PDA

View Full Version : We should play LBSU

adoptedzag
12-23-2011, 08:40 PM
How great would it be to have a Monson/Few reunion game.

Zig-Zag
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Few does his best not to play close friends esp those he has coached with. Since Monson left never played him. You will see same with Leon, with Billy no choice in our conference.:ban:

Oregonzagnut
12-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Few does his best not to play close friends esp those he has coached with. Since Monson left never played him. You will see same with Leon, with Billy no choice in our conference.:ban:

My opinion would be that they would love the opportunity to play each other but would hesitate to do so on either's home court out of respect for neutrality.

A "home and home" series would be awesome fun, and appropriate, IMO.

BayAreaZag
12-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Monson has LBSU in the right direction. Beat a previously 8-1 Auburn team tonight, and has hung with some of the best teams in the country. Best 7-5 team out there at the moment.

DixieZag
12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Monson has done an incredible job coaching at "The Beach" - he took over a program that had nothing, they were banned from recruiting JCs, they had a scholarship taken away and within a couple of years he had them going the right direction and now, this year, they are the best 7-5 team out there. IF they win their conference regular season title, they might well be in shape for an at-large, especially with no real Pac 12 teams showing up.

And, the people at LBSU did the right thing and up'd his contract to make him the highest paid coach in his league, I read an article recently about him and his family and they are awefully happy. Good for him, I am not sure that anyone could really have done much better with the Minnesota situation.

Zag@LMU
12-23-2011, 10:48 PM

So thats the real reason we dont play UW...

BayAreaZag
12-23-2011, 10:50 PM
The Beach should get an at large invite if they win the conference (with no more than two / three losses). They are top 10 in RPI and although that will go down when league play starts they have beaten some good teams and have taken really good top 25 teams to the wire in away games.

If anyone is unfamiliar with LBSU, google their basketball arena, it is a pyramid!

TheGonzagaFactor
12-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Hold on...

If Monson keeps them good enough to where we would even want to play them (Few won't), he will be offered a higher paying job and take it. He has left a mid major before, right?

BayAreaZag
12-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Hold on...

If Monson keeps them good enough to where we would even want to play them (Few won't), he will be offered a higher paying job and take it. He has left a mid major before, right?

I am very familiar with the Big West and I don't think Monson leaves this year, unless LBSU makes a run in the tourney. The last few years they have made the Big West title game but have missed out on the dance. It's going to be interesting to see how the Big West plays out because UC Santa Barbara is decent again this year.

Vanzagger
12-24-2011, 01:12 AM
more with less. Those are fun teams to get behind. Keep up the hard work Herman

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-24-2011, 07:40 AM
I am very familiar with the Big West and I don't think Monson leaves this year, unless LBSU makes a run in the tourney. The last few years they have made the Big West title game but have missed out on the dance. It's going to be interesting to see how the Big West plays out because UC Santa Barbara is decent again this year.

SDSU is coming into the conference correct?

TheGonzagaFactor
12-24-2011, 07:42 AM

But why would we want to schedule them next year? They are led by seniors this year, who knows how good they will be next year? We already have a potential RPI-killer in Butler on the schedule in 2012-13, so there is no reason to schedule LBSU unless they rise to consistent elite mid major status. If that happens, Monson will leave for a PAC 12 job which will be available to him.

BayAreaZag
12-24-2011, 11:08 AM
SDSU is coming into the conference correct?

Correct, SDSU is coming into the conference, as is Hawaii.

But why would we want to schedule them next year? They are led by seniors this year, who knows how good they will be next year? We already have a potential RPI-killer in Butler on the schedule in 2012-13, so there is no reason to schedule LBSU unless they rise to consistent elite mid major status. If that happens, Monson will leave for a PAC 12 job which will be available to him.

I am not sure how they are going to be next year, but Monson has stuck around for awhile, so I'm not sure he'd bolt to a Pac-12 school right away.

bballbeachbum
12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
it could happen, assuming both teams make the dance, as the Committee might enjoy the matchup

Colbyspapa
12-26-2011, 02:12 PM
That if the PAC 12 comes offering, he's gone. You are talking about millions of dollars exposure and potential NBA jobs vs coaching in a tier 2/3 conference. Sure he is comfortable now and he learned the grass isn't always greener in the BCS, but the PAC 12 should have 3 or 4 open coaching positions next year at some pretty great schools not on probation. I would guess Monson will be a top candidate, right behind coach Few.

BayAreaZag
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
That if the PAC 12 comes offering, he's gone. You are talking about millions of dollars exposure and potential NBA jobs vs coaching in a tier 2/3 conference. Sure he is comfortable now and he learned the grass isn't always greener in the BCS, but the PAC 12 should have 3 or 4 open coaching positions next year at some pretty great schools not on probation. I would guess Monson will be a top candidate, right behind coach Few.

Seems likely but you never know. People thought Few may leave Gonzaga, Stevens may leave Butler but they stayed, it could happen with Monson. Also, San Diego State and Hawaii are joining the conference, if LBSU keeps having a good slate he may stay and see his options.