Looking Ahead--Xavier game.....Is it a trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ezag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Looking Ahead--Xavier game.....Is it a trap?

X now has lost 3 in a row including to Oral Roberts and Hawaii, they should be at full strength again when we play them, but now are we expected to win? Funny how the turn of events in a couple of weeks can completely 180 a team. They will have a chip on their shoulders. Sounds like it could be a trap! I am excited about the game but also a little nervous for some reason. I like it better when we're the underdog playing a top 20 team.
  • NEC26
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I liked our chances all along but their losing streak means they will want a win pretty bad. Really wish they hadn't lost those games. Takes away from a win and makes them hungrier.

Comment

• Gonzdb8
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

X will be at full strength, playing at home and desperate for a win. i don't like it.

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

its not a trap; it was going to be a hard game before the brawl and suspensions and losses, and its going to be a hard game now. We are the underdogs in this one.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2011

The only traps are the ones we set for ourselves. Getting overconfident and trying to speed up play above our abilities as a team.

Keep it slow, methodical and defense oriented and we will beat anyone in the country.

We can't run and gun efficiently yet.
          “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Baldwinzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

This game sure changed in a hurry.

Before the season started, I mentioned X would be a Top-10 team and one of the best chances for a signature win.

We still need this game and will be excited to play/watch it, yet the media has been hammering Xavier lately and sending the message, "this is not the same team" mantra.

While I agree with the sentiment, they'll be full-strength, at-home, and still Top-10 talent in their backcourt and most likely make noise in their Conference and by the time March rolls around.

Unfortunately, most media outlets have reported or presume they'll still have suspended players when we face them.

In their loss last night, they blew a 15 pt lead late in the 2nd half and Tu Holloway still scored 26 pts & Lyon 18 pts. Considering Dez Wells(10ppg, 5rpg) is their 3rd leading scorer and returns for our game, its becomes a tough, tough match-up.

Unfortunately, this game has become a somewhat lose-lose game. It'd mean a ton to us and our team to win this game on the road, yet will receive little to no credit from the pundits or NCAA Committee, imho.

While our defense has been much improved, our dribble-drive has been suspect at best, especially Mike Hart & David Stockton -- which both receive a ton of PT, especially on the road. I have zero issues with these two playing significant minutes as they've proven their worth, ability, and skill as major contributors to this team. However, X has an unreal ability(best in nation?) at attacking perimeter defenders with Holloway, Lyons, & Wells. All strong, athletic, fast, terrific play-makers, scorers in their backcourt. We'll have the rebounding, size, and play-making advantage up front, yet our point of attack defense really concerns me this game.

I expect GBJ to play 38+ minutes on Lyons/Holloway, Pangos should do OK on TU, & the match-up worth watching will be Hart on Lyons or Wells, who might be their best raw talented guard.

The good news is, Guy Landry Edi made a defensive appearance vs 'Zona's guards and did quite well. I'm sure he'll have similar results this game.

Elias is the x-factor yet again. They feature an athletic PF & a big-bodied C, yet X is not a very good rebounding team. If committed, we could out-rebound them by double-digits. It'd be nice to see Rob healthy on NYE as well. He defended Frease very well, drew several cheap fouls, and really shut him down which opened up the game for us in the 2nd half. He can do this again, yet depends on his health. Dower has been a revelation as of late, yet seems to struggle a bit vs taller players, thus I'd like to see Sacre protecting the baseline from Wells preferred driving spot and drawing fouls on Frease(keeping him away from the glass as well). I think Elias rises to the challenge/big game once again.

Should be an entertaining game. We have counter strengths to one another and both need a sig win to end our OOC play.

I wish X wouldn't have went from #7 to unranked in the past 2 weeks, yet it is what is...just win.
            “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

It wouldn't be complete without...

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Up late watching XLose in OT. Lyons and Holloway are the two troublemakers.\
                MOuthing off to the refs, protesting every call, arrogant and nasty to other players. I see Tu hasn't learned much from his one game suspension. Tu instigated that fight with his mouth...

I hope we beat these guys. It's a tall order with their talent...even moreso with their newfound motivation. Plus it's on the road at their place. I usually don't focus on personnel or other teams. This one is different though. I don't like them...compared to last year, something happened to the tone of things with X. We have 7 days to prepare.
                I hope Few sends them home that night with a 20 pt loss.

