PDA

View Full Version : The offense is really improving

Reborn
12-24-2011, 05:45 AM
It's been wonderful to watch the improvement of Gonzaga's offense this year, and in fact it's been a long time since I've seen a Zag team play so well together offensively. The guys are really buying into Few's offensive system, and are now running the offensive sets that I think Few wants them to run.

I give out big kudos to Harris and Sacre for finally trying to become the passers that they have needed to be in order to make the offense run at it's highest frequency. Its beautiful to watch how the guys are passing the "rock" around the horn, and inside and out. Sometimes I've seen them pass it 9 or 10 times. This is how we play when we play at our best.

I recall Coach Few saying that these guys are really eager to learn, and it's beginning to show. I have seen so much improvement in this team that it's just amazing to me. The Zags finally have the outside shooters to make the offense work consistently. And what is also neat is that there is still room for a lot of improvement. The Zags are a long ways away from being the best that they can be. We will still see a lot of improvement between now and March.

The position that still needs to improve the most is the small forward or the 3. I am hoping that Landry-Edi will develop into the wing player that GU needs in order to beat the best teams In America. IMO, the team right now is not ready to beat the elite teams. They have that much improvement to make. I think Mike Hart is just fine. I love his game and I like his contributions to the team. He is a 17 minutes a game player. What needs to be fixed is who plays those other 23 minutes. The key, I think, will be what becomes of Carter and Landry-Edi. We're only a third of the way into our season, so there is plenty of time to get this worked out. I look forward to the rest of the season to see how this plays out.

Zag Man
12-24-2011, 08:02 AM
It's been wonderful to watch the improvement of Gonzaga's offense this year, and in fact it's been a long time since I've seen a Zag team play so well together offensively. The guys are really buying into Few's offensive system, and are now running the offensive sets that I think Few wants them to run.

I thought this was an excellent assessment of the current Gonzaga team. I too believe that the improvement in the offense has been tremendous since the beginning of the season and a thing of beauty to watch. KP and GBJ are becoming great players and their maturity as freshmen is remarkable. Elias has returned as the beast that he was as a freshman both offensively and defensively. He’s really taking his game to the next level and his leadership has been the key to the team’s success. Rob is a steady force in the middle. I just hope we can get Rob back to full strength soon. I thought his hand was really bothering him in the Air Force game. Sam has filled in nicely for Rob, and he’s showing signs of the great player that I thought he would be this season. Mike Hart has been a great “glue guy” at the 3, but I agree that we need to improve that position the most. I’m still hopeful that MC will get his game together, because he can be a “'show stopper” when he’s playing well. I believe if he concentrates on his defense and taking care of the ball on the offense that he will come out of his slump. He is most productive driving to the rim and getting his points off the charity stripe.

ZagLawGrad
12-24-2011, 10:19 AM
If Carter could get his "O" going, and Bell shoot some more, it would be really solid.

caduceus
12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Kenpom has our offensive efficiency at 15th in the nation...pretty good.

Defensively, as of today we're 84th, so there is definitely room to improve there.

roxdoc
12-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Wonder what our offensive efficiency was at this point last year?

Once and Future Zag
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
About this time last year we were sitting at 27th in Offense and 79th in Defense per kenpom's numbers.

(looked back at one of my old posts on 12/23)

DixieZag
12-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I always hesitate to take a conference game lightly, no matter WHO we play, but it seems to me that it would make sense to keep Sacre out of scrimmages and the Portland game to allow his hand to heal. We will definitely need him to be at full strength against X.

I would also have him running the floor out of bounds in the scrimmages so that he doesn't lose his game shape. We do look very good offensively, but we need Big Bobby Sugar to be our best offensively, he draws fouls, draws attention away from our guards and helps with the offensive boards.

I also think we need GLE to get far more minutes for us to peak offensively, Mike Hart has played very well at times this year, even offensively - getting big boards and put backs, but no one would argue that he is in for defense, if we can get 90% of Hart's defense and hustle from GLE (and I think we can) then the 3 pt threat that GLE is, the above the rim quality to his game, and the slashing ability really increase our options on offense.

GoZags
12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
The Zags still have pieces of the offense they've yet to insert. I like where they're at right now -- and I believe we'll love where they'll be at in late February/March.

zag67
12-24-2011, 03:32 PM
If Sacre's hand is not good, I would keep him out of practice, Portland and X. We need him more as the season goes on. Good luck to the team (have a happy holiday) and the health of Sacre.

Zag365
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

. . . .

The position that still needs to improve the most is the small forward or the 3. I am hoping that Landry-Edi will develop into the wing player that GU needs in order to beat the best teams In America. IMO, the team right now is not ready to beat the elite teams. They have that much improvement to make. I think Mike Hart is just fine. I love his game and I like his contributions to the team. He is a 17 minutes a game player. What needs to be fixed is who plays those other 23 minutes. The key, I think, will be what becomes of Carter and Landry-Edi. We're only a third of the way into our season, so there is plenty of time to get this worked out. I look forward to the rest of the season to see how this plays out.

Yes, yes, and yes. I share you view completely and would add that for the first time in several years I'm no longer unsure what team will show up night to night. We have been very consistent (and steadily improving). Our depth and balance has been great and thanks goodness given that there is always a chance of injury like the Sacre's thumb sprain.

cjm720
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM
We really get into the set plays faster than I've seen in years. This team is smart!!

kitzbuel
12-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I always hesitate to take a conference game lightly, no matter WHO we play, but it seems to me that it would make sense to keep Sacre out of scrimmages and the Portland game to allow his hand to heal. We will definitely need him to be at full strength against X.

The Portland game is squarely on the road to a conference championship and the auto bid. The X game is a detour that might get us an invite if we win. IMO I would emphasize Rob's play against Portland over X.

Win the game at hand that moves us towards our goal. Worry about the next game in turn.