• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Hart in 2012-13?

I am a little surprised I have not seen any commentary around here as to whether there is any basis to assume that Mike Hart would come back as a 5th year senior, is a fact set in stone. He redshirted as a freshman. Academically he is a senior right now. I further assume that since he went to Jesuit High in Portland he must have something on the ball academically, so he likely is on schedule to graduate this spring (don't know his major). Normally for a scholarship player that is no big issue. But Mike Hart is a non-scholarship player right now. He has had scholarship status only part of his time here when guys have transferred out (like Keegan Hyland) and there was an open schollie.

You also have to factor in it costs around 35k a year in tuition alone at GU (and I don't know if athletes technically can get regular financial aid under NCAA rules), and you can see the basis for my question. That is a lot of dough for the average walk-on. Maybe if he is in a grad program it costs less. You also have to figure that Sarbaugh and Dranginis at the very least (without any new recruits) want some playing time.

I have no idea if he is in a major where jobs are scarce or plentiful right now.

Thus, I ask if anybody really has any nuggets of wisdom on this issue.
  • GoGU
    Kennel Club
    • Nov 2011

He's a Business Administration major, so unless he decides to go for his MBA, I doubt he'd stay enrolled as a graduate. That being said, I have no idea what he is thinking.

Men's Division I basketball gets 13 scholarships. I don't think you can split them. We can expect Pangos, Bell, Dower, Olynyk, Spangler, Sarbaugh, Dranginis, and Stockton back. I can't remember if Stockton is on scholarship right now or not. We're not sure if Harris will be back either. Edi will probably be back. MM and Keita are questionable. We know for sure that Carter and Sacre are gone. So minimum 2 scholarships are available. We know that 8 will almost certainly be taken (10 with Harris and Edi), and we still haven't thought about incoming freshmen and transfers. I don't think it's realistic for us to consider Hart as a scholarship player next year unless Harris and Mathis^2 leave.
    sigpic

The Gus Johnson Soundboard

Comment

• btzag
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

Based on what Hart brings to this team, and has earned, he deserves a scholly this year and next. I don't care what the potential is of certain players, scholarships are given for athletes to perform on the court and he is a starter or the first or second guy off the bench. No way it should even be a question.

Comment

• CB4
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2009

These things work themselves out. Hart will be back and on scholarship next year.

Comment

• americasteam
          Kennel Club
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GoGU View Post
          He's a Business Administration major, so unless he decides to go for his MBA, I doubt he'd stay enrolled as a graduate. That being said, I have no idea what he is thinking.

Men's Division I basketball gets 13 scholarships. I don't think you can split them. We can expect Pangos, Bell, Dower, Olynyk, Spangler, Sarbaugh, Dranginis, and Stockton back. I can't remember if Stockton is on scholarship right now or not. We're not sure if Harris will be back either. Edi will probably be back. MM and Keita are questionable. We know for sure that Carter and Sacre are gone. So minimum 2 scholarships are available. We know that 8 will almost certainly be taken (10 with Harris and Edi), and we still haven't thought about incoming freshmen and transfers. I don't think it's realistic for us to consider Hart as a scholarship player next year unless Harris and Mathis^2 leave.
          Don't count Sarbaugh in your scholarship count, as he is not on athletic scholarship.
          If it's at all possible, I would like to see Hart back, and on scholarship.

Comment

• GoGU
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2011

Whoops didn't realize that about Sarbaugh. Don't get me wrong, I totally think Hart deserves a scholarship.
            sigpic

The Gus Johnson Soundboard

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2009

Do athletes have to be enrolled full time? GU is way less than 35K if you only take 3-6 credits a semester.

Comment

• kramzag
                Bulldog Fan
                • Nov 2011

Regardless, we'll be better off with him. He brings back good memories of Pendo diving on the floor.

Comment

• FlyZag
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FieldHouseFishHouse View Post
                  Do athletes have to be enrolled full time? .
                  Yes, per NCAA rules

Comment

In an interview, Hart mentioned that they were talking about him coming back next year. This thread is the first mention of him coming back that I have seen since then.

Comment

• cjm720
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Interesting topic. I hadn't thought about this. I imagine both Few and Hart want him on the floor next year. We have more players than schollies....it'll work out somehow.
                      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by btzag View Post
                        Based on what Hart brings to this team, and has earned, he deserves a scholly this year and next. I don't care what the potential is of certain players, scholarships are given for athletes to perform on the court and he is a starter or the first or second guy off the bench. No way it should even be a question.
                        Wait, what?! You give the schollies to the best players you can get. If he brings something that Few feels is more valuable than any other incoming player, he'll give Hart the nod.

This "favorite stuffed animal, warm-fuzzy, feel-good" crap isn't going to help GU keep advancing and progressing. You get the best 13 guys in schollies, and you put the best of those on the court.

I'll never understand how we have this almost self-cannibalizing loyalty to concepts that are a degradation to the objective at hand.

Comment

• JLGutrocks
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Sarbaugh has a legacy scolarship. Doesn't count against the 13.
                          “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Unless Hart is totally burned out on academics, he would be crazy to forego another year suiting up and getting significant playing time. I would expect him to go for the MBA and the memories of a lifetime playing for the Zags next year. If, as some/many state, only the best players/recruits should be offered schollarships, there are several current schollarship players that would, I think, get bounced before Hart.

Comment

• duper
                              Kennel Club
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JLGutrocks View Post
                              Sarbaugh has a legacy scolarship. Doesn't count against the 13.
                              Sarbaugh does not count against GU scholarship numbers but it should be noted that this is not an automatic exclusion. If his father had not been a full time employee for over 5 years his scholarship would have counted. Thats to stop the hiring of parents just to get the player.

Comment

Working...
                              X