PDA

View Full Version : GU and the WCC

bigblahla
12-27-2011, 07:32 AM
It's conference time. The addition of BYU to the WCC makes for what may be the most competitive race for the regular season conference title since the beginning of "the Streak".

Having SMC and BYU go head to head out of the blocks will be an eye opener as to what our stiffest competition looks like. The WCC has proven time and time again that on any given night the unexpected can and will happen. It is going to be a fun ride with number 12 as a reward for our Zags.

Let's start things out right by hammering the Pilots at home.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

kitzbuel
12-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Let's start things out right by hammering the Pilots at home.

Go!! Zags!!!

This.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
While I agree that this season might be the most competitive we've seen the league, last year was pretty trying as well. We cannot overlook the bottom of the wcc

Last year was a result of us sinking down to the rest of the league more than the league improving.

DCZag
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Here's to grabbing the conference by the b@!!$ from the start and not digging ourselves another hole like last year...

BayAreaZag
12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Last year was a result of us sinking down to the rest of the league more than the league improving.

I don't agree 100%. The league did improve last year. USF improved drastically, Santa Clara shaped up and won a postseason title (albeit not an important one), and Portland had a veteran team led by Sikma.

This year, USF sits at 9-4 and played undefeated and ranked Murray State close, narrowly losing by 3. Playing at these away venues will be tough. In the last few years when I've gone to see Gonzaga / USF in San Francisco, the Dons have more than held their own.

While it will be challenging, the Zags have improved a lot over the summer as well. Starts with Portland, one win at a time.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't agree 100%. The league did improve last year. USF improved drastically, Santa Clara shaped up and won a postseason title (albeit not an important one), and Portland had a veteran team led by Sikma.

This year, USF sits at 9-4 and played undefeated and ranked Murray State close, narrowly losing by 3. Playing at these away venues will be tough. In the last few years when I've gone to see Gonzaga / USF in San Francisco, the Dons have more than held their own.

While it will be challenging, the Zags have improved a lot over the summer as well. Starts with Portland, one win at a time.

I think the league improved last year, but the improvement was greatly exaggerated by how stagnant we became offensively with Meech. We took a step back to the rest of the league. I was hoping the WCC would make another leap this year, but it's yet to be seen.

Isn't 9-4 actually a terrible record for USF seeing as a probable 13 or 14 seed on a neutral court is their toughest game? USF has only played 3 away games at Montana, Holy Cross (L) and at Seattle.. not so tough. Always a tough game down there, I remember the obvious goal tend that we lost on two years ago and the continuation last year.

BayAreaZag
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I think the league improved last year, but the improvement was greatly exaggerated by how stagnant we became offensively with Meech. We took a step back to the rest of the league. I was hoping the WCC would make another leap this year, but it's yet to be seen.

Isn't 9-4 actually a terrible record for USF seeing as a probable 13 or 14 seed on a neutral court is their toughest game? USF has only played 3 away games at Montana, Holy Cross (L) and at Seattle.. not so tough. Always a tough game down there, I remember the obvious goal tend that we lost on two years ago and the continuation last year.

Could have been exaggerated but I do think USF, Santa Clara at least have improved. We'll see soon enough.

RenoZag
12-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Article Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/28/SPRL1MH4SH.DTL)

Bill Clinton was president. The Giants had yet to play a game in the ballpark across from McCovey Cove. A guard by the name of Rex Walters had just finished his NBA career.

It was early in the year 2000, and Pepperdine had won the WCC regular-season title. That's the last time Gonzaga failed to claim at least a share of that championship.

Zag4Hire
12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
In the last few years when I've gone to see Gonzaga / USF in San Francisco, the Dons have more than held their own.

A bit of an understatement considering USF has won the last two games at War Memorial. Even The People's Challenger, SMC, can't say that.

Statistical analysis and personnel breakdowns go out the window against the WCC foes. It truly is their Super Bowl when Gonzaga comes to town and they will fight tooth and nail to not only be competitive but win.

Hoopaholic
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
"but the improvement was greatly exaggerated by how stagnant we became offensively with Meech".....

Facts tell a different story no matter how much you want to twist your opinion....

This year we are 90th best in points scored at 73.7 per game
LAST YEAR we wwere 23 best in points scored at 76.7 per game

This year we are 162nd in assists at 13.2 per game
LAST YEAR we weree 33rd best in assists at 15.3 per game

This year we are 113th best in shooting per game at .4545
LAST YEAR we were tied for 8th best at .479%

3 major offensive categories each better last year than we are SO FAR this year ( believe we will continue to improve but to claim this years offense is better than last years offense is simply not accurate).