Tough team and it'll be a tough chore. We could sure use Rob healthy again. Those 3 guards of their are lightin quick. I think we can win but it'll be a close one if they get their running game going. I'd really like to beat these guys though.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

This was the kind of game I was worried about when many of the board members were giving Meech a parade out of town. I totally agree with Baldwin that our defense at the point of attack and containing the dribble is a concern going into this one. Maybe Carter puts in a good enough game that we don't need Stockton and Pangos on the floor at the same time with any regularity. I also think it is a big deal for GBJ to stay out of foul trouble- Few has dilemma because he probably matches up best against Tu but he might want to protect him by putting him on Lyons, who in my estimation is a less physical player.

Xavier is a team that doesn't look to have much heart or character right now, but I expect the home crowd to make Xavier a lot tougher. I with the others that really want this win pretty bad, and I do think it is in reach. And I don't want a win against GU to be the catalyst that gets their season back on track.

Comment

• BayAreaZag
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Dec 2011

It is going to be a tough played game, but I see the Zags coming out on top. If Elias can continue his play in his inside / outside game they will have a hard time containing him.

Comment

• roxdoc
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I am amazed that some here make it sound like X has somehow lost their mojo. They were #7 (thats top 10 folks) before their incident. Since then they have not been playing with key players and have lost a few. Guess what? At our game they will have all those people back, be at home, and looking to take the first step at gaining back their top 10 position.

Not saying we can't win but it ain't no trap, and it will be business as usual for the Xmen.

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Zip them up...

Comment

• BayAreaZag
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Dec 2011

This game will also now be a ranked Gonzaga team (I guess) versus an unranked Xavier who is at home, and has lost three straight.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BayAreaZag View Post
                            This game will also now be a ranked Gonzaga team (I guess) versus an unranked Xavier who is at home, and has lost three straight.
                            I don't think the Zags will be ranked, nor should they. Although, sometimes teams "magically appear" ranked in the ESPN rankings at 25 or 24 when they have a big game on ESPN the next week. Could happen.

I don't think it is a lose/lose for GU. Though the country may not be aware of the fact that all the players are back, the committee will and if we win it will be almost as big a win (maybe just as big b/c of their inevitable hunger) if we beat them.

I also don't think Few (and definitely not the team) will have 7 days to prepare; the team left town on the 23 and will be back on the 26th (at least some of them will go home, some who live in Europe or even Toronto (Pangos) may not go home, but they will not be practicing and Few is a total family guy and will definitely take 3 or 4 days off.

But, the same should be true of Xavier. This will be the toughest game of the year, it will take our best effort of the year and we will need to be firing on all cylinders to have a chance. It is possible to come out with a win, but I don't think we would win more than 1 in 4 at their place with that team.

But I also want to win this game more than any other in OOC and I am nearly certain that will be true of the team also.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• BayAreaZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                              I don't think the Zags will be ranked, nor should they. Although, sometimes teams "magically appear" ranked in the ESPN rankings at 25 or 24 when they have a big game on ESPN the next week. Could happen.

I don't think it is a lose/lose for GU. Though the country may not be aware of the fact that all the players are back, the committee will and if we win it will be almost as big a win (maybe just as big b/c of their inevitable hunger) if we beat them.

I also don't think Few (and definitely not the team) will have 7 days to prepare; the team left town on the 23 and will be back on the 26th (at least some of them will go home, some who live in Europe or even Toronto (Pangos) may not go home, but they will not be practicing and Few is a total family guy and will definitely take 3 or 4 days off.

But, the same should be true of Xavier. This will be the toughest game of the year, it will take our best effort of the year and we will need to be firing on all cylinders to have a chance. It is possible to come out with a win, but I don't think we would win more than 1 in 4 at their place with that team.

But I also want to win this game more than any other in OOC and I am nearly certain that will be true of the team also.
                              We'll see about the rankings. For one, Xavier won't be ranked anymore, and the Zags have compiled some decent wins.

I see a close game, but the Zags pulling it out at the end. I'm not sure about the Zags, but in basketball teams I've worked with, they practice most days of the break. It's going to be interesting to see how Xavier reacts to their three loss streak. Just hoping for a clean game between two great programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X