• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagAddict
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Other Jesuit Schools v GU

I thought a GU v Xavier series would be good to continue until we discovered that they are self-proclaimed "thugs". I'd like to see us dump Xavier and start a home-home series with Marquette instead. Georgetown would also be a GREAT series to see. Midwest and East coast exposure would be good for the program...

What other Jesuits schools would people like to see GU play in a home-home series?
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ZagAddict View Post
    I thought a GU v Xavier series would be good to continue until we discovered that they are self-proclaimed "thugs". I'd like to see us dump Xavier and start a home-home series with Marquette instead. Georgetown would also be a GREAT series to see. Midwest and East coast exposure would be good for the program...

What other Jesuits schools would people like to see GU play in a home-home series?
    Boston College, Villanova, Dayton, St. Joe's, St. John's, and pretty much any other BCS-League/A-10 Catholic school seems like a good idea for a home and home series to me.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Booster
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2010

Don't forget Georgetown. That would be a great home and home.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
        Bleeds Bulldog Blue
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Booster View Post
        Don't forget Georgetown. That would be a great home and home.
        Georgetown was booked for the BIS a few years ago and backed out; Tennessee was the replacement.
        You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Bing
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Correction

Originally posted by ZagAddict View Post

They aren't self proclaimed "thugs".

They are self proclaimed "Gangsta-teers"

I know GU has been close a couple of times to scheduling GU (Georgetown) -- I always liked the St. Joe's series, St. Louis could be brought back, and I wouldn't mind going to Boston again (where the Zags beat UConn a few years ago).

But I agree, enough with the Gangsta-teers.
          gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• DCZag
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Aug 2009

How 'bout Creighton?

Comment

• ZagAddict
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I like the idea of playing against Marquette for recruiting exposure in the midwest. Games against Illinois and Notre Dame in the midwest recently were also good exposure. A Georgetown home-home series would be awesome. I'd love to see that come to fruition and get more exposure on the east coast.

A series against Creighton doesn't really excite me, but that just my personal opinion.

Comment

• Zag@LMU
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by DCZag View Post
                How 'bout Creighton?
                not to take a power school mentality, but not enough incentive to book them over a better team. We win, and we beat some overranked mid major. We lose...well...

To answer the OP, I say G-Town and Nova home and home, split though. So one season we play @Nova/vs. G-Town, and the next, we play vs.Nova/@Gtown
                "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

Really like Creighton, but I think that game risks becoming another bracket buster.
                  'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• johno
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2008

I really like a Georgetown home and home.

Comment

• adoptedzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I second the Creighton nomination so that we can spank Gibbs for bolting.

I realize that it was a good move for him, I just harbor some.... I don't know if resentment is the word.... but animosity towards him for bailing and leaving us in a lurch.

Comment

• SLOZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Lurch?

Originally posted by adoptedzag View Post
                        I just harbor some.... animosity towards [Gibbs] for bailing and leaving us in a lurch.
                        I'll take this lurch any time!
                        SLOZag
                        "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• zag4life2011
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Aug 2011

There are definitely some that would be fun to see just for a change of pace (if they were having one of their good years) but I don't think are worth the risk to schedule:

St. Louis, Iona, St. Bonaventure, Nova, Duquesne, Siena, Fordham, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Creighton, BC

Those are all Catholic schools that have had good teams in the somewhat recent past. Certainly wins over them don't necessarily look great in bad years (save a few) and loses would definitely hurt.

There are those that wouldn't look so bad: Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame

Wasn't there talk last year about Seattle U trying to put together a 4-team "All Jesuit" tourny with Gonzaga, Georgetown and another school?

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

I'd like to see a series with St. Johns. SJU in the Arena for Ronald McDonald, GU v. SJU in Madison Square Garden.
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                              I'd like to see a series with St. Johns. SJU in the Arena for Ronald McDonald, GU v. SJU in Madison Square Garden.
                              +1
                              No bigger stage than MSG.

Comment

Working...
                              X