I might agree that this years offense seems to FLOW and have more FLUIDITY to it than last year at times, but as far as pure offensive production numbers last year was better than this years team SO FAR

Zagdawg
12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Comparing last season to first 11 games can be a bit misleading.

We are about to enter what some would consider the "softer part of our schedule" with our team finally at full strength (Edi yes-- hopefully Rob also).

The So Far comment at the end of the post is accurate.

As our freshman get more comfortable -- we will see additional inprovements overall as a team.

We have a fun ride coming --lets enjoy it while we can.

Go Zags.

DADoZAG
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Article Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/28/SPRL1MH4SH.DTL)

Interesting this article originated in San Fran, as the Dons may be the key to continuing GU’s WCC title streak.

If GU, SMC and BYU can all hold serve at home and not get surprised, SMC will actually lead the league most of the year because of the way the schedule (”http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/wcc-announces-2011-12-men%E2%80%99s-basketball-television-schedule”) is laid out. And, be prepared, as GU may be in third place most of the season.

But we all know that there WILL BE those away games that surprise. Small gyms, bad lighting, and rowdy oversold crowds litter the WCC, not to mention the officiating. My anticipation is that GU, with their depth, is better suited to handle those away games, just slightly better than SMC and most assuredly better than BYU. Rose’s boys are going to be in for a few surprises, the first being tomorrow night (@ SMC) and the last being on Feb 16th (@ USF).

Which surprise team will make the brightest streak in the sky before burning up and crashing to earth in the WCC tourney? It might just be USF.

Hope the ZAGS are prepared, and my biggest fear is still the trap set for the ZAGS on Feb 25th, the night SMC finally drops out of first place. Go USF (except on Feb 18th that is)!

Go ZAGS!

Colbyspapa
12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Guys, we will see what we have the first time Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell step onto the floor at St. Mary's or USF. They have not played in that type of environment where the students are on the floor and crazed out of their minds in a little box gym. I am not worried about BYU. It's a huge arena and based on what we saw against Arizona, they will do fine even with a hostile crowd. But in the WCC, the fans are on top of you, it is hot, and the pressure and expectation is crazy. While we may have played better athletes to this point, these are real teams that pass the ball well and execute. I'm very excited for these games and they are always closer than expected. I'm even worried about my $66 fake bet that the zags will cover tonight with the line at 21.5.

Baseline
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I have seen 2 games of BYU's so far and I'm impressed. Their California tranfer Calino (sp) is real, he will be good.
I'm the most worried about BYU and USF. We match up better against SMC, but USF guards are a problem and their center is starting to get it together. It will be a fun year, I think the Zags can win, but there will be some epic battles.

thickman1
12-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I'll be curious to see if BYU will draw folks to the game. Only GU gets the crowds on the road. Can't wait to see if SMC packs the gym tomorrow.

RenoZag
12-28-2011, 07:09 PM
SMC should be an SRO crowd.

Hoopaholic
12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I and 3 other hard core zag fans will be part of that SRO, but we have seats.....and then to LMU....going to be a barn burner

Once and Future Zag
12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
"but the improvement was greatly exaggerated by how stagnant we became offensively with Meech".....

Facts tell a different story no matter how much you want to twist your opinion....

This year we are 90th best in points scored at 73.7 per game
LAST YEAR we wwere 23 best in points scored at 76.7 per game

This year we are 162nd in assists at 13.2 per game
LAST YEAR we weree 33rd best in assists at 15.3 per game

This year we are 113th best in shooting per game at .4545
LAST YEAR we were tied for 8th best at .479%

3 major offensive categories each better last year than we are SO FAR this year ( believe we will continue to improve but to claim this years offense is better than last years offense is simply not accurate).

I might agree that this years offense seems to FLOW and have more FLUIDITY to it than last year at times, but as far as pure offensive production numbers last year was better than this years team SO FAR

Those are tempo-dependant stats you cited.

Last year at about this time we were sitting at 42nd in the NCAA in offensive efficiency, right now we're at 14th. So relative to quality of competition we're much better right now.

RenoZag
12-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I and 3 other hard core zag fans will be part of that SRO, but we have seats.....and then to LMU....going to be a barn burner

Can't wait to read your impressions of both squads, Hoopaholic

DADoZAG
12-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Can't wait to read your impressions of both squads, Hoopaholic

+1

Your impressions are anxiously awaited!

Go ZAGS!