PDA

View Full Version : wd zags win pac 12?

jazzdelmar
12-25-2011, 11:36 AM
wd this year's zags win the pac 12? they have already beaten two middle tier teams in the league. assuming 2 or 3 losses, i say yes.

stevet75
12-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I think the Zags COULD win the PAC12, but it definately wouldn't be a slam dunk. I believe they are as good or better than any team in the PAC12, but the conference can be pretty tough on a day to day basis - probably tougher than the WCC by the time the conference schedule gets in full swing.

I think when March rolls around the Zags would be a decided favorite, but could slip up early, in conference play.

In summary I would think the Zags would have to be the favorite, but wouldn't be surprised if they slipped a notch or two.

MDABE80
12-25-2011, 12:40 PM
We might be best in the West this year. I don't see much from the Pac this year. Cal, Stanford...yes we would be in the top 3 and yes, we could win the PAC. Time will tell.
I'm surious to see how the kids do against X. Defense wins it....and the battle will be won or lost with the guards and defense.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I think so. Who's better? Arizona? UDub? Stanford? Nope.

DixieZag
12-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I think we beat (and fairly handily) the favorite going into league play. I don't see a team that is better than Arizona; Stanford just got beat by Butler at home - UCLA has been beaten by everyone, nearly. Cal - maybe. WSU may have as good as shot as anyone, they have been beating up on teams lately. UW could turn it around very quickly.

Probably favorite going into it. Arizona, UW, Cal would have to be favorites, right?

Johnnygu
12-25-2011, 01:58 PM
wd this year's zags win the pac 12?... i say yes.

Yes, and I don't think may pac-12 fans would disagree at this point. Except for Huskies fans of course.

maynard g krebs
12-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Pac 12 yes. Mountain West no. UNLV is best in the west, hands down.

Bogozags
12-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Pac 12 yes. Mountain West no. UNLV is best in the west, hands down.

Agree, we would win the P12, if we could stay healthy. I don't see how P12, at this present time, be a multi-league team for the Dance in March BUT they will more than likely send three teams.

The MWC has the best team in the west: UNLV, SDSU, GU, LBSU, BYU, USF, New Mexico, UCSB, CAL and UW.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, the Zags would win it easily. The same would happen most years, especially if the Zags got PAC 12 caliber recruits. Gonzaga has a record of 23-13 against the PAC 12 since the beginning of the 98-99 season.

Bulldog
12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Pac 12 not so good this year. I remember the UCLA's, Arizona's, Stanford's, etc all dominating. This year nothing.

titopoet
12-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I just want GU to win the WCC. Many commentators are saying the WCC is probably better than the Pac-12 this year. BYU, and SMC could challenge for the Pac-12, and none of the Pac-12 teams could run away from the WCC. Arizona may well win the Pac-12, and would probably have more trouble finishing top three the WCC.

The rich cousin, Pac-12 is down on his luck, and the WCC, the young gun, is now the Nouveau Riche of GU, SMC and BYU.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-26-2011, 01:40 PM
BYU, and SMC could challenge for the Pac-12...

MAYBE BYU, but SMC would get killed in the PAC 12. I say they would struggle to win 8 games in it this year. Everyone is so quick to put SMC on our level when they are nowhere near deserving of such recognition.

maynard g krebs
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
MAYBE BYU, but SMC would get killed in the PAC 12. I say they would struggle to win 8 games in it this year. Everyone is so quick to put SMC on our level when they are nowhere near deserving of such recognition.

People (well, Husky fans anyway, if that qualifies) said similar things about them the year they went back east and took out Richmond and Villanova to make the S16.

I'd say SMC is better than UW, WSU, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, USC, UCLA, Arizona State. And on the same level as the other 4 pac 10 teams. I bet they'll give GU a better game that Zona did.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-26-2011, 09:29 PM
People (well, Husky fans anyway, if that qualifies) said similar things about them the year they went back east and took out Richmond and Villanova to make the S16.

I'd say SMC is better than UW, WSU, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, USC, UCLA, Arizona State. And on the same level as the other 4 pac 10 teams. I bet they'll give GU a better game that Zona did.

I couldn't see SMC beating WSU or UW, but that's my opinion vs. yours. I just feel like this is what they want.. to play one or two games against tough OOC competition and have people assume they are good based on decent outcomes.

SMC might give us a couple good games every year, but it's because we are worn down and exposed constantly on national TV (against good competition) and their goal for the season is basically to look respectable in their games against the Zags.

