the Big 10. Iowa should not be missing out on home grown kids. Lickliter needs to end this trend. Quickly.

applezag
07-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree that it is wise to be patient with this. Too many guys get ahead of themselves and committ early to somewhere they don't really want to be. That being said, could he wait himself out of a scholarship? If the offer is on the table now, but someone else signs, could it mean he can't go to GU?

BobZag
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree that it is wise to be patient with this. Too many guys get ahead of themselves and committ early to somewhere they don't really want to be. That being said, could he wait himself out of a scholarship? If the offer is on the table now, but someone else signs, could it mean he can't go to GU?

In this case, I don't think so. Clarke and Jackson are the only others offered and Clarke won't visit until sometime in August and he won't decide until around Labor Day, and Jackson will most likely take an official visit after school starts. Plus, Gibbs is flat out good.

wazZag
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
What are Gibbs major strengths? Scout lists "Poise" and "Size for Position" which mean more or less nothing to me. Presumably he's rated highly and coveted for a reason (or several). What are they?

BobZag
07-11-2007, 04:33 PM
What are Gibbs major strengths? Scout lists "Poise" and "Size for Position" which mean more or less nothing to me. Presumably he's rated highly and coveted for a reason (or several). What are they?

He's just an all-around good player. He shoots it good enough. He's a very good passer. Has a high hoops IQ and a good feel/unfderstanding of the game. I liken him to Blake Stepp in almost every way.

wazZag
07-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks BZ.