We play anywhere from 4-10 games per year against BCS schools (97 total since 1998-99, usually very close to the opponent's campus) and SMC plays 1-3 per year, often at home against lesser competition than us (Seton Hall, Oregon, struggling StJohn's in the last 4 years) and if they win one they are considered just as much as us for an at large even if we win 4 or 5 tough non conference games. Notice they almost never play BCS teams on the road: they have played 3 OOC games against BCS teams away from Moraga in the last 5 seasons.

blah blah SMC hating rant... my point is that SMC does not have the depth or proven road winning ability to even hint they could compete for a BCS conference title. I just find it ridiculous to think they could win the PAC 12.

BayAreaZag
12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Zags would def challenge, if not win the Pac-12 regular season title, in the conference tourney anything can happen.

As for SMC in the Pac-12, I think they can hold their own and be among the top three this year. At home, they would be very tough to beat, and they can take some wins away (my guess Arizona State, Oregon, USC, etc). It's going to be interesting to see how SMC plays BYU on the 29th. Have my tickets ready to go!

rijman
12-27-2011, 08:12 AM
The AP poll today includes no Pac-12 or WCC teams in the top 25, when was the last time that happened? UNLV is the highest ranked team in the west followed by San Diego State. The WCC's record against the Pac-12 is good this year but the Mountain West had dominated the Pac-12 through 12/19/11 with a 10-2 record. Here's an article about the Mountain West versus other conferences, http://www.themwc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121911aaj.html, the MW has the 3rd best non conference winning %. I agree with the previous opinion the Zags could win the Pac-12 this season, but winning the Mountain West would be more challenging.

maynard g krebs
12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I couldn't see SMC beating WSU or UW, but that's my opinion vs. yours. I just feel like this is what they want.. to play one or two games against tough OOC competition and have people assume they are good based on decent outcomes.

SMC might give us a couple good games every year, but it's because we are worn down and exposed constantly on national TV (against good competition) and their goal for the season is basically to look respectable in their games against the Zags.

We play anywhere from 4-10 games per year against BCS schools (97 total since 1998-99, usually very close to the opponent's campus) and SMC plays 1-3 per year, often at home against lesser competition than us (Seton Hall, Oregon, struggling StJohn's in the last 4 years) and if they win one they are considered just as much as us for an at large even if we win 4 or 5 tough non conference games. Notice they almost never play BCS teams on the road: they have played 3 OOC games against BCS teams away from Moraga in the last 5 seasons.

blah blah SMC hating rant... my point is that SMC does not have the depth or proven road winning ability to even hint they could compete for a BCS conference title. I just find it ridiculous to think they could win the PAC 12.

Didn't say they could win the Pac-10, just that they'd do a lot better than 8-10. More in the 11-7 to 13-5 range imo. Pac is just the slightest shade better than the WCC this year; basically equal. IMO your hate is getting the better of your judgment. As to UW/WSU, I think SMC probably splits a home/home with either.

Bogozags
12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The AP poll today includes no Pac-12 or WCC teams in the top 25, when was the last time that happened? UNLV is the highest ranked team in the west followed by San Diego State. The WCC's record against the Pac-12 is good this year but the Mountain West had dominated the Pac-12 through 12/19/11 with a 10-2 record. Here's an article about the Mountain West versus other conferences, http://www.themwc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121911aaj.html, the MW has the 3rd best non conference winning %. I agree with the previous opinion the Zags could win the Pac-12 this season, but winning the Mountain West would be more challenging.

+1

So far this year, MWC is the toughest conference in the West. I don't know where we would finish at the end of the season, if we were members - probably 3rd to 4th place. UNLV, SDSU, UNM and Wyoming are pretty darn good teams. Imo GU, BYU or SMC would not fare as well in the MWC.

Think we would more than likely lose five to seven conference games and SMC would more than likely lose eight to 10 and BYU would probably lose three to five games.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-27-2011, 08:23 PM
IMO your hate is getting the better of your judgment.

That's definitely your opinion, because I thought I backed up my point fairly well. They haven't gone on the road and won more than one tough game per year, if any (they lost at SAN DIEGO LAST YEAR) so you're giving them way too much credit IMO.

TheCroatian
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes

WallaWallaZag
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
That's definitely your opinion, because I thought I backed up my point fairly well. They haven't gone on the road and won more than one tough game per year, if any (they lost at SAN DIEGO LAST YEAR) so you're giving them way too much credit IMO.

the zags aren't exactly road warriors either this year...only 2 and already lost the 1st one to an illinois team that has looked mediocre since that game. smc also did handle eastern a lot easier than the zags did, though you can always point to the regional rivalry as an excuse.

cjm720
12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't think I recall a worse Pac 10/12. A two bid league, max, at this point.

We would definitely win the league IMO...the tourney's another thing.

rennis
12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
I don't think I recall a worse Pac 10/12. A two bid league, max, at this point.

The funny thing is that, as in most years, the PAC 10 will get far fewer teams into the dance than most big conferences, but at least two of them will make legit runs. Probably running over Big East teams in the process.

I don't care how "down" they are...